Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

boycot "the daily mail"

boycot "the daily mail"

Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: boycot "the daily mail"

Originally Posted by pingpong
Apparently the headline on The Mail on Sunday was 'Err, Bruce...the fire's the other way'
I cant believe some tosser Mail journo thought this was an amusing headline to print while people are being made homeless and dying.

There was also an aussie article where some aussie yob asked the media on arrival at scene of many deaths if they liked BBQ deer

Its seems an appaling subject to make jokes about.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
There was also an aussie article where some aussie yob asked the media on arrival at scene of many deaths if they liked BBQ deer

Its seems an appaling subject to make jokes about.
At least it was not the media!

It's possible that it was made by someone on scene using the black humour of someone who has been through trauma - might have been a bit of a warning across the bows to the media not to leech..
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

It's possible that it was made by someone on scene using the black humour of someone who has been through trauma - might have been a bit of a warning across the bows to the media not to leech..

Yeah but the media were saying what a hero, good bloke, great laugh this guy was He just struck me as a dickhead.

Each to their own I guess.

How did you go, did you go out with the CFA, I think you had fire near your village, not too close I hope.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sounds like 'fire brigade' humour to me. Shouldn't have been put out for public consumption though.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Dailygrind is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello did you get any response at all by email/any apology in the paper?

Originally Posted by OzSheila
My OH has just rung the editor and asked if they will be printing an apology.

The Editors office were unaware of the offending caption and they will be responding by email tomorrow.

He also rang the British High Commission in Canberra this morning and registered his complaint.

I shall update once/if an email is received.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dailygrind
Still waiting......
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dailygrind
Ooh look what's just turned up in the Inbox:

Dear Mr XXXX,

Thank you very much for your phone call to the Editor's office.

Whilst it is the case that news of most of the damage caused by the
Australian fires only reached Britain after we went to press on Saturday
evening, it was nevertheless an unfortunate choice of headline.

I am very grateful to you for pointing this out and will speak to the
sub-editors concerned to make sure this does not happen aain.

In the meantime I hope you will accept our sincere apologies for the
offence we have clearly caused you.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Wright
Editor
The Mail on Sunday

t. +44 (0) 20 7938 6118 f. +44 (0) 20 7937 6721
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Still not satisfactory given that by the time they went to press 14 deaths had been confirmed! No joking matter!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get a voucher to get a free copy tomorrow Let's face it, no apology would be enough, morons.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Dailygrind is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for trying.

Under the offensive caption the last paragraph says 'so far at least 25 people have died in the fires, all in rural towns north of Melbourne', so I dont think this is an appropriate apology.

I did look at Press complaints site but couldnt find a category. Discrimination only applies to an individual.

Dear Mr XXXX,

offence we have clearly caused you.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Wright
Editor
The Mail on Sunday

Still not satisfactory given that by the time they went to press 14 deaths had been confirmed! No joking matter!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

johnokiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Mr XXXX,

offence we have clearly caused you. (oh, and not forgetting the rest of Australia!)

Yours sincerely,

Peter Wright
Editor
The Mail on Sunday

Not even having to print a public apology in their pathetic paper would suffice, but it would be a start!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnokiwi
Not even having to print a public apology in their pathetic paper would suffice, but it would be a start!
The only journalism worse is the cringeworthy women's weekly rags full of 'things my 3 year old said' and full of 'lovely' romantic mini-stories and 'you'd never believe what the inbred pleb we've discovered now has just done!'

See them in waiting rooms. That's how I know the type.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:24 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

My OH ... rang the British High Commission in Canberra this morning and registered his complaint.
Why on earth did he do that? The British government doesn't own, manage or censor the papers (well...not explicitly, and not on a daily basis, anyway).
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:29 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

The only journalism worse is the cringeworthy women's weekly rags full of 'things my 3 year old said' and full of 'lovely' romantic mini-stories and 'you'd never believe what the inbred pleb we've discovered now has just done!'

See them in waiting rooms. That's how I know the type.
My OH used to call them the cancer mags... they were far too depressing to read... far too upsetting as they always had a v sad story about someone who died of a horrendous cancer.. I spent my time crying when I read them (plus kids were little and I was hormonal)... OH told me to throw out the mags.. not to buy them...

Em x
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Why on earth did he do that?
Because they have a Press Office and they should be made aware of the disapproval of what is being said back home about the country in which they are guests!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:53 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Because they have a Press Office and they should be made aware of the disapproval of what is being said back home about the country in which they are guests!
The Press Office exists for public diplomacy i.e. pumping the UK government's line to Australian decisionmakers and others through the media. What exactly were they supposed to do with that complaint when they have no responsibility for what was said, and no authority to correct/sanction it?