Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice
Default British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...Australia.html

A British migrant who wants to work as a nurse in Australia has been told she must take an English language test before her application will be considered.
'Are you joking?' Mrs Julie Dutton asked officials. 'I'm from England. I was educated there. I worked there. I speak fluent English.'

But politically correct officials in Sydney told her that unless she took the test, proving she understood and could speak English, she couldn't be considered for the job.
Mrs Dutton's revelations come the day after Australia announced it was cutting its foreign migrant intake by 14 per cent to help protect jobs for Australian workers.
But Mrs Dutton's problems arose before the migrant cuts were announced.
She and her Australian husband moved to Sydney from the UK last year, where she had been working as a nurse.
Three weeks ago, she applied to have her British nursing qualifications recognised in New South Wales - and she prepared herself for differences that might arise in the way things are done in her profession in the UK and in Australia.
What she did not expect was to be challenged on her understanding of the English language, she told Australia's ABC news network.
'I was told the application could not be processed because I had not taken the English language exam and now I have to wait until June before I can apply again and when I will be able to take the test to prove I can speak English.
'I didn't even know that you needed an English language test and I said: "Are you sure? I am from England, I was educated in the UK and I have worked in the UK. I speak fluent English."

'And they said: "There are no exemptions from this now as of the 1st of January."'

Mrs Dutton did not point out the obvious - that the fact she was even able to hold a conversation with officials in the English language was evidence she could speak it.
Last night, the Premier of New South Wales, Mr Nathan Rees, promised to look into her case - but he admitted that on the face of it, 'it sounds absurd'.
The State's conservative opposition told the ABC that it was a case of 'bureaucracy gone mad'.

Yesterday it was announced that Australia is set to protect The 14 per cent cut in immigration comes on a wave of concern that skilled foreign workers could stoke resentment by taking jobs at a time of rising unemployment.
One expert slammed the situation as 'madness' after mine workers in Queensland and Western Australia found that their positions were being filled by foreign workers.

Immigration Minister Chris Evans, who removed hairdressers and cooks from Australia's critical occupation shortage list at Christmas, said he was now also deleting foreign bricklayers, plumbers, carpenters and electricians from the list that guides skilled migration intake.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

Its political correctness gone mad!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

Not sure I believe it. I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks and not come across any similar tales yet. I wonder if she was just advised to get IELTS because she did not have enough points.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

The story's in the Daily Wail. It's not the most reliable source, so would question the accuracy of their reporting and take the story with a rather large pinch of salt.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:31 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see what the problem is......and given the majority of the Daily Mail readers commenting on the article seem to agree I am quite upset!! This is not a position I expect to find myself in!

There are plenty of UK based posters on here who have written about their problems in scoring the required standard in IELTS for whatever visa - simply being from England isn't enough!

I'd imagine communication skills are significantly important in a nurse's role, both written & spoken - why shouldn't they be assessed?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:34 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Its political correctness gone mad!
I had no probs and i dont exactly speak the queens best
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I don't see what the problem is......and given the majority of the Daily Mail readers commenting on the article seem to agree I am quite upset!! This is not a position I expect to find myself in!

There are plenty of UK based posters on here who have written about their problems in scoring the required standard in IELTS for whatever visa - simply being from England isn't enough!

I'd imagine communication skills are significantly important in a nurse's role, both written & spoken - why shouldn't they be assessed?
I don't have a problem with English skills being assessed. But I still don't believe the story. I have seen lots of nurses posting on here and none have been told they have to have an IELTS test to prove their language skills. The only reason I have seen UK passport holders taking the IELTS test is to make up points.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure with some nursing postiions/courses, aussies have to take a literacy test too. A very obviously aussie friend is doing a Cert III course ( in her words bum wiping course at least shes honest ) and a literacy test was required at interviews.

Daily Wail would moan about anything.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Daily Wail would moan about anything.
I'm not sure the Daily Wail is moaning though.....it's the kind of thing their readers lap up in a ......."oooh isn't the Aus immigration system great why can't we have one like that"....way. The comments are very much in favour.

The story does also appear in a lot of other places, including the ABC.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure the Daily Wail is moaning though.....it's the kind of thing their readers lap up in a ......."oooh isn't the Aus immigration system great why can't we have one like that"....way. The comments are very much in favour.
Ohhh right. I see,

it was a sun shines out of australias bum article.

I am waiting for a new series of life down under gloating how australia has avoided the recession and jobs for tradies and IT professionals are in abundance, with double pay, half price cost of living and year round sun of course
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

I don't see what the problem is. You want to work in Australia, you need to prove that your English is good enough. It really doesn't matter that you grew up and were educated in the UK, that says nothing nowadays as plenty of people leave school with below acceptable levels of the English language.

It is the Daily Wail, so all to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I assume if true, it is an attempt to ensure people aren't slipping through the net. Same should be done in the UK.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:31 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Was she a Scouser?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

mollyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I am a nurse currently in the process of registering with WANB and as I am

English trained. I do not need to sit IELTS. Only just got e-mail today from

them requesting 1 outstanding document and no mention of english test. So

unless it`s just NSW that have changed their rules as of 1st Jan.

I personally don`t agree that you should have to sit an English test if you

have trained in England and worked as a qualified nurse for however many

years! This is surely proof enough that you can speak and write competently!

I think there has been some kind of misunderstanding myself

I will take a look at NSW nursing board web site to check it out.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:44 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't appear to say born in England, which may be the issue.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I had no probs and i dont exactly speak the queens best
I'm sorry . . . I can't understand a word you're saying.

DO YOU SPEAKA DE EENGLISH?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.