Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Originally Posted by GarryP
Err, as you demonstrated above with your referenced article, its best done if its NOT outsourced.
Err no. The article says there have been some monumental cock ups when government agencies try IT implementation themselves. Then goes onto suggest it could be more beneficial ... go figure?

Originally Posted by GarryP
And if you need any further evidence of that, just look at the NPfIT, where £12bn was wasted trying to get outsourcers to do something that should have been done incrementally inhouse.
Its not even a matter of whether government agencies can do IT implementations in house, they just can't and nearly always need to pull in the experts at some point.

I'm not sure why even this topic is an issue. It can't be improved without outside expert help ..... if you want to call it the complete privatisation of Medicare ..... help yourself ...... there are plenty out there who voted on the back of that.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

If the counting has stopped, why is the percentage count on ABC still going up, albeit very slowly?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Err no. The article says there have been some monumental cock ups when government agencies try IT implementation themselves. Then goes onto suggest it could be more beneficial ... go figure?

Its not even a matter of whether government agencies can do IT implementations in house, they just can't and nearly always need to pull in the experts at some point.

I'm not sure why even this topic is an issue. It can't be improved without outside expert help ..... if you want to call it the complete privatisation of Medicare ..... help yourself ...... there are plenty out there who voted on the back of that.
Very different. An implementation is short term.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
If the counting has stopped, why is the percentage count on ABC still going up, albeit very slowly?
The AEC keeps updating. Currently the ALP leads the 2PP by about 0.5%.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Whichever bits need privatising. What a cop out.
Is that because it doesn't suit your agenda? Is that because you feel you either need to privatise all of it, or none of it, you can't do the bits that need doing? If my opinion differs does that upset you? Awesome I'm pleased.

The LNP's recent record of trying to privatise or deregulate is for the purpose of cutting costs. Not to improve the service. They chanted over and over how we were in a budget emergency, then donated $9 billion to the federal reserve and scrapped a source of income in the carbon tax. Their agenda wasn't to fix our economy or improve public services. It was to demolish everything the ALP built in the 6 years previous. Medicare was definitely in The Abbott governments sights. Joe Hockey preached about it enough and slammed his own electorate for a 'abusing' bulk billing. His claim was that visiting the doctor shouldn't be free. Ignoring the fact that we already pay a levy along with private health insurance (something that actually needs to be made public).

A scare campaign but a very worthy one in my opinion. If it was Bill Shortens belief that the LNP would privatise it, then maybe he done no worse than Abbott accusing Gillard of managing a slush fund or Turnbull and the Yute-gate.
At least you admit its was just a scare campaign. We are getting somewhere.

A real shame that some people like yourself have their priorities all wrong.
I agree ...... We should all be visiting the doctors just for kicks. ..... We should place as much burden on the economy as possible just because we can, and we feel its our lot on this earth to take as much as we can from the public purse.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Very different. An implementation is short term.
What is short term? I've worked in government IT projects that have gone on for several years.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Is that because it doesn't suit your agenda? Is that because you feel you either need to privatise all of it, or none of it, you can't do the bits that need doing? If my opinion differs does that upset you? Awesome I'm pleased.

At least you admit its was just a scare campaign. We are getting somewhere.

I agree ...... We should all be visiting the doctors just for kicks. ..... We should place as much burden on the economy as possible just because we can, and we feel its our lot on this earth to take as much as we can from the public purse.
Don't have an agenda mate, the LNP do though. I never said it was all or nothing but I believe they would use a phase out approach and without you realising it, all of it would be private.

Yes a scare campaign which I already said was the case. But so what? There are plenty of signs to suggest it was possible. It's not like they said SSM would lead to beastiality.

If people are actually abusing the system, that needs to be fixed. The fix isn't to privatise Medicare, surely you understand that?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

What is short term? I've worked in government IT projects that have gone on for several years.
I guess that's a good example of the private sector wanting to milk a lucrative government contract.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't have an agenda mate, the LNP do though. I never said it was all or nothing but I believe they would use a phase out approach and without you realising it, all of it would be private.

Yes a scare campaign which I already said was the case. But so what? There are plenty of signs to suggest it was possible. It's not like they said SSM would lead to beastiality.
Yeah I think you might be jumping the gun a little on a full blown privatisation. There is nothing, not a thing to suggest this was the ambition. Near impossible to privatise unless you remove public health all together.

Effectively you and BS are suggesting the LNP want a complete American system.

Did you notice how carefully BS refused to go that far? Had he had gone that far his scare campaign would have been truly written off.

That said the Mediscare campaign in its current form is obviously working if this is the way you feel.

I think you are finding it hard to piece together a full blown US style privatisation with outsourcing of pieces.

If people are actually abusing the system, that needs to be fixed. The fix isn't to privatise Medicare, surely you understand that?
Actually that would be one way to fix it, but at the end of the day Medicare isn't a privitisable operation as it makes no money - no one will buy it.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I guess that's a good example of the private sector wanting to milk a lucrative government contract.
Same things are done in private to private sector arrangements. The price of doing business. If you want the best you have to pay for the best. Anything else is just second best .......... do you want your governments to be providing you second best?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a Labor how to vote card...I think this was printed on every Labor how to vote card around the country.
Attached Thumbnails Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.-20160704_160950.jpg  
Old Jul 4th 2016, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Here's a Labor how to vote card...I think this was printed on every Labor how to vote card around the country.
Looks like Labor were putting another deception on the voting public with the NXT.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-22/xenophon-threatens-legal-action-on-penalty-rate-smear-campaign/7533268
Old Jul 4th 2016, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If you read the article it says he changed his stance after consulting with the community.... makes you wonder if that was before or after Labour pointed out that at one stage he was definitely pro cutting penalty rates.

Who's to say he won't change his mind again.

Just to put this in context, if Australia post were to come to me and my colleagues and offer us an immediate 25 pct pay rise if penalty rates were abolished.... I'm fairly sure the majority of people would vote against the rise. We would be worse off.... Plus over time that rise would be eroded on a pro rata basis v other industries and workers.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 4th 2016 at 7:28 am.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
If you read the article it says he changed his stance after consulting with the community.... makes you wonder if that was before or after Labour pointed out that at one stage he was definitely pro cutting penalty rates.

Who's to say he won't change his mind again.

Just to put this in context, if Australia post were to come to me and my colleagues and offer us an immediate 25 pct pay rise if penalty rates were abolished.... I'm fairly sure the majority of people would vote against the rise. We would be worse off.... Plus over time that rise would be eroded on a pro rata basis v other industries and workers.
You would be in line with what happens in the UK, US and NZ.

Having one of the highest minimum wages in the world, Australia won't be a special case for ever.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You would be in line with what happens in the UK, US and NZ.

Having one of the highest minimum wages in the world, Australia won't be a special case for ever.
I would have lost 200 dollars on last nights pay alone. There are enough people in my situation throughout Australia to hold off on this for years to come. I'm off to work again in 4.30 hours time.... now why should I not get paid more than people doing the same kind of work for day shift... It's not a choice but a necessity of the type of work we do at Post. Bed beckons... I have to have a nap before I go... which equates to a very disrupted home life for myself and my colleagues.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 4th 2016 at 8:13 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.