Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Mar 25th 2020, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz
Not sure how a physiotherapist can practice social distancing when working your quads.
Well, you have me there.

Meanwhile, from your list, in my state at least...
- Bus drivers, and train conductors, and AO's (public transit ticket police) have all been given "until further notice" new operating guidelines that minimise physical contact with passengers.
- For checkout attendants, Woolies has announced that it will be implementing new plastic barriers between attendant and customer
- Delivery drivers haven't required much in the way of physical interaction with package recipients for years now, unless a signature is required for some high-value delivery. Even that takes place on a portable terminal that can easily be wiped down.
- Hairdressers can remain open only if they limit customer contact to 30 minutes or less.

Most of those measures were implemented in consultation with a union, in accordance with an underlying EBA.

Why was it again that you thought that teachers--and their union--don't deserve the same consideration?

Last edited by abner; Mar 25th 2020 at 2:16 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
According to this article they only closed the border yesterday and anyone coming in after just have to self isolate for 14 days so apart from them being idiots, it's not illegal. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.n...ticle/12084628

If that's not correct, I apologise. I know a silver surfer who've gone off driving for the foreseeable future to avoid people, not the worst idea but they're a very sensible couple who won't take the piss when they come across people on their travels. I think they may be in a minority sadly. I'd kill my husband in those circumstances unless he got me first obviously.
Queensland border restrictions came into force at midnight (just over 2 hours ago). Here at work we have been sorting out plans, exemptions, etc and the police will be actively monitoring all crossing points.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:28 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Well, you have me there.

- Bus drivers, and train conductors, and AO's (public transit ticket police) have all been given "until further notice" new operating guidelines that minimise physical contact with passengers.
- For checkout attendants, Woolies has announced that it will be implementing new plastic barriers between attendant and customer
- Delivery drivers haven't required much in the way of physical interaction with package recipients for years now, unless a signature is required for some high-value delivery. Even that takes place on a portable terminal that can easily be wiped down.
- Hairdressers can remain open only if they limit customer contact to 30 minutes or less.

Most of those measures were implemented in consultation with a union, in accordance with an underlying EBA.

Why was it again that you thought that teachers--and their union--don't deserve the same consideration?
Brisbane buses have cordoned off their front seats (close to the driver) and have introduced a policy whereby passengers now enter through the rear (exit) door instead of at the front of the bus. The front door is now only for use by those in wheelchairs, disabled, elderly and can't manage the step etc - as the wheelchair ramp cannot be used with the rear door. Also bus, train, ferry and tram services in South East Queensland (excluding school bus services) will only accept pre-paid tickets to reduce cash handling.

https://translink.com.au/service-updates/274481
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
Not sure how a physiotherapist can practice social distancing when working your quads. I guess they can where a mask. So can a teacher. Everyone needs to play a part, including the teachers union.
I would not be able to wear a mask at work it would frighten the children immensely. They are too young to understand and are already stressed out and upset enough as it is.
I, like every other teacher and early childhood educator, still goes to work everyday and cuddles your child if they are hurt or sad because that's my job. I am trying to do my 'bit' as best as I can.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Well, you have me there.

I do have you there

"Minimise", "Woolies will be ...", "30 mins - it takes less than that to be infected" "how long can the virus live on a cardboard box". Not very effective is it.

Honestly, Until it's full lockdown you teachers are just one of many. Where a mask, do what you can to stay safe. Keep the kids out of the skate parks and shopping centres for the sake of everyone else.

Other than full lockdown, maintaining the ability to track and trace is the best weapon we currently have - can't do that from the skate park. 600 people are working tirelessly on track and trace in NSW. Give them a chance.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
I would not be able to wear a mask at work it would frighten the children immensely. They are too young to understand and are already stressed out and upset enough as it is.
I, like every other teacher and early childhood educator, still goes to work everyday and cuddles your child if they are hurt or sad because that's my job. I am trying to do my 'bit' as best as I can.
Try the mask. My 2 year old thinks they are very funny. They get used to it.

It doesn't help with the official messaging in NSW at least, kids can stay home if you want them to. What type of messaging does that send to the educators when half classes are turning up?

FWIW - the stats say child care aged children have not been recorded as major transmitters, are less likely to go to the skate park and get the virus (yet the old siblings running around the streets - what gives there ......grrrrrr), and in the extremely unlikely event there is an outbreak, it keeps it localised - much better than an infected mother and child running around Coles and so much easier to trace for the rest of society.

Thanks for playing the part. I am sending my 2 year old to day care in support. Other child is in home schooling as school shut. Just crazy these mixed rules.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 4:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Queensland border restrictions came into force at midnight (just over 2 hours ago). Here at work we have been sorting out plans, exemptions, etc and the police will be actively monitoring all crossing points.
I was lucky, I drove home at 1pm with no traffic. Well a couple of cars had been pulled in RBT style but I was waved through. However at 7am the queue was backed up to nearly Tweed. For some apparently it took over two hours to get to work from Kingscliff.

