Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

for crying out loud!

for crying out loud!

Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Campergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant future
Default Re: for crying out loud!

Originally Posted by TMRE
The question to be asked is:

``Are you in favour of daylight saving being introduced in Western Australia by standard time in the state being advanced one hour from the last Sunday in October 2009 until the last Sunday in March 2010 and in similar fashion for each following year?''

Where do you pause for breath
When they had this referendum back in the v early 90's, people in the State outside Perth didn't want daylight saving introduced as they were worried their curtains would fade.....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campergirl
When they had this referendum back in the v early 90's, people in the State outside Perth didn't want daylight saving introduced as they were worried their curtains would fade.....
Many Queenslanders still use that as an argument, and believe it. Goes along with the confused cows and chickens.......oh and of course our Premier who said if we have an extra hour of sunlight every day we will all die of skin cancer.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:20 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Many Queenslanders still use that as an argument, and believe it. ....
Ridiculous 'cos ACTUALLY your curtains will fade LESS with daylight savings than they would without! Dont believe me?:

Heres the facts:

1) With DST you get more light in the EVENING not MORNING
2) Curtains fade more when they are closed (and therefore exposed to more UV)
3) You're more likely to leave your curtains closed in the early morning before you get up (thus exposing them unnecessarily to UV) than you are to close them as before the sun drops in the early evening.

Combine 1) 2) and 3) and the logic follows that curtains MUST fade less if you have DST.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
3) You're more likely to leave your curtains closed in the early morning before you get up (thus exposing them unnecessarily to UV) than you are to close them as before the sun drops in the early evening.

Combine 1) 2) and 3) and the logic follows that curtains MUST fade less if you have DST.
Ah, but.... Don't Queenslanders leave the curtains closed during the day, to keep the sun out, and open them at night to allow the breeze into the room easier ?

I know some that do....

Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:30 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

What happens if you've got blinds?!

Em x
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
What happens if you've got blinds?!

Em x
I think that means you're posh
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think that means you're posh

Won't mention that I got them from Ikea then!

Em x
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Cor blimey i didnt realise i was posh and all that, ive got blinds. Actually there is a house in our little bit that never opens their curtains, its a shame that they obviously cant see the amount of crap behind the curtains from the road.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by suzyt
Cor blimey i didnt realise i was posh and all that, ive got blinds. Actually there is a house in our little bit that never opens their curtains, its a shame that they obviously cant see the amount of crap behind the curtains from the road.
what? never? Make sure you have some garlic if need to knock on the door..

Em x
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Campergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant futureCampergirl has a brilliant future

When I lived in Perth, I was obviously so very not posh - we had newspaper up at the windows.... well, it was a new build ... but I left the curtains closed in the one bedroom where we had curtains - it kept the heat out during the day.

I still do it over here - to keep the heat in as the temperature is 0.5 above this morning and thick frost everywhere.....

ETA: I'm in London, obviously )
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Lots of people seem to prefer the lighter mornings.

The odds are that it will be rejected again:
Every decade WA gets a referendum, and each time it is voted down.

1978 53.66% against,
1984 54.35% against,
1992 53.14% against.
2009 ? It will be interesting to see
Showing how backwards residents of WA are. Supposed to be an outdoor lifestyle yet folks don't want all the daylight hours they can get in the evening. Nothing worse than coming home from work and having no hours to get outside and do things.

But then I guess most Ozzies like to sit inside with their takeaways at night.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spilko
Showing how backwards residents of WA are. Supposed to be an outdoor lifestyle yet folks don't want all the daylight hours they can get in the evening. Nothing worse than coming home from work and having no hours to get outside and do things.

I do all those things in the morning and with DLS it is too damn dark. If being opposed to DLS makes me backward then so be it.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:31 am
ABCDiamond

Why is it backward for people to enjoy doing things in the mornings ?

Oh yes, of course, because the British do things differently, and if things are not done the British way, then they must be backwards ...

Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by northernbird
I do all those things in the morning and with DLS it is too damn dark. If being opposed to DLS makes me backward then so be it.
Even without DLS you would have to get up at 5am to get a decent amount of time to do anything; and if you do that then fair play to you. I'd still much prefer the time at night. It could be dark until 9am everyday for me if it gave me more time in the evening.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Even without DLS you would have to get up at 5am to get a decent amount of time to do anything; and if you do that then fair play to you. I'd still much prefer the time at night. It could be dark until 9am everyday for me if it gave me more time in the evening.
I have kids so I don't get chance to do much in the evenings so it doesn't bother me that it is dark, particularly during school time. Each to their own eh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.