Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Wikiposts

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:37 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Well useless third umpire Erasmus manages to cost England twice in the day.

That Trott dismissal was bull! The on-field umpire gives it not out. Which means the review system has to CONCLUSIVELY prove otherwise. Hotspot showed nothing, but that is not unusual. However slow mo replays show the ball deviating into the pads as it goes past the bat. How he has been able to conclusively state that he has NOT hit that it beyond me. YET he was obviously able to conclusively see that Agar's foot was behind the line when no one else could.

So far, he has cost England a +90 aggregate on the first innings as well as a second innings wicket.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders

That Trott dismissal was bull! The on-field umpire gives it not out. Which means the review system has to CONCLUSIVELY prove otherwise. Hotspot showed nothing, but that is not unusual. However slow mo replays show the ball deviating into the pads as it goes past the bat. How he has been able to conclusively state that he has NOT hit that it beyond me. YET he was obviously able to conclusively see that Agar's foot was behind the line when no one else could.

So far, he has cost England a +90 aggregate on the first innings as well as a second innings wicket.
Couple of very odd decisions weren't they; good night watching cricket overall, but we did spend a lot of time analysing the whats and whys of those two.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:43 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, a couple of dodgy decisions but the good guys will prevail, keep the faith
Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you about Trott but there was enough doubt on the Agar call to give him not out. The rules for DRS are clear and the TV ref did not apply them with Trott

DRS works if the rules are followed. Maybe India have a point
Old Jul 11th 2013, 4:32 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree with you about Trott but there was enough doubt on the Agar call to give him not out. The rules for DRS are clear and the TV ref did not apply them with Trott

DRS works if the rules are followed. Maybe India have a point
I've always been of the view that I do not agree with DRS, not because of the technology itself, but the human interpretation of it. The technology is clearly flawed, in that it is not 100% correct. That I do not have a problem with. My problem is that the idiot umpires who interpret the DRS findings do not take this into consideration.

We have seen countless examples of hotspot not showing a mark when a player has clearly got a good edge on the ball. Hawk eye is expected to deliberate on LBW decisions where the margins are in millimetres, yet it has a margin of error of centimetres. Umpires never take this into account, they simply take a robotic response to "what DRS says goes". If they learned to use their judgement a little more then the likes of the Trott dismissal would never happen.

DRS was brought in to eliminate the shockers from the game. Yesterday, an on field umpire made a brave and very correct decision, only for a blind tosser in an office using flawed technology to over-rule it and produce a shocker.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been of the view that I do not agree with DRS, not because of the technology itself, but the human interpretation of it. The technology is clearly flawed, in that it is not 100% correct. That I do not have a problem with. My problem is that the idiot umpires who interpret the DRS findings do not take this into consideration.

We have seen countless examples of hotspot not showing a mark when a player has clearly got a good edge on the ball. Hawk eye is expected to deliberate on LBW decisions where the margins are in millimetres, yet it has a margin of error of centimetres. Umpires never take this into account, they simply take a robotic response to "what DRS says goes". If they learned to use their judgement a little more then the likes of the Trott dismissal would never happen.

DRS was brought in to eliminate the shockers from the game. Yesterday, an on field umpire made a brave and very correct decision, only for a blind tosser in an office using flawed technology to over-rule it and produce a shocker.

Hopefully it will improve over time, which I'm sure it will.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:38 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Hopefully it will improve over time, which I'm sure it will.
It's perfectly possible to track ball, bat and wickets with arbitrary accuracy throughout the strike. Just think how old Hawk Eye is, and where it came from originally...

And it's perfectly possible to deliver that to an earpiece on the hat of the ref, in real time.

No need to play silly games, the technology is quite up to replacing the ref in these matters.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's perfectly possible to track ball, bat and wickets with arbitrary accuracy throughout the strike. Just think how old Hawk Eye is, and where it came from originally...

And it's perfectly possible to deliver that to an earpiece on the hat of the ref, in real time.

No need to play silly games, the technology is quite up to replacing the ref in these matters.
I agree completely.

Overall, I think it is a whole lot better than just an Ump making a decision on his own. Some mistakes will be made with all technology and interpretations, but overall it is a vast improvement. I'm all for it.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon a lead of 200 will do it, Eng/Wales/SA leading by 93 with 6 wickets in hand right now ... Attritional cricket on a slow, low surface, good stuff, a proper contest.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:38 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I reckon a lead of 200 will do it, Eng/Wales/SA leading by 93 with 6 wickets in hand right now ... Attritional cricket on a slow, low surface, good stuff, a proper contest.
Working day shift tomorrow so i have to get zzzzs, just hope there is stuff left to watch tomorrow night..... Its a good battle
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Chasing 200 will be a challenge for oz. Pitch holding up will though. At 3pm were confident for that train to nottingham in the morning. 5 for 203. But hey this is the ashes. Still could be all over by stumps.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Having had to sleep through the last three hours of play it was a nice surprise to wake up this morning and find there will be action left to see tonight
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:01 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Having had to sleep through the last three hours of play it was a nice surprise to wake up this morning and find there will be action left to see tonight
Much too see, accumulate a pile of bonus runs and then skittle them out

Nice to see the umpiring howlers are evening up already ...
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:13 am
Home and Happy

Much too see, accumulate a pile of bonus runs and then skittle them out

Nice to see the umpiring howlers are evening up already ...
Yep, its not so bad if the stuff-ups are evenly balanced is it
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of controversy around Broad not walking when he was clearly out, but not so much surrounding Trott when he was clearly not out. What goes around comes around. May have to pull Trevor Chappell out of the bag if the Aussies go for the old spirit of the game whinge. Great game innit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.