No idea if NSW are closing their borders any time soon but for the time being it was an easy journey for me.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia have announced schools will become pupil free.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 5:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia have announced schools will become pupil free.
Is that different to closed? Chinese whispers probably but I heard from a colleague that a critical care nurse at our main hospital says we're going to level four on Monday. Not sure if it means we bypass three completely or only land on three for a couple of days. We shall see, colleague can be a bit of a tin hat owner.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 6:19 am
Home and Happy

I was lucky, I drove home at 1pm with no traffic. Well a couple of cars had been pulled in RBT style but I was waved through. However at 7am the queue was backed up to nearly Tweed. For some apparently it took over two hours to get to work from Kingscliff.

No idea if NSW are closing their borders any time soon but for the time being it was an easy journey for me.
As of when I left work this morning......NSW were possibly considering closure but no decision. There are apparently exemptions that you can apply for if crossing regularly for work etc, but certainly as the Strate was waking up this morning the QPS presence at crossings and at a;l Queensland airports was being ramped up. Forms for all travellers to complete was one thing I heard was being introduced today.

https://www.qld.gov.au/border-pass

We are trialling working from home this week and next - three in a team and we are taking it in turns to try it out. Bearing in mind that at work we have four large screens, and usually have between 10 and 20 different apps and websites to actively monitor, its a bit of a challenge for all of us to be sat in front of our personal laptops, with one screen! However it seems to be possible, there may be fewer Ministerial reports produced, but the teleconferences, monitoring of live Fire incidents, and dissemination of Emergency Alerts should continue as normal. The majority of us would prefer to work from the Centre still, with every tool on hand, and in constant touch with all government liaison reps and Ministers, but its reassuring to know that if we do have to go home, we can keep working.
Just hope the weather holds, the last thing we need now is a cyclone to deal with as well!
Old Mar 26th 2020, 7:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Is that different to closed? Chinese whispers probably but I heard from a colleague that a critical care nurse at our main hospital says we're going to level four on Monday. Not sure if it means we bypass three completely or only land on three for a couple of days. We shall see, colleague can be a bit of a tin hat owner.
Our school is closing tomorrow
Old Mar 26th 2020, 7:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As of when I left work this morning......NSW were possibly considering closure but no decision. There are apparently exemptions that you can apply for if crossing regularly for work etc, but certainly as the Strate was waking up this morning the QPS presence at crossings and at a;l Queensland airports was being ramped up. Forms for all travellers to complete was one thing I heard was being introduced today.

https://www.qld.gov.au/border-pass
I was quite put out I wasn't pulled over. Do they not realise how much trouble I went to organising letters from my President for every QLD volunteer yesterday? Could have at least looked at mine!
Old Mar 26th 2020, 8:17 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

On a tentative positive note, I've been tracking the growth rate in cases recently, and I think I can see the impact of the ban on international arrivals working its way through to the numbers. Whereas in last week we were around the 1.24-1.25 growth multiplier region (doubling every 3 days), we are currently around 1.15 (doubling every 4.5 days) and falling. The data is noisy (obviously) and could be just a symptom of their testing mechanism. And if nothing else is done the community transmission would push the numbers back up ....

.... but it's positive news over where we would be by easter otherwise (12k vs 70k cases).

It's not percolated through to the news yet, probably on purpose to keep people scared, but it's there in the numbers.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 8:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
On a tentative positive note, I've been tracking the growth rate in cases recently, and I think I can see the impact of the ban on international arrivals working its way through to the numbers. Whereas in last week we were around the 1.24-1.25 growth multiplier region (doubling every 3 days), we are currently around 1.15 (doubling every 4.5 days) and falling. The data is noisy (obviously) and could be just a symptom of their testing mechanism. And if nothing else is done the community transmission would push the numbers back up ....

.... but it's positive news over where we would be by easter otherwise (12k vs 70k cases).

It's not percolated through to the news yet, probably on purpose to keep people scared, but it's there in the numbers.
Victoria is publishing a nice dashboard now. They also added cases by LGA today (page 3).

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...RjNGViOWYyOCJ9
Old Mar 26th 2020, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but only slightly. As we follow the schools (if they are closed so do we) we were told that we are remaining open next week for 'essential worker's' the same as the schools, but to what capacity that means I do not know as it has not yet been clarified as to what an essential worker is. We have been advised that it will definitely mean children of health care professionals and such, but may also include those who are the sole provider in their household (as in it is essential that they work). Although if only one parent working in a 2 parent family then they can be at home with children? I guess I will find out more tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.