Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:51 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Yep, I agree.

Have worked with too many staff in the UK, who I cannot understand, let alone the poor patients!
Some years ago, we wanted to move to France but after looking into it, found that we would never get employed within our current professions unless we could speak (listen, write etc) fluently in French. We accepted that was necessary to work as a health care professional in another country, therefore despite taking evening classes etc to improve our ability, we gave up on that idea as we knew we would ever be up to that standard.

So I really fail to see what the problem is with requiring people to demonstrate they have a good working knowledge of the language if they wish to be employed in certain sectors.

Just a shame it is not applied equally.
True. And simply holding a passport from a country does not necessarily mean they speak the language. Refugees and spouses of visa applicants are not required to do an english test to become resident in most countries.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all
Default Re: British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

As above a passport doesn't mean you can speak the lingo there are people who live in their own little segregated communities, who don't mix and never need to ever utter a word of English! The local councils are even kind enough (at the tax payers expense) to translate government documents like how to claim benefit so that you can live in the UK and not even need to read English either! Australia has the right to expect a high level of language ability it ultimately aids working better together and helps build more integrated communities who wants to repeat the mistakes of the UK?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

personally i think it's barmy, but imagine if the english had to pass another driving test?
that would be far more ridiculous given the fact they drive on the same side and are far safer drivers
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all

I know plenty of UK Passport holders that can barely string a sentence together so on those grounds I can understand the test...but equally if you hold qualifications from the UK there is an assumption you can speak the language the course was presented in, so I see both sides of this argument (as my husband had to take the test to get here too). We didn't mind as you have to respect the rules in place by Australia its up to them on the standard of candidates they are after.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joannec2014
As above a passport doesn't mean you can speak the lingo there are people who live in their own little segregated communities, who don't mix and never need to ever utter a word of English! The local councils are even kind enough (at the tax payers expense) to translate government documents like how to claim benefit
...and you think it is different in Australia?

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...h_translating/

Last edited by Grayling; Mar 19th 2009 at 11:10 am.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:56 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

As above a passport doesn't mean you can speak the lingo there are people who live in their own little segregated communities, who don't mix and never need to ever utter a word of English!
Oh, you've met our BE friends on the France and Spain boards, then?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:54 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
personally i think it's barmy, but imagine if the english had to pass another driving test?
that would be far more ridiculous given the fact they drive on the same side and are far safer drivers
It used to be the case when I arrived. Luckily it changed that month and I only had to do the quiz.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

mollyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I can agree with some of the comments on here, however I was referring to English born nurses who are university trained and have probably completed many post reg uni modules Do you think that people in this category would actually fail the IELTS? because I don`t. This was the group that were previously exempt and still are in other states. Regardless of this, I would still do it if it was necessary, but I don`t agree with it I passed the IELTS for the extra points, but for some it`s just another burden to add on to what is already a very costly and stressful process.
I would like to know what their rational is on suddenly changing the rules.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

I hear you, but if this is where you want to be that's what you have to do! I know about the cost as we had to lodge two applications (through no fault of our own) and pay twice just to get to where we are, including filling out all the forms twice!!! All I can say is that it is worth it all once you get here Australia is beautiful and lives up to all its reputations hang on in there.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by IvanM
It used to be the case when I arrived. Luckily it changed that month and I only had to do the quiz.
i think they probably realised the test in uk is tougher and road fatality rate much lower
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
i think they probably realised the test in uk is tougher and road fatality rate much lower
What is the difference in rate?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Originally Posted by IvanM
What is the difference in rate?
Australia = ~1700 fatalities/ year.
UK (2007) = 2946 fatalities.

UK has 3x the population but just under 2x the fatality rate.

Edit: Deaths per 100,000 people: Aus 7.7, GB 5.4

References:

http://www.aph.gov.au/House/committe...port/chap2.pdf
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7635345.stm
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...nt_Comp_06.pdf

Last edited by theotherphil; Mar 23rd 2009 at 4:58 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theotherphil

References:

Blimey it really is a lot lower. Especially when you consider the amount of traffic coming in/ out of the UK from Europe!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:18 pm

Any Googlophiles know the rate per KM

Originally Posted by theotherphil

References:

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I know plenty of UK Passport holders that can barely string a sentence together so on those grounds I can understand the test...but equally if you hold qualifications from the UK there is an assumption you can speak the language the course was presented in, so I see both sides of this argument (as my husband had to take the test to get here too). We didn't mind as you have to respect the rules in place by Australia its up to them on the standard of candidates they are after.
I'm surprised by my own response to this, but if there is one profession where you need perfect English, its the Medical.

I'd say it's probably the only area where the test is 100 pct necessary.

We've had all sorts of problems in the past here, with medico's misunderstanding the locals.

There would have to be a quite a few UK passport holders that dont speak or understand English fluently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.