The Cricket Thread

Old Nov 12th 2015, 9:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Nor Springboks winning 2015 RWC.

1 Ratings haven't been updated since 5th Nov and SA and England lost and Aus and Pak both won since then.

2 Almost a case of insufficient data - SA have played fewer tests than any of the top 8 in the rankings period.

3 It will happen eventually that someone will displace SA, it's just a question of when.
Your lack of knowledge of test cricket is showing again so let me enlighten you:

1. Unlike T20 and ODI rankings which are updated after every game, test cricket rankings are only updated at the end of a series. The current rankings refelect that Pak moved up to 2nd after beating the souties. Australia/NZ and SA/Ind rankings will only update when those series are concluded - and it will more than likely be Aus 2nd again

2. All teams compete in the same system. SA are top and have been for a few years. All 9 other teams have an equal opportunity to go top if they are good enough. Currently none are

3. Of course SA will not stay No.1 forever. Some other team will replace them at some point, just not at the moment as none are quite up to the challenge (remember the 4 year cycle before your usual mouthing off)

Hope this helps
Old Nov 13th 2015, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Your lack of knowledge of test cricket is showing again so let me enlighten you:

1. Unlike T20 and ODI rankings which are updated after every game, test cricket rankings are only updated at the end of a series. The current rankings refelect that Pak moved up to 2nd after beating the souties. Australia/NZ and SA/Ind rankings will only update when those series are concluded - and it will more than likely be Aus 2nd again

2. All teams compete in the same system. SA are top and have been for a few years. All 9 other teams have an equal opportunity to go top if they are good enough. Currently none are

3. Of course SA will not stay No.1 forever. Some other team will replace them at some point, just not at the moment as none are quite up to the challenge (remember the 4 year cycle before your usual mouthing off)

Hope this helps
1 Yes, the rankings are out of date and don't reflect what's happened in the last fortnight - I realise they aren't updated weekly like tennis rankings; was making the point that the gap is really narrowing.

2 Pakistan and Australia seem up for the challenge don't you think? - Pakistan 2-0 in last series and with Australia 1/320 on day 1 it's looking like a series whitewash against the Kiwis is distinctly possible.

3 SA still have 3 tests to play against India and then all this will kick in.

4 Why has SA played the least tests of the 1st 8?

Speaking of rankings, the stats say AB is the 'best' batsmen but I think most people would accept Warner is the 'best' currently with 3 consecutive centuries.

Last edited by OzTennis; Nov 13th 2015 at 7:40 am.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Warner scored the most runs by any batsman on the opening day of any test match since test matches started (2,000th test was played 4 years ago)!!!!!!
Old Nov 13th 2015, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Warner scored the most runs by any batsman on the opening day of any test match since test matches started (2,000th test was played 4 years ago)!!!!!!
Its a great effort but I can't take him seriously with a moustache. I know its Movember but he does have one all year round. Only Americans in their 50's and 60's and Indians sport a moustache these days.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 11:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

1 Yes, the rankings are out of date and don't reflect what's happened in the last fortnight - I realise they aren't updated weekly like tennis rankings; was making the point that the gap is really narrowing.

2 Pakistan and Australia seem up for the challenge don't you think? - Pakistan 2-0 in last series and with Australia 1/320 on day 1 it's looking like a series whitewash against the Kiwis is distinctly possible.

3 SA still have 3 tests to play against India and then all this will kick in.

4 Why has SA played the least tests of the 1st 8?

Speaking of rankings, the stats say AB is the 'best' batsmen but I think most people would accept Warner is the 'best' currently with 3 consecutive centuries.
1 The rankings are as up to date as they can be under the system that is used. The gap between 1st and 2nd has hardly narrowed

2 If I was an Aussie cricket fan, I'd be pissed off with what CA has lined up for this summer. I know NZ want to play at home over christmas so they tour in the spring, but the WI? They are terrible. To have them as the main opponents over the summer is a disgrace. Surely CA could have lined up a decent team like Pak or SL?

3 If SA lose the series against India they will still be No.1. I think we will draw. Our spinners showed that they can trouble India

4 Dunno, but they are certainly playing more test cricket now. 2 4-match series this summer and a shit load of tests in 2016-17. We have an awesome away record. It shows the quality of the team that they can be No.1 having played the least test cricket

If the rankings say AB is the best, then he's the best. When DW gets the No.1 slot, he'll be the best. All players are ranked using the same system. Simple
Old Nov 14th 2015, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

1 The rankings are as up to date as they can be under the system that is used. The gap between 1st and 2nd has hardly narrowed

2 If I was an Aussie cricket fan, I'd be pissed off with what CA has lined up for this summer. I know NZ want to play at home over christmas so they tour in the spring, but the WI? They are terrible. To have them as the main opponents over the summer is a disgrace. Surely CA could have lined up a decent team like Pak or SL?

