Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Aug 12th 2020, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by BEVS
The changes to the alert levels are for 3 days at the moment. It is to allow for track, trace, test out in the community, as well as other investigations. It offers a breather . It is not the head in sand approach of course. It is a prompt measured wise approach to an expected set back.
Hello. A direct reply would be more courteous than supplying the link. news.com.au. should you really care. Its quite a factual summary. Nothing controversial in that article.

I do believe it is a head in sand approach. Where does New Zealand expect to go from here? NZ shut down the entire economy for 6 weeks to make sure it can go on living COVID free existence without touching the outside world.

Now it's invaded NZ again and NZ has made a rod for its own back, Auckland Stage 3 lock down for 4 cases? Really? Well I guess you have to after setting the precedent with such a dramatic lockdown for so few cases in wave 1.

Where does NZ go from here? You have to open up to the rest of the world sometime. This thing isn't going away. Maybe 2024?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 2:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

*sigh*

You have it whatever way you wish love. All I have done is to try and explain how it actually is which I do realise does not fit your MO and how you wish to portray NZ . I have my theories as to why you do this. It isn't pretty in this day and age. TBH I'm not really interested in posting further with someone who really just repeats a tedious inaccurate mantra. Of course BE is a series of open chat forums and if that is what floats your boat then that is fine. Carry on. I'm no longer interested as there is no conversation there. However I may continue to make posts re NZ for others to peruse at will.

My response was actually to SteveEnglish hence why his post was quoted.

For you , I give you the BE site rules. They are there for a reason. It also helps to quote excerpts properly and then link to the content so it can be read in its entirety to give context rather than mislead.
7. Copyrighted Material
You cannot legally post entire articles or news, or other copyrighted material in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article/material correctly it is still copyright infringement. Minor fair use excerpts of less than one paragraph or 4 sentences may be used if the content is publically available on the internet. All other forms of inserted content from press releases, newsletters, web pages, or any other copyrighted content placed into messages will be removed without exception. A link to the content is acceptable and appropriate.
Sort yourself out. It is all yours to own.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
*sigh*

You have it whatever way you wish love. All I have done is to try and explain how it actually is which I do realise does not fit your MO and how you wish to portray NZ . I have my theories as to why you do this. It isn't pretty in this day and age. TBH I'm not really interested in posting further with someone who really just repeats a tedious inaccurate mantra. Of course BE is a series of open chat forums and if that is what floats your boat then that is fine. Carry on. I'm no longer interested as there is no conversation there. However I may continue to make posts re NZ for others to peruse at will.

My response was actually to SteveEnglish hence why his post was quoted.

For you , I give you the BE site rules. They are there for a reason. It also helps to quote excerpts properly and then link to the content so it can be read in its entirety to give context rather than mislead.

Sort yourself out. It is all yours to own.
I am not trying to hide the source. It just makes easier reading without deep clicking. A simple copy and paste into Google will show all. It's a factual article outlining the details of lockdown.

Anyhow, we digress, I thought from day 1, NZ over cooked its response, you know that, we all have opinions. Even now, 3 days lockdown? What will that do? The incubation period can be weeks?

Further more NZ will be a great little experiment. It will be very interesting to see where this came from 100 days or so after declaring itself eliminated. Did it come in the post? It's rather odd.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 5:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
I am not trying to hide the source. It just makes easier reading without deep clicking. A simple copy and paste into Google will show all. It's a factual article outlining the details of lockdown.

Anyhow, we digress, I thought from day 1, NZ over cooked its response, you know that, we all have opinions. Even now, 3 days lockdown? What will that do? The incubation period can be weeks?

Further more NZ will be a great little experiment. It will be very interesting to see where this came from 100 days or so after declaring itself eliminated. Did it come in the post? It's rather odd.
ever heard the term 'when you're in a hole, stop digging?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
ever heard the term 'when you're in a hole, stop digging?
It's OK. I am not going to bother further directly or is that further bother directly. It isn't a conversation ; a discussion; a debate even ; or anything much really. I will however perhaps post further re NZ in the interests of context, fact and info. Anyone can take from that what they will.

I will end by writing this though - Someone still doesn't understand the epidemic/pandemic approach called 'elimination' or hasn't bothered to learn and understand . That is exactly how and why a world/country/nation will still be in a grip rather than adapt, educate, rethink, change & overcome . *sigh*

Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand has been a terrific example of with the wiliness to engage the population and take them along through explanation just what can be achieved. There's a valid reason PM Arden is popular with her voters, as well as being rather favoured internationally.
I suspect there was always the thought the virus would reappear. It has in a small quantity and the NZ government is on top of the lapse.
It will take as long as it takes. Do you prefer a Trump agenda in coping with the disease ? That being the slaughter of countless of tens of thousands and still inflict pain on a very flawed economy? Or NZ, that has put humanity above the pressure of certain right wing commentators and business advocates, with the probability like places like WA will gain longer term for the creation of safe environments which will surely be worth a lot over time.
Well done NZ. Victoria was very unlucky. WA used security guards at the time as well as I suspect did many states. Victoria paid the price. NSW tottering. Rest of Australia has really something to date be achieved to be applauding about.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's basic good manners to post the link to the article you're referring to. Most of us have absolutely no problem reading both posts and the links provided. I'm sorry you appear to.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 10:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Where does NZ go from here? You have to open up to the rest of the world sometime. This thing isn't going away. Maybe 2024?
I believe the same could be said of Australia........
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
New Zealand has been a terrific example of with the wiliness to engage the population and take them along through explanation just what can be achieved. There's a valid reason PM Arden is popular with her voters, as well as being rather favoured internationally.
I suspect there was always the thought the virus would reappear. It has in a small quantity and the NZ government is on top of the lapse.
It will take as long as it takes. Do you prefer a Trump agenda in coping with the disease ? That being the slaughter of countless of tens of thousands and still inflict pain on a very flawed economy? Or NZ, that has put humanity above the pressure of certain right wing commentators and business advocates, with the probability like places like WA will gain longer term for the creation of safe environments which will surely be worth a lot over time.
Well done NZ. Victoria was very unlucky. WA used security guards at the time as well as I suspect did many states. Victoria paid the price. NSW tottering. Rest of Australia has really something to date be achieved to be applauding about.
Um... err... All very good if you want to be one dimensional and treat COVID as the only concern here.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle...ectid=12355895

Ones quest of elimination might be noble, and now proven impossible, and what cost was that experiment to the people? The precedent has been set now. 3 days is possible but unlikely.

Last edited by Beoz; Aug 12th 2020 at 1:38 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's basic good manners to post the link to the article you're referring to. Most of us have absolutely no problem reading both posts and the links provided. I'm sorry you appear to.
Fine. I have no problem with it. Its just easier to read text that's in context.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I believe the same could be said of Australia........
Depends. Was it striving for elimination? No.

However there are some serious questions that need work. Victoria and NSW have the border thing sorted. They talk, they agree and they control over half the economy. That's good. That part will work. If the rest of the states won't participate, they will only hurt their own residents.

Australia needs a plan for participating with the rest of the world.

The UK seem to have a good plan going with the air bridges. They turn on or off the air bridge depending on how that country is going with the virus. They aren't expecting 0. Nor should they.

Keep the elderly protected and crack on.

Let's be honest here. Patience isn't going to cut it in 2021.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 4:56 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Anyone sick? Everyone well? Anyone stressed? Anyone care?!

Now that grass-roots AFL has been cancelled, the Auskick centre I help out at has pushed back the start of the season until the end of May at the earliest. My 8yo has had all his other extra-curricular activities cancelled for now too. He's taking it really well.

I've struck lucky financially. I was worried about the potential of being put into lock-down and having to buy extra shopping on Newstart allowance. I'm on a really tight budget as it is, but two PPI claims back home have come good. I've received £1000 so far, which I have transferred over here into $. Most welcome I still have two claims outstanding that I'm hoping won't get too delayed by coronavirus, and should be for much more.

Stay we'll y'all
So how are you doing now, Dad?
Old Aug 17th 2020, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Where does New Zealand expect to go from here? NZ shut down the entire economy for 6 weeks
The plan is to try and keep it out until a vaccine, which best estimates suggest is 12 months. Stamping it out early means being able to live normally, which we had been doing for more than 3 months to this point. Hopefully we will take care of this outbreak quickly and return to that state. As far as the economy is concerned, NZ has performed better than many other countries that had a less drastic lockdown, but have had to maintain it for much longer. And also with not many deaths. So far anyway. It's interesting you're concentrating on NZ lockdowns when Melbourne's is currently much harder??
Old Aug 17th 2020, 1:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by garethwm
The plan is to try and keep it out until a vaccine, which best estimates suggest is 12 months. Stamping it out early means being able to live normally, which we had been doing for more than 3 months to this point. Hopefully we will take care of this outbreak quickly and return to that state. As far as the economy is concerned, NZ has performed better than many other countries that had a less drastic lockdown, but have had to maintain it for much longer. And also with not many deaths. So far anyway. It's interesting you're concentrating on NZ lockdowns when Melbourne's is currently much harder??
He loves to see left leaning governments come a cropper, it lets him puff his chest out and feel adequate.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by garethwm
He loves to see left leaning governments come a cropper, it lets him puff his chest out and feel adequate. Make no mistake he's loving what's happening in Victoria too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.