Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

for crying out loud!

Wikiposts

for crying out loud!

Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: for crying out loud!

I agree with you that it is good to force people to play a part in their local community but this issue has been debated many times before and there has already been 3 referendums held on it.

Even after all this time there still seems to be a 50/50 split between the fors and againsts so I don’t really see the value in another referendum.

I just feel that the WA Govt. doesn’t want to take responsibility for the decision so is passing the buck. Whatever the outcome, and especially if it is a no vote, DSL won’t go away until the govt. makes an official stand one way or the other.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:44 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
I agree with you that it is good to force people to play a part in their local community but this issue has been debated many times before and there has already been 3 referendums held on it.

Even after all this time there still seems to be a 50/50 split between the fors and againsts so I don’t really see the value in another referendum.

I just feel that the WA Govt. doesn’t want to take responsibility for the decision so is passing the buck. Whatever the outcome, and especially if it is a no vote, DSL won’t go away until the govt. makes an official stand one way or the other.
But there's been 1,000 poms a week piling into WA for the last 3 years, not to mention Victorians etc, all of whom are used to DST.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by worzel
But there's been 1,000 poms a week piling into WA for the last 3 years, not to mention Victorians etc, all of whom are used to DST.
Reading the posts earlier in the thread though, not all British immigrants want daylight savings and I would imagine that not all interstate migrants want it either.

For the record I will be voting yes as I am not a morning person and prefer the extra daylight in the evening. So I hope it is a yes vote, but I have a feeling it won't be.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spilko
Interesting you mention kids; I would have thought the evenings were the best time to enjoy with young kids. When we have kids I will definitely be disappointed if we dont have DLS. We used to live nextdoor to a young family in the UK and their 2 kids were playing outside every night after school until it got dark. In summer it was great because they could be out for 4 hours It was great to see; no chance of them being obese, video game addicts.

That extra hour in the evening to spend outdoors with the kids would be precious, much more valuable than it being light when they are eating their breakfast.
IMO anyway.
The kids opposite us are outside playing first thing in the morning, while mum and dad are in the garden, before going to work.

Although I personally am in favour of Daylight Saving, I would think it a bit of a cheek to move somewhere, as I have, and expect the existing residents to change their behaviour to suit me.

Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:07 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Although I personally am in favour of Daylight Saving, I would think it a bit of a cheek to move somewhere, as I have, and expect the existing residents to change their behaviour to suit me.
You'd be fine mate, Redlands voted 61% yes in '92, very much in favour of DST like most of SEQ.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't get the argument that you can't do stuff in the evenings because it's dark. Why not? We go down to the beach for an evening wander, it's fab down there in the moonlight. The girls used to have swimming lessons all year round in an out door pool. They'd start at 5:30 in sunlight and finish at 7:15 under floodlights, footy training carries on etc etc etc.

I also refute the argument that children won't go to sleep when it's light. Mine managed quite nicely when we lived in the UK and it stays light far longer there in summer. If it's time for bed, they go to bed. You close the curtains and they go to sleep. It takes a couple of days to get used to but after that there's no problem.

Hubby works out of a NSW factory but does most of his work in QLD. Sometimes he's away by 5am QLD time, but then he often gets home at 2:30 pm. No biggy.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I really don't get the argument that you can't do stuff in the evenings because it's dark. Why not? We go down to the beach for an evening wander, it's fab down there in the moonlight. The girls used to have swimming lessons all year round in an out door pool. They'd start at 5:30 in sunlight and finish at 7:15 under floodlights, footy training carries on etc etc etc.
Did anyone say that you can't do stuff in the evenings? People were just saying that they would prefer to do it in the light rather than the dark. Slightly different.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by worzel
Its a totally different issue in the UK though as we have much longer summer days (certainly than WA). I don't think it is a sure thing that all the "Poms" would vote fot it.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

The kids opposite us are outside playing first thing in the morning, while mum and dad are in the garden, before going to work.
For how long though.. Not for 2-3 hours I bet which you could with longer evening hours..

As I see it, in a normal day there is chance for much more quality time after work/school (before bedtime) than there is time in the morning. Therefore better to have as much of this later time with daylight then without..

Anyway, it will be a no vote in WA so not much pointing in wasting time in too much debate.

ps I did notice how early it went dark tonight; would be so depressing to have it happen an hour earlier.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ps I did notice how early it went dark tonight; would be so depressing to have it happen an hour earlier.
Yes, I noticed that too. One minute it was all bright sunshine, kids in pool etc, next minute it was dark and having to drag them out. Happened quite quickly.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
Yes, I noticed that too. One minute it was all bright sunshine, kids in pool etc, next minute it was dark and having to drag them out. Happened quite quickly.
It was at least 7.45. My kids were in the pj's at that time almost ready for bed, how old are your children?

PS does your pool area not have lights, mine does and so does the pool.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

It will be interesting indeed to see if WA wants to join the rest of civilisation and adopt Daylight Saving time!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
It will be interesting indeed to see if WA wants to join the rest of civilisation and adopt Daylight Saving time!
I do hope not. Wish I had a vote
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:29 am
ABCDiamond

For how long though.. Not for 2-3 hours I bet which you could with longer evening hours..
But they have Dinner and do homework in the evenings, and then to bed, so they wouldn't actually gain, unless they changed to do homework in the mornings, so they could stay out late in the evening.

I can understand why many locals are against it, when they are being asked to change their routines for the sake of newcomers, and then being called "backwards", amongst other things for not wanting to.

Daylight savings would only gain 1 hour in the evening anyway, not 2-3.

Where I am, today's sunrise was 5:35 am with sunset at 6:28 pm.
The builders were working on the new houses, being built behind us, at just after 6am.

Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand why many locals are against it, when they are being asked to change their routines for the sake of newcomers,
That's not the case though is it. As I mentioned previously, South East Queensland voted overwhelmingly in favour of adopting DST. Some figures from your area:

Redlands: Yes - 11055, No - 6987
Capalaba: Yes - 11596, No - 5677

And this was in 1992.......long before mexicans apparently discovered Qld. So who exactly are these newcomers that are apparently rocking the boat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.