Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain faces summer of rage

Britain faces summer of rage

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Britain faces summer of rage

Anyone back in the "old country" going to take to the streets?

"Police are preparing for a 'summer of rage' as victims of the economic downturn take to the streets to demonstrate against financial institutions, the Guardian has learned.

Britain's most senior police officer with responsibility for public order raised the spectre of a return of the riots of the 1980s, with people who have lost their jobs, homes or savings becoming 'footsoldiers' in a wave of potentially violent mass protests."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/fe...rest-recession
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain faces summer of rage

Originally Posted by renth
Anyone back in the "old country" going to take to the streets?

"Police are preparing for a 'summer of rage' as victims of the economic downturn take to the streets to demonstrate against financial institutions, the Guardian has learned.

Britain's most senior police officer with responsibility for public order raised the spectre of a return of the riots of the 1980s, with people who have lost their jobs, homes or savings becoming 'footsoldiers' in a wave of potentially violent mass protests."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/fe...rest-recession
I was at the poll tax riots. That was a fun day out.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:54 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I was at the poll tax riots. That was a fun day out.
I reckon we're going to see the sequel this year.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:54 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Probably no-one was planning on causing any trouble whatsoever, until the police & media give people the idea...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:03 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Probably no-one was planning on causing any trouble whatsoever, until the police & media give people the idea...
Like all the people who have lost are about to lose their jobs, homes, savings whilst watching insolvent companies bailed out with taxpayer's money?

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be enraged by what Gordon Mugabe and ZanuLabour have done.

Or maybe you think the people "talked themselves into recession"?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:16 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Previous post was just saying that the idea of causing riots can be put there by the media & police. When people lose jobs (and I've lost quite a few) people don't always blame the establishment and want to go on a rampage. Usually their main concentration is on feeding their family and keeping a roof over their heads. (Poll tax riots were very different - they were a just cause!)

Recession was inevitable. The bubble was sure to burst.

But it's not Brown's fault. That's like the people who blame Rudd for recession in Australia. It's been coming for many years and it's international. Greed drove the bubble and when it burst recession is exacerbated by fear. "Talking yourself into a recession" is the fear factor which keeps peoples dosh firmly in pockets.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:27 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
But it's not Brown's fault.
He is personally responsible for making it far worse than it would otherwise have been.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:42 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

What about the rush to buy everything in sight following the wonderful stimulus vat reduction in dec ?
What a fricken joke that is 2.5 % less vat will turn the country around Im sure
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:45 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Was'nt planning to go back,but now mmmmmmm
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Like all the people who have lost are about to lose their jobs, homes, savings whilst watching insolvent companies bailed out with taxpayer's money?

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be enraged by what Gordon Mugabe and ZanuLabour have done.

Or maybe you think the people "talked themselves into recession"?

And don't forget that Brown is still going to give the bankers their huge bonuses, all at the tax payers expense...

S
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:45 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Do seriously see similarities between Britain and Zimbabwe or are you just being a tit?

The only place I've previously seen this terminology used is by swivel-eyed frothing nutjobs on the comments pages at the end of online Daily Mail articles. The message it sends to many people is "my opinions are not to be taken seriously".

Last edited by elfman; Feb 23rd 2009 at 1:52 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:51 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by elfman
Do seriously see similarities between Britain and Zimbabwe or are you just being a complete tit?
Does trying to solve the economic situation by printing money sound familiar to you? How about this:

Maybe it's you who is the tit after all.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:52 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course I am not condoning violence, but actual protesting ... well, I think it is a pretty good idea.. about time the worm turned and Joe Public stopped just taking everything the government decides to implement upon them sitting down!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:58 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon we're going to see the sequel this year.
I wonder if scaffolding poles will the be weapon of choice this time round?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:00 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I wonder if scaffolding poles will the be weapon of choice this time round?
Did you see Hutch chuck that one through the cop car last time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.