Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Aug 5th 2013, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One thing that has struck me with this series is how competitive Australia are. They were close to winning the 1st test, admittedly got smashed in the 2nd and even stevens in this one

A few decisions going the other way and this series could have easily been 1-1 (or even 1-2 Australia) with 2 to play

I reckoned before this series that England are not as good as they think they are - and that's still the case
I disagree. England are a very good test side that has a number of players out of form currently which happens to every side now anad again.

Cook - out of form
Trott - well out of form
Root - still finding his way but loads of potential, will be world class.
Bairstow - again loads of talent but may or may not make it at test level
Prior - out of form
KP - found some form with the bat at last but has been out of form for the first two tests.

That is 6 top players that are currently struggling a little with their own form.

The best sides in the wolrd find a way to win series when they aren't playing well and also to avoid losing test matches after a few bad sessions.

England haven't been playing as well as they can but they are still winning and that is what counts. If it all clicked for England they could smash Australia within 2 days I think but sometimes avoiding defeat after not playing well can be just as satisfying.

Last edited by Jon77; Aug 5th 2013 at 3:50 am.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 3:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
I disagree. England are a very good test side that has a number of players out of form currently which happens to every side now anad again.

Cook - out of form
Trott - well out of form
Root - still finding his way but loads of potential, will be world class.
Bairstow - again loads of talent but may or may not make it at test level
Prior - out of form
KP - found some form with the bat at last but has been out of form for the first two tests.

That is 6 top players that are currently struggling a little with their own form.

The best sides in the wolrd find a way to win series when they aren't playing well and also to avoid losing test matches after a few bad sessions.

England haven't been playing as well as they can but they are still winning and that is what counts. If it all clicked for England they could smash Australia within 2 days I think.
England are an okay test side but not as good as they think they are. Agree that they can get better

The series in Australia will be interesting
Old Aug 5th 2013, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

England are an okay test side but not as good as they think they are. Agree that they can get better

The series in Australia will be interesting
The test series in Australia will be very hard unless the players mentioned above start to find their form.

Root I am very much looking forward to seeing in Australia. I think he is a very exciting young talent indeed, has the potential to be the worlds best and I am hoping we might start to see the best if him down here.

Bairstow I am yet to be convinced about.

I fancy the series down here will end 2-2 with a draw thrown in somewhere, probably Melbourne as Sydney is a result pitch.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:11 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Series could have gone either way with a few decisions going differently
ok, let's just say, all of the controversial decisions go the other way than how they did in that first test....

Agar gets dismissed on 6 instead of 98. Last wicket partnership 163, means Aus are 163 runs in arrears in the first innings. Root doesn't get given out, perhaps makes another 10 or so runs to be conservative, puts us now 173 runs ahead. Trott gets given not out. Let's say conservatively he gets another 20 runs, now puts us 193 runs ahead. Broad gets given out on 31, instead of 65, now puts us 159 runs ahead of where it finished.

There were no other controversial calls by my reckoning in that test, other than Rogers being given out LBW that hawk-eye later showed was just clipping, so that is fair enough.

So unless you want to be selective with the calls, and it is fair to say that the ones that went against England were far more costly in terms of runs than the ones that went against Australia, your claim has no substance. Aus, simply got as close as the cricketing gods could have allowed them in that game. The Aussies mistakenly took too much from the closeness of the test to consider that they were lucky in getting that close in the first place. The result being the carnage we saw at Lord's

Likewise, England took too much heart from the resounding win and didn't really turn up at OT. There are a couple of other factors at OT too. Whoever won the toss there was always going to have a big advantage, but also, that pitch is the closest the Aussies are going to see to a Aussie-style pitch in this series. As we know, even this crap Aussie lineup can play well on their own soil, look at how close the series v the Saffas was, where they were unlucky not to get out of it with a series win.

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Aug 5th 2013 at 4:13 am. Reason: .
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
ok, let's just say, all of the controversial decisions go the other way than how they did in that first test....

Agar gets dismissed on 6 instead of 98. Last wicket partnership 163, means Aus are 163 runs in arrears in the first innings. Root doesn't get given out, perhaps makes another 10 or so runs to be conservative, puts us now 173 runs ahead. Trott gets given not out. Let's say conservatively he gets another 20 runs, now puts us 193 runs ahead. Broad gets given out on 31, instead of 65, now puts us 159 runs ahead of where it finished.

There were no other controversial calls by my reckoning in that test, other than Rogers being given out LBW that hawk-eye later showed was just clipping, so that is fair enough.

So unless you want to be selective with the calls, and it is fair to say that the ones that went against England were far more costly in terms of runs than the ones that went against England, your claim has no substance. Aus, simply got as close as the cricketing gods could have allowed them in that game. The Aussies mistakenly took too much from the closeness off the test to consider that they were lucky in getting that close in the first place. The result being the carnage we saw at Lord's

Likewise, England took too much heart from the resounding win and didn't really turn up at OT. There are a couple of other factors at OT too. Whoever won the toss there was always going to have a big advantage, but also, that pitch is the closest the Aussies are going to see to a Aussie-style pitch in this series. As we know, even this crap Aussie lineup can play well on their own soil, look at how close the series v the Saffas was, where they were unlucky not to get out of it with a series win.
Paralysis by analysis

Series could be going either way with a few different decisions

England are not as good as they think they are

Australia are not as bad as England thought they were

Basically 2 average test teams with a few good players each but both can get better
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:19 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Paralysis by analysis

Series could be going either way with a few different decisions
substantiate it, or shut up

I've given you the facts of the game, now tell me, what parts of the first test if had gone differently would have altered the outcome?

Likewise, your beloved SA were VERY lucky to have beaten Aus recently. A few weather gods gone a different way and you would have lost the series 2-1. to a very average team at that.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

substantiate it, or shut up

I've given you the facts of the game, now tell me, what parts of the first test if had gone differently would have altered the outcome?

Likewise, your beloved SA were VERY lucky to have beaten Aus recently. A few weather gods gone a different way and you would have lost the series 2-1. to a very average team at that.
Chillax turbo. I don't gotta do shit

A few decisions either way and the series could be very different

2 average teams but both could improve
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:29 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Chillax turbo. I don't gotta do shit

A few decisions either way and the series could be very different

2 average teams but both could improve
I can see why you support Tony Abbott, especially when asked to justify 2 second sound bytes
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

So unless you want to be selective with the calls, and it is fair to say that the ones that went against England were far more costly in terms of runs than the ones that went against Australia, your claim has no substance. Aus, simply got as close as the cricketing gods could have allowed them in that game. The Aussies mistakenly took too much from the closeness of the test to consider that they were lucky in getting that close in the first place. The result being the carnage we saw at Lord's

Agreed, England clearly were 'disadvantaged' most by the dodgy decisions and those decisions in the end flattered Australia. Agars one off score wouldnt have happened and the game would have finished much earlier. Its clear to see.
England have an excellent team that just arent quite firing on all cylinders. I expect the series to be closer in Australia as the pitches will quite rightly favour the home team but I dont think the final result will be any different, the Ashes wont be leaving these shores just yet.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

I can see why you support Tony Abbott, especially when asked to justify 2 second sound bytes
Jeez what's your problem? You replied to my post (which you obviously disagreed with) by name calling and by getting arsey. We can debate without this shit but you obviously don't want to

We disagree on this. Whoopee f**king doo, who gives a shit - get over yourself

I see 2 average teams - both of which I dislike - playing a series that with a few different decisions could be in a very different place. You don't - everyone's a winner
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:22 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Jeez what's your problem? You replied to my post (which you obviously disagreed with) by name calling and by getting arsey. We can debate without this shit but you obviously don't want to
where exactly did I name call you? If anyone called anyone names it was you with the term "turbo"
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

where exactly did I name call you? If anyone called anyone names it was you with the term "turbo"
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:26 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Oh, yes, England hater. Well it is quite a commonly known fact on here that he is.

Point taken
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - back to the cricket, who do we reckon will come out to bat then if rain doesn't halt play today?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:29 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know why people rise to his stinky old bait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.