Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Jun 17th 2020, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by paulry
Looks like no international travel for Aussies until next year at the earliest:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...-a4471911.html
silver lining time again, no in laws πŸ˜ƒ. I don't know what constitutes a ban though, my boss flew back to Scotland for a funeral 2 weeks ago, quarantined when he got back.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Looks like no international travel for Aussies until next year at the earliest:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...-a4471911.html
Yep. It looks like Australia will wait for a vaccine or for the world be virus free. Can't see the rest of the world waiting for that.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 1:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
silver lining time again, no in laws πŸ˜ƒ. I don't know what constitutes a ban though, my boss flew back to Scotland for a funeral 2 weeks ago, quarantined when he got back.
I honestly don't understand anyone doing that. I totally get the need to share the pain/give comfort etc but to get in a tin can at the moment when you're not even getting to see the deceased at the end seems mad. Each to their own obviously but why put yourself through that? My best friend's MiL died two weeks ago, her BIl, one of the sons, is in Perth, they set up a live feed and he and his wife and son were as involved as the UK people. A fine goodbye to a wonderful lady and no one put their health at risk.

Two planes took off from Gold Coast airport today as I was driving home, the first planes I've seen in weeks.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I honestly don't understand anyone doing that. I totally get the need to share the pain/give comfort etc but to get in a tin can at the moment when you're not even getting to see the deceased at the end seems mad. Each to their own obviously but why put yourself through that?
Why judge? Even atheists mark the death of someone close to them in some form of commemoration.

And sometimes "Zoom" just doesn't suffice.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Why judge? Even atheists mark the death of someone close to them in some form of commemoration.

I wasn't aware I was judging. I was simply voicing my opinion. I believe that's allowed.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:49 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Also to provide support to those left behind.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I honestly don't understand anyone doing that. I totally get the need to share the pain/give comfort etc but to get in a tin can at the moment when you're not even getting to see the deceased at the end seems mad. Each to their own obviously but why put yourself through that? My best friend's MiL died two weeks ago, her BIl, one of the sons, is in Perth, they set up a live feed and he and his wife and son were as involved as the UK people. A fine goodbye to a wonderful lady and no one put their health at risk.

Two planes took off from Gold Coast airport today as I was driving home, the first planes I've seen in weeks.
I think it was basically because the rules said they could, i can understand the need to be there. I wouldn't put myself through the 2 week quarantine though, sounded hellish to be fair, shit food and strict limits on booze, may are well be at work 🀣
Old Jun 18th 2020, 11:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I suppose everyone reacts differently to the death of a close family member. For myself I have always thought it is far more important to spend the time with those living towards the end of their days. You do that for them, not yourself. They won't know you are there when they are dead. It is possible to have a memorial or remembrance anywhere. You just share the memories and mark a specific moment.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't aware I was judging. I was simply voicing my opinion. I believe that's allowed.
"I honestly don't understand anyone doing that" comes across as pretty judgmental to me..

Old Jun 19th 2020, 3:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

"I honestly don't understand anyone doing that" comes across as pretty judgmental to me..
No it simply means what it says. Don't try and read something that isn't there.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

No it simply means what it says. Don't try and read something that isn't there.
OK, if that's the only interpretation you meant from your turn of phrase.

But at least have the grace to admit that the phrase was open to wider interpretation, that appeared at least, rather more judgmental, particularly in context...? And in the same vein, have the good grace to resile from that...

Because frankly, what you said was otherwise quite offensive as a commentary on the actions of someone who was very likely in a state of grief, however little you might have understood those actions, or even if you might have chosen a different path, if faced with a similar family death of your own.

Last edited by abner; Jun 19th 2020 at 5:32 am.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

OK, if that's the only interpretation you meant from your turn of phrase.

But at least have the grace to admit that the phrase was open to wider interpretation, that appeared at least, rather more judgmental, particularly in context...? And in the same vein, have the good grace to resile from that...

Because frankly, what you said was otherwise quite offensive as a commentary on the actions of someone who was very likely in a state of grief, however little you might have understood them, or might have chosen to emulate his/her actions if faced with a similar family death of your own.
I honestly have no idea what you're reading or how you're reading my comments but please stop. Nothing I said was offensive, nothing was judgemental and no I don't feel it was open to interpretation. I said I don't understand, simply meaning I don't understand. Nothing complicated, no hidden meaning, nothing rude, nothing judgemental, nothing open to interpretation. If I thought they were stupid (which I don't) I would have said I thought they were stupid but I didn't. Please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't do, think or say, I will take such advice from my nearest and dearest, I won't from a complete stranger who's read half a dozen words on the internet.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I honestly have no idea what you're reading or how you're reading my comments but please stop. Nothing I said was offensive, nothing was judgemental and no I don't feel it was open to interpretation. I said I don't understand, simply meaning I don't understand. Nothing complicated, no hidden meaning, nothing rude, nothing judgemental, nothing open to interpretation. If I thought they were stupid (which I don't) I would have said I thought they were stupid but I didn't. Please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't do, think or say, I will take such advice from my nearest and dearest, I won't from a complete stranger who's read half a dozen words on the internet.
REALLY??? You hear of someone who went into quarantine, in the context of a family funeral, and feel free to describe them as "mad" to take that course, but don't see that as judgmental???

<snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 19th 2020 at 6:49 am. Reason: Site Rule 1, please don’t get personal. Everybody is entitled to a point of view, even if different from yours!
Old Jun 19th 2020, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

So indeed, let us emerge from <snip>.

Our family now faces a welcome new pending event, a wedding!!

Maybe?!

Previously announced, then semi-cancelled (due to Covid-19), then maybe on again. Now in October, rules permitting, or maybe February instead.

Apparently I have to give a speech, so any delay is good for all concerned.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So indeed, let us emerge from <snip>.

Our family now faces a welcome new pending event, a wedding!!

Maybe?!

Previously announced, then semi-cancelled (due to Covid-19), then maybe on again. Now in October, rules permitting, or maybe February instead.

Apparently I have to give a speech, so any delay is good for all concerned.
You may have a problem if this is overseas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.