British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   boycot "the daily mail" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/boycot-daily-mail-590233/)

pingpong Feb 9th 2009 7:37 am

boycot "the daily mail"

Apparently the headline on The Mail on Sunday was 'Err, Bruce...the fire's the other way'
I cant believe some tosser Mail journo thought this was an amusing headline to print while people are being made homeless and dying.

hereshoping Feb 9th 2009 7:42 am

Re: boycot "the daily mail"

Originally Posted by pingpong (Post 7265558)
Apparently the headline on The Mail on Sunday was 'Err, Bruce...the fire's the other way'
I cant believe some tosser Mail journo thought this was an amusing headline to print while people are being made homeless and dying.

I've been boycotting it for years, bunch of bigots - just one more reason to do so now

jmh Feb 9th 2009 7:54 am

I'm too embarrassed to be seen buying it anyway.

lapin_windstar Feb 9th 2009 8:13 am

Yes, but did the subeditor manage to illustrate how Australian bushfires will lead to more swan-eating gypsy lesbian EU immigrants and the decline of house prices??? That's what's usually important to the Daily Mail...

It's a horrid rag read by two categories of people: Mrs Bouquet types, and people on holiday who can't find anything else in English to read.

itigo Feb 9th 2009 10:00 am

Disgusting. Think they should print a full apology. The situation is so so sad.

cookiestar Feb 9th 2009 10:09 am

As a matter of principle I boycott the Daily Mail because of their objectionable right-wing reactionist editorial policy.

Yes, but did the subeditor manage to illustrate how Australian bushfires will lead to more swan-eating gypsy lesbian EU immigrants and the decline of house prices??? That's what's usually important to the Daily Mail...
This would be very funny if it wasn't so close to the truth :p

Campergirl Feb 9th 2009 10:31 am

I have said paper in front of me (being a Daily Mail reader and all):lol:

It's true. Half page picture with a tiny quote box (so I can quote the whole story):

"Er, Bruce ... the fire's the other way!

A fire engine races along a dirt track in southern Australia yesterday - desperately fleeitng a vast advancing wall of smoke and flames.

This is just one of the bush fires raging across 50 miles of Victoria and New South Wales, sparked by record temperatures of 117F (47C). So far at least 25 people have died in the fires, all in rural towns north of Melbourne."

The media over here have only just this morning started reporting about how desperately tragic the events are.

cookiestar Feb 9th 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Campergirl (Post 7266103)
The media over here have only just this morning started reporting about how desperately tragic the events are.

It's been fairly widely reported on in the Scottish written press over Saturday and Sunday too.

Campergirl Feb 9th 2009 10:40 am

Originally Posted by cookiestar (Post 7266111)
It's been fairly widely reported on in the Scottish written press over Saturday and Sunday too.

Sorry, I was referring to the TV news.

lapin_windstar Feb 9th 2009 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Campergirl (Post 7266103)
I have said paper in front of me (being a Daily Mail reader and all):lol:

The stocks! The stocks! ;) :rofl:

SNH Feb 9th 2009 10:55 am

Unfortunately I am not at all surprised.

Imagine how angry they would be if something like that happened in Britain and the Australian press turned it into a joke.

The media is one thing I do not miss about Britain.:frown::frown::frown::frown:

PoppetUK Feb 9th 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by SNH (Post 7266160)
Unfortunately I am not at all surprised.

Imagine how angry they would be if something like that happened in Britain and the Australian press turned it into a joke.

Ditto. How bloody stupid can they be!!!

cookiestar Feb 9th 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by SNH (Post 7266160)

I don't think it's a problem limited to the UK media. Ok, so the UK media is strongly politically aligned and puts across a particular political agenda (which is all right and well if you're aware of this when reading it and take what you're reading with a pinch of salt), but I think this is the case in most media. A truly independent newspaper is rare. I'm not up on the Oz media, but I'm sure it's the case there too.

Campergirl Feb 9th 2009 11:17 am

I have been onto the Daily Mail website this morning and there are a large number of readers registering their disgust at the report from the Mail on Sunday. With a bit of luck (which I very much doubt we'll have) they will apologise for the flippant report.

moneypenny20 Feb 9th 2009 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Campergirl (Post 7266221)
I have been onto the Daily Mail website this morning and there are a large number of readers registering their disgust at the report from the Mail on Sunday. With a bit of luck (which I very much doubt we'll have) they will apologise for the flippant report.

A one inch by half inch 'apology' at the bottom of page 25 no doubt :mad: