Culture!

Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough
Default Culture!

I don't meant to be offensive, but the more I try and think about what Australian culture is, the more I ask myself do they actually have a definitive culture?

I can't really think of any cultural influence that is purely Australian (not including aboriginal culture).

There is the BBQ!

Last edited by andym79; Jun 21st 2007 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Culture!

Originally Posted by andym79
I don't meant to be offensive, but the more I try and think about what Australian culture is, the more I ask myself do they actually have a definitive culture?

I can't really think of any cultural influence that is purely Australian (not including aboriginal culture).
funny you should say that because I struggle to see British culture, apart from Morris Dancing!!!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:52 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Popcorn...?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Culture!

How are you defining "culture"?

We have a unique national sport (Aussie Rules); we have unique slang, we have unique institutions, we have a unique history, we have a unique national identity, we have our own poets, authors, playwrights, singers, actors, composers, artists, musicians, customs, traditions, social mores, architects, builders, inventors, humourists, etc. If that doesn't add up to an Australian culture, I don't know what does.

Try clicking here and see what you make of it.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

Gonnago

funny you should say that because I struggle to see British culture, apart from Morris Dancing!!!
Um,
Well we started of football, rugby and cricket!

Literature including, Beowulf, Chaucer , Defoe, Blake, Wordsworth, Keats, Byron, Austen, the Bronte sisters, Dickens, Thackeray, Eliot, Hardy, and not forgetting Shakespeare!

Britain and the States are still the two main countries in the development of
modern music (though much of it isn't good)!

Architecture, Science I could go on and on.

The point is I wasn't having a go at Australia, I am just curious as to what Australian culture is all about!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

There is the BBQ!
but you dont have morris dancers!!!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Yeah we have loads of culture in UK

CHAVS,
drinking far too much and creating pavement pizzas,

fighting at 4am over a taxi

old stone walls and grotty streets

and ripping each off in a grand style

dusty, dingy pubs ready to be closed down as no-one can afford to go out drinking in them
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:20 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
Yeah we have loads of culture in UK

CHAVS,
drinking far too much and creating pavement pizzas,

fighting at 4am over a taxi

old stone walls and grotty streets

and ripping each off in a grand style

dusty, dingy pubs ready to be closed down as no-one can afford to go out drinking in them

and if you dont think that that doesnt happen over here too your on drugs

take the rose tints off mate

that or take a walk around surfers at 2am
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the link Vash the Stampede.

On bit made me laugh

"In the 1990 gulf war, the United States unveiled its stealth bomber; an $11 billion plane that had been designed "invisible." Three years later, scientists at Australia's CSIRO unveiled the Jindalee Radar System; a $1.5 million dollar invention that, by being by being able to detect the stealth bomber, transformed the $11 billion aircraft into nothing more than an unusual looking plane."

This method has not been proven to work! Also it was actually unveiled in 1988.

Similar story don't know if its true or not. In the 1960's before the Apollo project, the Americans spent millions of $ developing a pen that could write under water, on shinny surfaces such as glass, at high temperature, in zero gravity conditions and in sub zero temperatures! The Russians however just used a pencil!

Last edited by andym79; Jun 21st 2007 at 8:40 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Culture!

Thanks for the link Vash the Stampede.

On bit made me laugh

"In the 1990 gulf war, the United States unveiled its stealth bomber; an $11 billion plane that had been designed "invisible." Three years later, scientists at Australia's CSIRO unveiled the Jindalee Radar System; a $1.5 million dollar invention that, by being by being able to detect the stealth bomber, transformed the $11 billion aircraft into nothing more than an unusual looking plane."

This method has not been proven to work! Also it was actually unveiled in 1988.
Yes, that's a personal favourite. I'd be interested to hear the details about it not working.

Similar story don't know if its true or not. In the 1960's before the Apollo project, the Americans spent millions of $ developing a pen that could write under water, on shinny surfaces such as glass, at high temperature, in zero gravity conditions and in sub zero temperatures! The Russians however just used a pencil!
I've heard that one too - I'd love to see it verified!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, that's a personal favourite. I'd be interested to hear the details about it not working.

I've heard that one too - I'd love to see it verified!
That pen vs pencil thing is a myth.
A very good one though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pen
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o
and if you dont think that that doesnt happen over here too your on drugs

take the rose tints off mate

that or take a walk around surfers at 2am

yeah , really, I lived there for 2 years, has its social problems like anywhere, so I dont have any rose tints on cobber.

I think Aus has great culture, considering the age of the country.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Culture is just about lifestyle, common values and beliefs, rituals and routines.
You will NEVER get a truly homogenous national culture as long as there is freedom of thought, people are too individual and contradictory for that.
Anywhere that there are lots of people, there is culture. Even Australia.
Are you confusing culture with history/tradition? They aren't the same.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

There is the BBQ!
Why can't we include Aboriginal Culture?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Culture!

This method has not been proven to work!
On the contrary, it works rather well:

The first ship was detected in January 1983 and an aircraft automatically tracked in February 1984. Trials were carried out with the Royal Australian Air Force during April 1984, substantially fulfilling the mission of stage B, to demonstrate an OTHR operating in Australia.

[...]

Officially the system allows the Australian Defence Force to observe all air and sea activity north of Australia to distances of 3000km. This encompasses all of Java, Irian Jaya, Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, and halfway across the Indian Ocean. Other sources put the range at 4000km from the Australian coastline or even as far as Taiwan, China and North Korea.

The JORN is so sensitive it was able to track planes taking off and landing in East Timor 2600 km away. It is able to detect a Cessna 172 aeroplane and research is underway to increase the sensitivity by "up to 100 fold".

It is also reportedly able to detect stealth aircraft; aside from the fact that most stealthy aircraft are optimized for defeating much higher-frequency radar from front-on rather than low-frequency radars from above, JORN is reputedly able to detect aircraft wake turbulence.
Wikipedia.

Also:

Stealth aircraft, such as the US Nighthawk F117A, are designed with sharp leading edges and a flat belly to minimise reflections back towards conventional ground-based radars. However, Jindalee radar bounces down from the ionosphere onto upper surfaces that include radar-reflecting protrusions for a cockpit, engine housings and other equipment.

Group Captain Hockings says stealth aircraft are coated with special radar absorbing material to avoid detection by conventional microwave radar. But the Jindalee radar uses high frequency radio waves, which have a much longer frequency than microwave radar.

"Unless designed to be stealthy to both microwave and HF radars, (stealth) aircraft would not evade detection by JORN," he said.
defence-data.com

Also it was actually unveiled in 1988.
It unrolled in three different phases, over a period of thirty years (1972-2003).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.