Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Mar 25th 2020, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Of the 200 odd New cases yesterday in nsw one was 7 years old, another was 7 months. Anyone still think kids can't contract it and transmit it?
Greta Thunberg is has been in isolation the past 10 days.

Tasmania is cutting short its school term and will switch to all on-line from next term. Kids of "essential workers" (a realistic definition, not ScoMo's definition last night) can still go to the building but will get an online lesson regardless.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
So it seems the head of the border force disagrees with your assessment that Australians had to be allowed to disembark regardless of whether they had been tested...he's just finished speaking and throwing NSW Health under the bus.

Contrasts the situation with a ship which docked in Melbourne around the same time, and Vic Health did not allow anyone to disembark until the results of testing were known.

Which comes back to original point and segues to the school situation...the health authorities...the experts...got it wrong.
Hold on a second

Just because a guy from Border Force just spoke to the media, you are assuming that Border Force are correct?

This is a total blame game. Border Force also blame the Dept of Agriculture. There was also travellers who says Border Force didn't even check passports. Ouch, that in itself lines Border Force in the cross hairs.

Massive screw up on all accounts by the sound of it.

Old Mar 25th 2020, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

Tasmania is cutting short its school term and will switch to all on-line from next term. Kids of "essential workers" (a realistic definition, not ScoMo's definition last night) can still go to the building but will get an online lesson regardless.
From Friday next week. 4 days before school holidays to give teachers time to prepare for online. Sensible. At this point they open again in term 2. I suspect most other states will do the same which would be wise.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Full lockdown, yes.

The pissing match between NSW Health and the Border Force is disgusting. Neither one took it seriously enough. Not when you are telling people to self-isolate when they get off the boat, but that they can still take public transport to/from two airports and take a long-haul flight to Perth first before that happens. What do NSW Health and the Border Force think "self-isolate" means? They have the same definition as all those bogans who were on Bondi.

It is just staggering to me that these ships weren't all called back into port a long time ago. Just think the resources it is now taking to manage this, not only the Ruby Princess, but the Vasco da Gama which is going to dock shortly in Perth and needs to have its passengers sorted.
I tend to agree on full lockdown - different people have different opinions on what self isolation and social distancing actually means so when you give people choices, they make their own decision.

Its not working.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

More cruise ship drama in WA - a new ship reporting dozens of passengers with respiratory symptoms requesting to dock in Fremantle. That's three now off Fremantle.

I cannot believe these ships are still being allowed to sail in Australian waters.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

30 new cases in Western Australia overnight, of which 8 are from the regions.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

WA Chief Medical Officer Roger Cook announces a sweeping expansion of testing criteria in the state, and denotes school boarding facilities as "high risk."
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

my missus has taken her long service leave from her preschool. Primarily to give her hours to other staff if they want to work, she's nice like that. Son has been laid off from Friday, daughter lucky enough to work from home, and me stuck in Newman but at least I'm earning.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
my missus has taken her long service leave from her preschool. Primarily to give her hours to other staff if they want to work, she's nice like that. Son has been laid off from Friday, daughter lucky enough to work from home, and me stuck in Newman but at least I'm earning.
At least the Pilbara is one of the two regions in WA yet to record a case.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

The Courier-Mail reports that Brisbane State High School was vandalised overnight after an infected parent sent their Year 8 child to school.

The first test was a false negative and while awaiting the results of the second test, the parent sent the child to school.

Beoz - I think I mentioned almost this exact scenario earlier (quote below verbatim from my post):

plenty of parents are blowing off all the precautions and are being "covidiots." Those parents will get sick and send their kids to school anyways because (1) they are in denial if they or their child shows symptoms (2) their kid is a ratbag and they can't cope with having him/her at home - so what if the kid spreads virus, they need and want a break from their kid during the day.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Courier-Mail reports that Brisbane State High School was vandalised overnight after an infected parent sent their Year 8 child to school.

The first test was a false negative and while awaiting the results of the second test, the parent sent the child to school.

Beoz - I think I mentioned almost this exact scenario earlier (quote below verbatim from my post):

plenty of parents are blowing off all the precautions and are being "covidiots." Those parents will get sick and send their kids to school anyways because (1) they are in denial if they or their child shows symptoms (2) their kid is a ratbag and they can't cope with having him/her at home - so what if the kid spreads virus, they need and want a break from their kid during the day.
those people need to get a grip of their kids, that's certainly no reason to put everyone else at risk. Anyone not taking this seriously now is a bloody selfish fool.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Let's be clear, this isn't a one man show making these calls just because you don't see the full cast paraded in front of the cameras.
I'm under no illusions as to how many people are involved, however, he's top of the chain and therefore the buck stops with him.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good. They can track and trace the movements and contacts because he was in school. Can't help the silly mother. Perhaps pop her in prison.

I went for a run at lunch around my the local park. I went past the basketball court and there were 8, 12 or 13 year olds having a game. Obviously the parents didn't quite grasp the concept of what it all means and been allowed to skip school through fear.

Let's say one of these kids was the kid you mention.

Should the kid test positive, the kid has infected his mates, probably a few elderly when they were hanging out at the shopping centre that morning too.

How do you track and trace that type of stuff?

We aren't in total lockdown. Keeping kids away from school while we aren't in total lockdown reduces the ability to track and trace.

If an outbreak ever did break out in a school, which no one has ever spoken about anywhere in the world, the ability to track, trace and isolate is there.

No total lockdown. No schools closed. Too dangerous.

Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Good news for me anyway. I've been seconded to the Health Department Emergency Operations as of tomorrow for at least 3 months. That will get me out of the hospital setting at least.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Good news for me anyway. I've been seconded to the Health Department Emergency Operations as of tomorrow for at least 3 months. That will get me out of the hospital setting at least.
Excellent news.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.