Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

Originally Posted by Burbage
Technically, England doesn't exist.
Another for the episode of Mythbusters?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:35 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British nurse told to 'take English test' before she can work in Australia

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Another for the episode of Mythbusters?
Look it up. The best definition is in a Local Government Act I believe, which is hardly a constitutional charter.

It's a bit like the provinces of Ireland. Purely traditional.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:45 am
Account Closed

Look it up. The best definition is in a Local Government Act I believe, which is hardly a constitutional charter.

It's a bit like the provinces of Ireland. Purely traditional.
So England does exist afterall.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:11 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

So England does exist afterall.
Still working on that bit.

Seamus, have you got that uranium yet?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:14 am
Account Closed

Still working on that bit.

Seamus, have you got that uranium yet?

It's not only you that can be pedantic you know.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:17 am
ABCDiamond

It's now called the Australian Language Test, and everyone has to take it...

(not in a serious mood today)

Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's now called the Australian Language Test, and everyone has to take it...

(not in a serious mood today)
Do you get extra points for not using apostrophes in place names?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:23 am
Demi-God

It's not only you that can be pedantic you know.
Flippant, old chum, flippant.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Does he also drink earl grey tea and wear a smoking jacket
Ha ha

Sam
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:22 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough

For info Aussies also have to sit IELTS for NSW Nursing Registration if they don't exactly meet the other requirements.

I was born in Aus (but lived in the UK for a long time) and did my nursing training at an Aus University and had to do IELTS to get NSW registration because I didn't have a NSW Higher School Certificate (HSC).

If I want to work in the UK I'll have to prove my English language level with IELTS again.

There are always hoops to jump through wherever you go.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:40 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get extra points for not using apostrophes in place names?
no but you do get additional points are added for the number of rrr`s you can add to a word

parrrrrsta been a prime example
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

As frustrating as it seems, you can't make one rule for one profession and not for others and some people could argue that it shouldn't be required for theirs. I think they just have to make a rule and stick to it, no matter how annoying.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:54 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not?
Originally Posted by Lorrielou
As frustrating as it seems, you can't make one rule for one profession and not for others and some people could argue that it shouldn't be required for theirs. I think they just have to make a rule and stick to it, no matter how annoying.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Why not?
Because other people (in her position) ie GP's, anaethetists, dentists, midwives, pharmacists etc on the CSL would be a bit hacked off if they are required to do the IELTS test and this lady isn't. I'm not saying I agree with it actually, as many people I would say are proving they already have a good grasp of the English language by achieving the qualifications in their professions that are needed to apply in the first place. Having said that, I have been nursed by people in the past who in my opinion would perhaps fail an IELTS ie, I have had trouble understanding their writing or what they say. I'm just saying that love em, or hate em, rules is rules.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Why not?
cos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.