3 If SA lose the series against India they will still be No.1. I think we will draw. Our spinners showed that they can trouble India

4 Dunno, but they are certainly playing more test cricket now. 2 4-match series this summer and a shit load of tests in 2016-17. We have an awesome away record. It shows the quality of the team that they can be No.1 having played the least test cricket

If the rankings say AB is the best, then he's the best. When DW gets the No.1 slot, he'll be the best. All players are ranked using the same system. Simple
I reduced my SCG membership to 1 ticket instead of the usual 4 for this season because the Windies are touring. No point paying full price for that.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 12:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
I reduced my SCG membership to 1 ticket instead of the usual 4 for this season because the Windies are touring. No point paying full price for that.
Indeed. WI are half the problem as they can't pick their decent players because they are unable to pay them enough

The Boxing Day and New Years tests are damp squibs now
Old Nov 14th 2015, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its a great effort but I can't take him seriously with a moustache. I know its Movember but he does have one all year round. Only Americans in their 50's and 60's and Indians sport a moustache these days.
And here's me thinking you didn't rate him because he doesn't bowl and therefore can't influence a match.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"The highest governing body of the game i.e. the International Cricket Council prepares a schedule for the test playing countries according to which all of them have to play at least two bilateral series (One at home and one away) against each other over a period of 10 years. That schedule is called Future Tour Program or FTP in short. Two is the minimum number. If the boards of the countries reach an agreement, they can play more than two bilateral series as well in 10 years, but, they need to play at least two." Australia obviously chooses to play >2 against England.

Once the 2 centuries and double century and whatever follows kicks in we'll see what the rankings say, as you say, until then AB is 1. Kane Williamson will move up the rankings as well.

How about some facts? Since 2010/11 SA have played:

Pakistan in UAE
India at home
Australia at home
Sri Lanka at home
NZ away
Australia away
NZ home
Pakistan home
India home
Australia home
Sri Lanka away
Zimbabwe away
Bangladesh away
now India which has just started.

That's 7 series at home, 5 away and one neutral and the aways included against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. The 3 series vs Australia has resulted in 3 test wins apiece. Australia had a recently cancelled tour to Bangladesh which would have presumably boosted our rating - SA got their weather affected 2 matches for 0-0.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And here's me thinking you didn't rate him because he doesn't bowl and therefore can't influence a match.
I'll rate him once he gets that score in England or the sub continent.

On Aussie, West Indian or South African pitches, no problem.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 3:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

"The highest governing body of the game i.e. the International Cricket Council prepares a schedule for the test playing countries according to which all of them have to play at least two bilateral series (One at home and one away) against each other over a period of 10 years. That schedule is called Future Tour Program or FTP in short. Two is the minimum number. If the boards of the countries reach an agreement, they can play more than two bilateral series as well in 10 years, but, they need to play at least two." Australia obviously chooses to play >2 against England.

Once the 2 centuries and double century and whatever follows kicks in we'll see what the rankings say, as you say, until then AB is 1. Kane Williamson will move up the rankings as well.

How about some facts? Since 2010/11 SA have played:

Pakistan in UAE
India at home
Australia at home
Sri Lanka at home
NZ away
Australia away
NZ home
Pakistan home
India home
Australia home
Sri Lanka away
Zimbabwe away
Bangladesh away
now India which has just started.

That's 7 series at home, 5 away and one neutral and the aways included against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. The 3 series vs Australia has resulted in 3 test wins apiece. Australia had a recently cancelled tour to Bangladesh which would have presumably boosted our rating - SA got their weather affected 2 matches for 0-0.
Someone's been a busy little cricinfo researcher
Old Nov 14th 2015, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Someone's been a busy little cricinfo researcher
Someone just wants to allay any misconceptions which might be held.

Over the same period we're on our 19th series and have played India 4 times, England 4 times, Sri Lanka twice, this is the 3rd vs NZ, Windies twice, Pakistan once and we haven't played Zimbabwe or Bangladesh at all. I'll leave it to anyone to join the dots when comparing the 2 records.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'll rate him once he gets that score in England or the sub continent.

On Aussie, West Indian or South African pitches, no problem.
David Warner's last Ashes in England 46.44 average which only 1 England batsman in the winning team exceeded was pathetic I agree.
I'm sure Warner will get by without your approval and the best of Warner is yet to come - a person and a sportsman re-invented. Are you one of the many from the previous Ashes series in England who said Warner will never make an opener? He excels in all 3 forms and in the field.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 1:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Someone just wants to allay any misconceptions which might be held.

Over the same period we're on our 19th series and have played India 4 times, England 4 times, Sri Lanka twice, this is the 3rd vs NZ, Windies twice, Pakistan once and we haven't played Zimbabwe or Bangladesh at all. I'll leave it to anyone to join the dots when comparing the 2 records.
You didn't go to Bangladesh because CA and your team were bid pussies. SA were there a few months ago and had absolutely no problems

SA No.1
Aus No.3

That's all you need to know
Old Nov 15th 2015, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

David Warner's last Ashes in England 46.44 average which only 1 England batsman in the winning team exceeded was pathetic I agree.
I'm sure Warner will get by without your approval and the best of Warner is yet to come - a person and a sportsman re-invented. Are you one of the many from the previous Ashes series in England who said Warner will never make an opener? He excels in all 3 forms and in the field.
Nope. Warner is the best opener Australia has. He is also one of the best openers in the world right now - if not the best.

But to be one of the greatest of all time he has some work to do.

PS I can see an OzTennis argument with himself coming along here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.