Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Originally Posted by papilon
I knew you would bring the Olympics up. Olympics are just political ego trips and are nothing like mainstream professional sports.

Demetrio earns an incredible $5 mill a year he is not going to get anywhere near that much overseas and will not be getting of that gravy train unless he is pushed. When the verdicts about the Essendon scandal were handed down Demetrio was overseas on a junket. Biggest scandal in AFL history and the CEO is overseas.
'Frankly my dear' I don't give a pinch of the proverbial about how much the AFL Chief Executive earns. FWIW he's more than paid the salary he earns for the TV broadcasting deals he has brokered amongst other things. Want to get back to the cricket? No? Guessed not.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
'Frankly my dear' I don't give a pinch of the proverbial about how much the AFL Chief Executive earns. FWIW he's more than paid the salary he earns for the TV broadcasting deals he has brokered amongst other things. Want to get back to the cricket? No? Guessed not.
And this is why beating Australia is so fun when it happens, your bad losers but even worse winners.

I've said it before and I will say it again England are more than capable of beating this average Australian side. Not a lot is going Englands way at the moment and many of the players are in a bad place but that can all change very quickly.

I feel Clarke not following on yesterday coul be pivotal and be seen as the point the tide turned for England. I heard all the arguments why but England were in a total mess and the top order could have been despatched yesterday. Englands bowlers did ok yesterday afternoon and have a chance to build some more confidence in the morning. If Englands batsmen can then find some form and post some respectable scores then they can take that into Perth. Bell moves to 3. Root put on notice and dropped if he fails again. Bell and Carberry already batting decently.

We can lose this test which looks likely but we can still draw the series.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 9:20 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
England ain't coming back from this
I try to remain optimistic and SURELY they can't bat this badly for an entire series but the signs are pretty bad.

Given the lead up was exactly stellar (close series in the England that they could have lost, not great warm-up games) it would appear to be more of a trend than a blip.

But I can still see a 2-2 drawn series ... just.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

What we seem to be forgetting amongst all the cricket is one simple but very important fact. That is that Carvery's hat looks bloody stoopid
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

And this is why beating Australia is so fun when it happens, your bad losers but even worse winners.

I've said it before and I will say it again England are more than capable of beating this average Australian side. Not a lot is going Englands way at the moment and many of the players are in a bad place but that can all change very quickly.

I feel Clarke not following on yesterday coul be pivotal and be seen as the point the tide turned for England. I heard all the arguments why but England were in a total mess and the top order could have been despatched yesterday. Englands bowlers did ok yesterday afternoon and have a chance to build some more confidence in the morning. If Englands batsmen can then find some form and post some respectable scores then they can take that into Perth. Bell moves to 3. Root put on notice and dropped if he fails again. Bell and Carberry already batting decently.

You are a nasty individual ..... and a bad loser
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I try to remain optimistic and SURELY they can't bat this badly for an entire series but the signs are pretty bad.

Given the lead up was exactly stellar (close series in the England that they could have lost, not great warm-up games) it would appear to be more of a trend than a blip.

But I can still see a 2-2 drawn series ... just.
Why not. Johnson could get injured today. Oz go to Perth without him, lose the toss, Eng win, its 2-1 with 2 tests to go.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

The one thing I can't get used to is the scoring, you know the wickets for runs vs the runs for wickets(the proper way of course)

Well I just had a look on the BBC website and saw we were 2 for one, I was in Aussie scoring mode and to be honest my heart fluttered, I thought it had all gone wrong, but then I realised it was English scoring and I calmed down again.

Did I say Cooky would get 300? oops
Old Dec 8th 2013, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Remember Faf du Plesis last year on this ground ....
Old Dec 8th 2013, 2:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
The one thing I can't get used to is the scoring, you know the wickets for runs vs the runs for wickets(the proper way of course)

Well I just had a look on the BBC website and saw we were 2 for one, I was in Aussie scoring mode and to be honest my heart fluttered, I thought it had all gone wrong, but then I realised it was English scoring and I calmed down again.

Did I say Cooky would get 300? oops
I think Australia is the only country that puts wickets first

Talk about being difficult......
Old Dec 8th 2013, 3:03 am
Account Closed

No one say a bloody word, nothing at all.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Why am I a bad winner when all you do is deflect the fact you are losing with discussion of AFL pay, cost of Adelaide Oval?

FWIW I thought we didn't bowl particularly well today and 4 got out to poor shot selection because of the state of the game and the state of their mind.

Rain dance in order otherwise the inevitable will happen tomorrow.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 7:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

England need a new captain. Cook's form is terrible and he is being carried

Good teams play well when their captain is playing well - Smith, Vaughan, Clarke, Waugh etc

Good luck if you stick with Cook - you'll need it
Old Dec 8th 2013, 7:17 am
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Maybe but it would take something special - something I don't think they have at the moment

The team of '05 they ain't
Yup we got the Aussis on the run now.
I hope they dont spoil it tonight, and go out and dig up the pitch.
A bit of Rain, then a 165 from Broad, with a 156 from Prior, tomorrow.
Sets up the Perth Test quite well.
Ah the English will be sleeping well tonight.......
Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

England need a new captain. Cook's form is terrible and he is being carried

Good teams play well when their captain is playing well - Smith, Vaughan, Clarke, Waugh etc

Good luck if you stick with Cook - you'll need it
Joe Root should put his hand up.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Some good wickets today, but England would be 7 down if we hadn't wasted an earlier review. Should have been able to finish them off.

Thunderstorm & rain forecast for tomorrow, so it looks like England will be rescued by the weather yet again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.