Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

for crying out loud!

for crying out loud!

Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: for crying out loud!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I can understand why many locals are against it, when they are being asked to change their routines for the sake of newcomers, and then being called "backwards", amongst other things for not wanting to.

Daylight savings would only gain 1 hour in the evening anyway, not 2-3.

Where I am, today's sunrise was 5:35 am with sunset at 6:28 pm.
The builders were working on the new houses, being built behind us, at just after 6am.
And that is exactly why many will vote against it; because they WRONGLY perceive it is being introduced for the sake of newcomers. A typical bit of spin. Very few people seem to be against it for the same reason as you, i.e. because they prefer to spend quality time in the morning. That's a valid reason. The usual reasons seem to be 1) they don't want to change, 2) they are sick of being asked 3) they can't get up when its dark 4) why should they change to suit the east coast. All pathetic reasons IMO.

If you read my note carefully I never said it would gain 2-3 hours. But adding that extra hour gives you 2-3 hours at night to enjoy the outside whereas I would guess most people may grab half an hour in a morning if they could be bothered.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:27 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
That's not the case though is it. As I mentioned previously, South East Queensland voted overwhelmingly in favour of adopting DST. Some figures from your area:

Redlands: Yes - 11055, No - 6987
Capalaba: Yes - 11596, No - 5677

And this was in 1992.......long before mexicans apparently discovered Qld. So who exactly are these newcomers that are apparently rocking the boat?
Net Interstate migration into QLD was greater back in 1992 than it is now.
148,972 QLD Net interstate migration 1988-1992
107,073 QLD Net interstate migration 2004-2008

http://www.oesr.qld.gov.au/publicati...ld/index.shtml

1992 QLD Daylight Saving Referendum Result
744,686 In Favour of DSL (45.5%)
892,119 Against DSL (54.5%)

If we assume all those 148,972 "mexicans" from those 3 years were in favour, and exclude them, the result would have been closer to:

595,714 In Favour of DSL (40.0%)
892,119 Against DSL (60.0%)

Most of those "mexicans" probably stayed in SEQLD.

Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spilko
All pathetic reasons IMO.
Pathetic Backward people will find it hard to agree with people who have no respect for their opinions.

Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:34 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If we assume all those 148,972 "mexicans" from those 3 years were in favour, and exclude them, the result would have been closer to:
I'm sure you realise that's not a reasonable assumption.

And if those 61% of people in Redlands who voted yes are still living there, do you still consider them newcomers 17 years later if they originally came from elsewhere?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Pathetic Backward people will find it hard to agree with people who have no respect for their opinions.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as I am entitled to think those opinions are pathetic.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:08 pm
ABCDiamond

I'm sure you realise that's not a reasonable assumption.
I do agree, however I did make a mistake in my figures it should have been:

412,165 people (gross Inwards migration) moved into QLD during July 1988 and June 1992
If we assumed all of those "mexicans" were in favour of DSL and remove their votes, the result would have been:
332,521 In Favour of DSL 27.2%
892,119 Against DSL 72.8%

However, if we say that half voted FOR DSL and half AGAINST, it would have been:
538,604 In Favour of DSL 44.0%
686,036 Against DSL 56.0%

This is actually very close to the actual result, indicating that about half of all newcomers actually did not want DSL, maybe they came here to get away from it in other States ?

And if those 61% of people in Redlands who voted yes are still living there, do you still consider them newcomers 17 years later if they originally came from elsewhere?
Only another vote would answer that, as even more of them may have acclimatised to the natural sunset/sunrise by now ?

It isn't an easy question, and has raised questions since 1907, even in the UK.

When the original plan was put forward in the UK, in 1907, the proposer was asked "Why don't you just get up an hour earlier".

Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:26 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Only another vote would answer that, as even more of them may have acclimatised to the natural sunset/sunrise by now ?
Agreed - and I don't agree with holding one referendum after another until someone gets the result they want.

However, the state government must have considered it - they commisioned AC Nielsen in 2007 to guage the feelings in the state.

Qld wide 59% were in favour of DST, 69% in SE Qld. 52% outside of SEQ were opposed. Then Anna Bligh ruled out another referndum, citing the fact that the results of the study were 'conclusive'!

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/vie...P2778-2007.pdf

'Listening to the regions and governing for all of Queensland'. The first part of that sentence, clearly Yes, the second part......not so sure.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:44 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i dont give a shit,im just happy to take that first breath in the morning and realise im another day in debt
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:11 am
ABCDiamond

Then Anna Bligh ruled out another referndum, citing the fact that the results of the study were 'conclusive'!
Thats Anna Bligh !!

I've just realised my figures were wrong even on the second time.

The flu is in this house, panadol is keeping away the headaches, but my mind is obviously not 100%.

I think i'll give up for the day.......