The Cricket Thread

Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I presume you mean Jos Buttler? You've been going on about Hazlewood (well Hazelwood as you call him) all series but I said before a ball was bowled that Starc would be the main threat. QED.
I do it to wind you up Tenis
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I do it to wind you up Tenis
Your call if you want to make yourself look like a semi-literate right wing buffoon in the cause of winding me and others up. It's water off a duck's back. (or you'd probably say a bird in the hand is water off a duck's back.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Your call if you want to make yourself look like a semi-literate right wing buffoon in the cause of winding me and others up. It's water off a duck's back. (or you'd probably say a bird in the hand is water off a duck's back.
I'm actually pretty central when it comes to it. If you don't want to think beyond mainstream that's fine with me.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Broad's 2 overs before lunch ...... it couldn't be any better .... virtually unplayable. ..... there's your difference.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:37 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
11 batsmen failed to score. Doesn't that suggest tinkering aint gonna matter.

You really should be giving your bowlers more credit here. Its a simple game, bowl well and let your bowlers take down the opposition batsmen.

Its the reason why Australia were number 1 in past history and recent history and its the reason why SA are number 1. For England to ever be No. 1 they need to learn to bowl in SA and Oz.
To be fair, I think I have seen Broad bowl much better than he did yesterday. His spell at the Gabba in the last Ashes series was outstanding in more foreign conditions for him. His spell at the Oval in 2013 was my favourite of his. He was simply unplayable.

Don't get me wrong, he bowled very well yesterday, but the batsmen were more the factor for the stats than the bowling. Whereas the other examples I gave were where no batsman could play him.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
To be fair, I think I have seen Broad bowl much better than he did yesterday. His spell at the Gabba in the last Ashes series was outstanding in more foreign conditions for him. His spell at the Oval in 2013 was my favourite of his. He was simply unplayable.

Don't get me wrong, he bowled very well yesterday, but the batsmen were more the factor for the stats than the bowling. Whereas the other examples I gave were where no batsman could play him.
Yeah. Had Michael Clarke put that wicket ball for 4 we might have seen 64.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Lord's clearly was a false dawn for the Aussies. I pointed it out at the end of the first Aussie innings how only two of their batsmen scored above their averages, which of course in the context of the match meant nothing, but in the context of Aus' batting ineptitude said plenty. Sure Rogers and Smith made mammoth scores, but you should remember they were both dropped by Eng when they were in single figures. Some would say, so what Eng should have taken their chances, but at the end of the day, even their best batsmen were giving us chances, we just weren't good enough to take them that day.

This Aus batting lineup has been leading up to this for years. There have been pinacles of failures of Aus in that time (47ao v SA), however off memory that was then followed up with a win in SA to draw the series. I'm a firm believer that you should make changes to a winning team if certain parts are not functioning. Aus have had big failings in their batting lineup throughout this time with the odd batsmen standing up and delivering.

I know this won't happen, but Warner needs to drop to 4 or below. When Aus need to set a first innings total he is rarely anywhere to be seen. Warner scores his big scores either once he knows his team have a first innings lead or when he knows his bowlers have got the opposition out cheaply. Too often he is the start of the slide and when you have a team full of players who are failing you need someone at the top who is willing to just wear off the shine of the new ball then go to work. I'd be keeping Rogers in there for as long as possible as he is the type of opener Aus needs right now. Smith has not shown anything to me that he deserves the recent best batsman mantle he has held. Clarke just needs to focus on his batting and nothing else. It is the middle order where I would make the changes. Get rid of Voges for someone younger who has future. I still think Aus should have stuck with Kawajha all those years ago, after all they stuck with Smith and that worked for them. M Marsh needs to be given more time as he can potentially be a massive cog for them in the future. I like what I have seen of Nevill.

The biggest thing they can do though is get another grafter at opener to replace Warner.
Good analysis. A few points:

Rogers has said he wants to retire so it is up to him; the selectors will keep him otherwise of course.

I personally don't agree about putting Warner lower down. He averages 46 and he's going well 2nd innings. Warner and Rogers usually put on a decent opening partnership so I wouldn't panic and change it. Now Lyth and Cook is another matter - no starts or maybe 1 over 50 in 7 innings?

I agree about Voges out and persist with Mitch Marsh; Nevill is a better glove man than Haddin and in time will be a handy batsman if they persist with him. Smith is having a temporary blip - only double ton in the series and a quick fire 58 for the team in the 2nd innings, but yes, more consistency needed in this series. He didn't get number 1 batsman in the rankings with coupons from Weeties packets, he's earned it over the last 2 years.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another "bowling wins matches" display. Firstly Starc hit his straps and took down England, something we could have done with the day before. Then Englands bowlers had a bit of trouble hitting the spot. Enter Ben Stokes. Bingo.

Rockin Rod Marsh eh? Drops a bowler for a batter who fails leaving Australia with 10 men. Limit England to 150 runs less than what they have and you are in a pretty good position. Whilst we have idiots like this at the helm Australia will never win an Ashes in England.

Last edited by Beoz; Aug 7th 2015 at 9:24 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ho ho ho. Warney lured into the batting debate and comes up with 1 replacement. Ho ho ho.

Shane Warne has picked two out-of-the-blue Aussies for the Ashes | News.com.au

Its a simple game. Bowlers need to bowl straight. Bowling straight takes wickets.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 10:41 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

That's it, an innings defeat to lose the Ashes.

Old Aug 8th 2015, 10:48 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Woo hoo!
Old Aug 8th 2015, 12:11 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

That's the last two Aussie captains we have forced to step down now.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
That's it, an innings defeat to lose the Ashes.

Champagne for brunch

Old Aug 8th 2015, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/73d5b8...rmat&sharp=10&

Shame this will not post in thread awesome photo.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Aug 8th 2015 at 12:39 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 1:42 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I did not expect this, seriously, I thought it would be closer. The lack of Aussies batting application against the moving ball was shocking.

If England (and Wales and Ireland and SA) can build on this it could be the start of a new era.

I love cricket, so many factors to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.