Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Wikiposts

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Indeed, I think the next series will be closer, Australia might even win a test
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Indeed, I think the next series will be closer, Australia might even win a test
We shall but see.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:29 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I genuinely believe that unless England improve they will be handing back the Ashes later this year. Our batting is a shambles at the moment, only saved by the fact that the Aussie's batting is even more shambolic. Old Trafford should have been a warning of what lies ahead in Aus.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I genuinely believe that unless England improve they will be handing back the Ashes later this year. Our batting is a shambles at the moment, only saved by the fact that the Aussie's batting is even more shambolic. Old Trafford should have been a warning of what lies ahead in Aus.
There's going to be English blood at the WACA..
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
There's going to be English blood at the WACA..
Is Warner going to start throwing his fists around again is he? Other than that I see no aggresion from the Aussie side other than the odd well aimed standard bouncer. The English bowlers could get more out of the hard Perth track then the Aussies, just as likely.

Anyway hopefully by the Australian summer England will have found their form again. I mean we have been pretty awful all series will the odd exception like Broad & Anderson's bowling and Bells batting. We have pretty much beaten Australia with one hand tied behind our backs.

So many Aussies seem to think t will be a walk over for them in Australia, all this talk of revenge and what they are going to do to England. They need to back all this talk up with how they are going to do this and who.

What I see is the prospect of a very close ashes series in Australia, much closer then this one. And yes Australia might well nick back the urn but there is lots of ***** being spouted by Aussie fans right now.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Is Warner going to start throwing his fists around again is he? Other than that I see no aggresion from the Aussie side other than the odd well aimed standard bouncer. The English bowlers could get more out of the hard Perth track then the Aussies, just as likely.
You should really quote your sources Jon

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/...cle3841130.ece

I mean we have been pretty awful all series will the odd exception like Broad & Anderson's bowling and Bells batting.
Did you mean Bresnan? Jimmy's figures for the last 3 tests are 7/371. That's 2 and a bit wickets a match.

We have pretty much beaten Australia with one hand tied behind our backs.
Yeah not quite. There were no innings defeats, etc, etc. Get a few of those and you can probably claim a bit of that

So many Aussies seem to think t will be a walk over for them in Australia, all this talk of revenge and what they are going to do to England. They need to back all this talk up with how they are going to do this and who.

What I see is the prospect of a very close ashes series in Australia, much closer then this one. And yes Australia might well nick back the urn but there is lots of ***** being spouted by Aussie fans right now.
Really ...... are you in Australia? Really? All I hear locally is "where do we go from here", "how do we fix the batting", etc, etc

Jon don't take this the wrong way as you are clearly a good sports lover which is a great thing, but your knowledge of the game is poor at best.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You should really quote your sources Jon

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/...cle3841130.ece

Did you mean Bresnan? Jimmy's figures for the last 3 tests are 7/371. That's 2 and a bit wickets a match.

Yeah not quite. There were no innings defeats, etc, etc. Get a few of those and you can probably claim a bit of that

Really ...... are you in Australia? Really? All I hear locally is "where do we go from here", "how do we fix the batting", etc, etc

Jon don't take this the wrong way as you are clearly a good sports lover which is a great thing, but your knowledge of the game is poor at best.
I comment as someone who has watched and played the game. I played at a reasonable level for a regional competition in the North of England from 1994 - 2002. Never a full captain of the side but a vice captain who could step up and lead when required. I love many other sports such as football and rugby but cricket is the sport I love the most, especially the longer version of the game.

If you want to take from that one post that I have no knowledge of the game then so be it. I won't waste any further time justifying myself any longer, I am confortable with the knowledge I have is good. always room for improvement I will admit, but then I am never one to confess I know it all and am happy to listen to other opinions / views and not jump to conclusions.

Last edited by Jon77; Aug 13th 2013 at 3:31 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Never a full captain of the side but a vice captain who could step up and lead when required.
That sounds like Ricky Ponting ...... step up and lead when Warnie wasn't around
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow .... just had my first chance to see the end of the oz innings. England got that ball reversing like a b***ard. Shine on the way it was going, moving miles on a day 4 pitch. Good bowling - not much you can do about that as a batsman.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe so many people on here think the aussies have a good chance in Australia. They have been thrashed by a sub par England. Cook, Trott and Prior have been well out of form and Pietersen Root not much better but as the old adage goes. Form is temporary but class is permanent. Don't worry they will be back and Australian pitches hold no gremlins for any of these guys. They scored heavily last time and will do so again. Add A now fit again Tremlett and Finn to the already formidable bowling lineup. England already know there team, they are settled, confident and know how to win. The Ashes will not be changing hands for the foreseeable future. Australia are awful and it's vgoing to get worse before it gets better. Lehman was also not the right choice and will be out the door after a home series defeat.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by papilon
They have been thrashed by a sub par England. Cook, Trott and Prior have been well out of form and Pietersen Root not much better but as the old adage goes. Form is temporary but class is permanent.
You know, Watson and Hughes were in form once. Just saying

Out of interest, who would you replace if Tremlett and Finn were fit?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:37 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe so many people on here think the aussies have a good chance in Australia. They have been thrashed by a sub par England. Cook, Trott and Prior have been well out of form and Pietersen Root not much better but as the old adage goes. Form is temporary but class is permanent. Don't worry they will be back and Australian pitches hold no gremlins for any of these guys. They scored heavily last time and will do so again. Add A now fit again Tremlett and Finn to the already formidable bowling lineup. England already know there team, they are settled, confident and know how to win. The Ashes will not be changing hands for the foreseeable future. Australia are awful and it's vgoing to get worse before it gets better. Lehman was also not the right choice and will be out the door after a home series defeat.
Absolutely, I dont think Australia will suddenly become a force to be reckoned with because they are at home. England are 3-0 up with a team firing on 4 out of 8 cylinders, if they even get to 6 it will be too easy
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You know, Watson and Hughes were in form once. Just saying

Out of interest, who would you replace if Tremlett and Finn were fit?
Hughes in form??? If your talking about 1 series in SA as a debutant then c'mon.
Watson has always been very inconsistent. After all these years what is he? Nobody seems to know. All rounder, opener, bowler, batsman? ??? Or just an average player who struggles very hard to stay fit.

Tremlett and Finn will both be used in Australia if fit, on the hard and fast Aussie wickets they both offer something different because of their height. They both played last time to good effect. Anderson, Broad, Finn, Bresnan and Tremlett. Scary!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

After all these years what is he? Nobody seems to know. All rounder, opener, bowler, batsman? ???
I have a hunch he might be an all-rounder. Just a hunch though.

Tremlett and Finn will both be used in Australia if fit, on the hard and fast Aussie wickets they both offer something different because of their height. They both played last time to good effect. Anderson, Broad, Finn, Bresnan and Tremlett. Scary!
5 seamers in the same team. That would be for the WACA test right?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I mean we have been pretty awful all series will the odd exception like Broad & Anderson's bowling and Bells batting. We have pretty much beaten Australia with one hand tied behind our backs.
Simple question. Please explain why you have had one hand tied behind your backs?

You are playing at home, you hold the Ashes, you are apparently playing a poor team, what's stopping you?

BTW at times Root, Bresnan, Swann, Pieterson, Trott, Cook have chipped in but don't let that spoil your exaggerated claim that just 3 have performed nonsense. Strictly speaking, remember that Broad was stuck on 199 test wickets for what 3 innings? Anderson appears since Trent Bridge to be a spent force, particularly at Durham. Bell consistently good, Swann has been consistently good as well.

Just defend your claims without the I've played this game at a high level so I know malarkey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.