Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Britain faces summer of rage

Britain faces summer of rage

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:10 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain faces summer of rage

Originally Posted by renth
Did you see Hutch chuck that one through the cop car last time?
If you listen carefully to the news report you can hear him shouting "Sorry Officer Pig, I tripped!!" at the nice policemen just as they start giving him a good 'truncheoning'..
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:14 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone back in the "old country" going to take to the streets?

"Police are preparing for a 'summer of rage' as victims of the economic downturn take to the streets to demonstrate against financial institutions, the Guardian has learned.

Britain's most senior police officer with responsibility for public order raised the spectre of a return of the riots of the 1980s, with people who have lost their jobs, homes or savings becoming 'footsoldiers' in a wave of potentially violent mass protests."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/fe...rest-recession
Oh well at least The Old Bill will get triple overtime and be able to retire to Florida in their droves
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Does trying to solve the economic situation by printing money sound familiar to you? How about this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EQc_hLHXON...bie-gordon.jpg

Maybe it's you who is the tit after all.
It does cross my mind the whole printing money malarky -
The Weimar republic did it - I remember the pictures of blokes going shopping with a wheelbarrow of notes in history lessons
Serbia did it in the 90s - look what happened to them
And the most famous case of Zimbabwe

Can anybody think of a country where printing money has actually saved the day?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:05 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Can anybody think of a country where printing money has actually saved the day?
The republic of Disneyland. Those Disney Dollars have done well for 'em ...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:12 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elfman
Do seriously see similarities between Britain and Zimbabwe or are you just being a tit?

The only place I've previously seen this terminology used is by swivel-eyed frothing nutjobs on the comments pages at the end of online Daily Mail articles. The message it sends to many people is "my opinions are not to be taken seriously".
Maybe in a few years Gordon brown will be printing worthless 100 billion pound banknotes with his portrait on them like Robert Mugabe does.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Maybe in a few years Gordon brown will be printing worthless 100 billion pound banknotes with his portrait on them like Robert Mugabe does.
And people would be using them to wipe their arses on as the note would be worth less than a square of toilet paper

"A roll of toilet paper costs about $1.50 U.S. dollars and has about 352 sheets per roll. That means each sheet is worth about US $.004, or 3,600 Zimbabwe dollars, according to OANDA.com.

So according to these calculations, using a ZWD 1,000 note in place of a piece of toilet paper is a wise financial decision. "

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...wn-the-toilet/
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:16 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
I wonder how many people will be wiping their arses on Gordon Brown's face if this happens?

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Feb 23rd 2009 at 4:17 am. Reason: Renth beat me to it....daggnabbit
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:10 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should have a revolution like the French did and execute all rich bankers in the streets.

I'm happy to wheelie on down there on my scooter and keep a record. Names, addresses, bank account details etc
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

And people would be using them to wipe their arses on as the note would be worth less than a square of toilet paper

"A roll of toilet paper costs about $1.50 U.S. dollars and has about 352 sheets per roll. That means each sheet is worth about US $.004, or 3,600 Zimbabwe dollars, according to OANDA.com.

So according to these calculations, using a ZWD 1,000 note in place of a piece of toilet paper is a wise financial decision. "

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...wn-the-toilet/
Talking of toilet paper - Back in the late 90s I heard how the worthless Russian bank notes were being used as toilet paper. It was confusing then as there were two currencies - old bank notes which were worth next to nothing, and new bank notes which were worth 1000 of the old ones, and still not really worth that much. Got bloody confusing when they gave you change as both sets could be used.

Still, I was wondering what it would feel like wiping my arse with a portrait of Stalin
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:22 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

What I find disgusting (in the US) is that Americans seem to have given the bankers and the traders a pass, and are instead focussing their wrath on a more readily accessible target - those who have defaulted on their mortgages. They seem to forget that we had people going into foreclosure before the wretched sub-prime mortgages even existed - usually due to job loss or huge medical expenses.

With the average price of a home at about $200,000, these Americans are being singled out for "losing" a sum that is far less than a month's or even a week's pay for the executives who decided that sub-prime mortgages and default swaps were a good thing. And they are paying a heavy price; their personal financial history is ruined, and they have no home.

Yet nothing happens to those who wilfully and recklessly gambled away trillions of dollars on these schemes. They have huge homes in gated and guarded neighbourhoods, and except in the case of fraud, will face no charges or hardship.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I wonder how many people will be wiping their arses on Gordon Brown's face if this happens?
I don't want Gordon Brown anywhere near my arse I'd happily flush him down the loo though.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

You mean a newspaper other than The Daily Mail is saying something negative about the UK. What on earth will the DM knockers say now then?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:59 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I don't want Gordon Brown anywhere near my arse I'd happily flush him down the loo though.

Em x
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Of course I am not condoning violence, but actual protesting ... well, I think it is a pretty good idea.. about time the worm turned and Joe Public stopped just taking everything the government decides to implement upon them sitting down!
I agree. We are very much an 'oh well' country and it doesn't seem to have done us any favours. It's a shame that anger gets vented on the police though. I would vote for forming an orderly queue to kick the poo out of the pillocks who got us into this mess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.