Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz
I am surprised WA's hard line border controls are so easy to work around. A colleague of mine relocated from Brisbane to Perth in April and had to quarrentine in a serviced apartment for 2 weeks. He had a 2 year old, no friends or family in Perth, Coles online ordering was on the go slow, they ran out of nappies and had to get nappy creative. Seems like WA doesn't really have consistent rules.
except they're not being worked around, they're being adhered to. That's my point about dumb luck playing a big role in this. If my missus came over for a week she wouldn't be able to leave the apartment, but I would. That's why we decided that just because we can doesn't mean we should.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
except they're not being worked around, they're being adhered to. That's my point about dumb luck playing a big role in this. If my missus came over for a week she wouldn't be able to leave the apartment, but I would. That's why we decided that just because we can doesn't mean we should.
But that's not quarrentining. It does sound odd that quarrentining involves house guests. It certainly does not here for international arrivals.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

But that's not quarrentining. It does sound odd that quarrentining involves house guests. It certainly does not here for international arrivals.
I agree, and that's why I suggested we didn't do something I desperately wanted to. As I say the rules have gaping holes in them, and there aren't very many people that recognise that and do the right thing.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, and that's why I suggested we didn't do something I desperately wanted to. As I say the rules have gaping holes in them, and there aren't very many people that recognise that and do the right thing.
I see the WA premier wants to limit international arrivals to one plane every 3 days and they pay for their own lock in. He is circling the wagons.

I don't think any of this is perfect system yet - learning as we go. I am sure Victoria would redo this if they had their time over again. Same with NSW and Ruby.

However it is clear that strict is not always sensible, given that their are many facets to this - Corona health, bad health stress bought on by lockdown and strict rules, stress brought about by economic fallout. Its time to start opening up where we can and where the spot fires need to be contained, like Victoria, we do that swiftly and effectively, while the rest live and have free movement with processes in place for the good of non corona health.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

. . . and Melbourne returns to full-scale lockdown for the second time.

Speaking from the other side of WA's hard border, I am glad it is in place, and it has broad and widespread support here. Let's watch and learn what is successful elsewhere rather than playing with fire ourselves.

Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:02 am
Account Closed

I see the WA premier wants to limit international arrivals to one plane every 3 days and they pay for their own lock in. He is circling the wagons.

I don't think any of this is perfect system yet - learning as we go. I am sure Victoria would redo this if they had their time over again. Same with NSW and Ruby.

However it is clear that strict is not always sensible, given that their are many facets to this - Corona health, bad health stress bought on by lockdown and strict rules, stress brought about by economic fallout. Its time to start opening up where we can and where the spot fires need to be contained, like Victoria, we do that swiftly and effectively, while the rest live and have free movement with processes in place for the good of non corona health.
trouble is if the people cant be sensible, neither can the rules.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carcajou
. . . and Melbourne returns to full-scale lockdown for the second time.

Speaking from the other side of WA's hard border, I am glad it is in place, and it has broad and widespread support here. Let's watch and learn what is successful elsewhere rather than playing with fire ourselves.
How long before WA goes for independence?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

trouble is if the people cant be sensible, neither can the rules.
How long before WA goes for independence?
One of the lessons from this whole affair - should have been obvious, but to the powers that be, it wasn't - was that you can't trust people to do "voluntary this" and "suggested that." It has to be codified and enforced. Otherwise you get people thinking lockdown doesn't apply to them if they're just going to do a bit of a shop at the mall and grabbin a burger with friends, what are the odds they will actually catch the virus on their holiday to Italy or Bali, I'm just going to that same pub I always go to and it's just Johnny and the mates coming over so what's the big deal. Oh yeah and I'll go to a packed beach if I want to.

Well, WA went for independence in 1933, it won in a referendum 66-33% but the UK Parliament refused to act on it. I don't sense much support from it. Occasionally there is some delusional talk, as in Scotland, about "our resources" will make us like Qatar or Norway and we're being held back by having to fund the rest of the Commonwealth but that's crazy.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 8:21 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Its time to start opening up where we can and where the spot fires need to be contained, like Victoria, we do that swiftly and effectively, while the rest live and have free movement with processes in place for the good of non corona health.
It does seem that in the long term some rationalisation will be required. While countries must stop community transmission foremost the model Iceland is pioneering is probably the path towards normality until we have a vaccine.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Charismatic
It does seem that in the long term some rationalisation will be required. While countries must stop community transmission foremost the model Iceland is pioneering is probably the path towards normality until we have a vaccine.
Yep. We need to start planning for the international border opening. Obviously it won't be free reign but there are ways and means to make it happen, accepting we might see fires. Life must move on.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 10:59 am
Account Closed

One of the lessons from this whole affair - should have been obvious, but to the powers that be, it wasn't - was that you can't trust people to do "voluntary this" and "suggested that." It has to be codified and enforced. Otherwise you get people thinking lockdown doesn't apply to them if they're just going to do a bit of a shop at the mall and grabbin a burger with friends, what are the odds they will actually catch the virus on their holiday to Italy or Bali, I'm just going to that same pub I always go to and it's just Johnny and the mates coming over so what's the big deal. Oh yeah and I'll go to a packed beach if I want to.

Well, WA went for independence in 1933, it won in a referendum 66-33% but the UK Parliament refused to act on it. I don't sense much support from it. Occasionally there is some delusional talk, as in Scotland, about "our resources" will make us like Qatar or Norway and we're being held back by having to fund the rest of the Commonwealth but that's crazy.
im not sure if people are self obsessed , funking stupid or a fair chunk of both. The episode at Bournemouth left me shaking my head, the world could well do without those people, its a real shame this virus isn't selective.

oh and since my phone updated, my predictive text has lost its memory, I didn't mean funking obviously, what a can't
What people complaining about a nanny state fail to understand, is that there are people that need to be told to do the right thing. Aussie comic Jim Jeffreys put it best, take the do not drink warning off of bleach bottles and let nature take its course for a couple of years.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Jul 7th 2020 at 11:02 am.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 12:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

im not sure if people are self obsessed , funking stupid or a fair chunk of both. The episode at Bournemouth left me shaking my head, the world could well do without those people, its a real shame this virus isn't selective.

oh and since my phone updated, my predictive text has lost its memory, I didn't mean funking obviously, what a can't
What people complaining about a nanny state fail to understand, is that there are people that need to be told to do the right thing. Aussie comic Jim Jeffreys put it best, take the do not drink warning off of bleach bottles and let nature take its course for a couple of years.
I quite like funking. If we're not allowed to see the work ****ing, funking works. As long as some humans act like dickwads, we need lockdowns and if that means international borders etc stay closed so be it. As usual the dumb few **** it up for everyone. I certainly don't want Brits, Americans or Brazilians etc etc coming over in the foreseeable future. I can't hug the daughter through a phone screen but at least I can see her.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It sure is crazy. WA funds about 13% of the national economy with NSW, QLD and Vic all funding more. NSW funds about a third. Of course people will call on the per head of population. Well NT wins that one with the ACT snapping on the heels of WA for second spot. It's unlikely WA has the credentials to be a Norway or Qatar.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
. I certainly don't want Brits, Americans or Brazilians etc etc coming over in the foreseeable future..
What would be the problem if these people were COVID free or spent 2 weeks in quarrentine at their own expense?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What would be the problem if these people were COVID free or spent 2 weeks in quarrentine at their own expense?
I don't trust people to do the right thing and not lie and I don't trust the airport workers/taxi drivers/Quarantine hotel security staff etc who'll be coming in close contact with the passengers travellers on route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.