Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Actually, what is wrong with him saying that GST should be charged on ALL imported goods, and not just those that go via the Australian shops ?

All other countries do it, why should Australia be different ?
Because I pay enough f**king tax as it is!

Please let me get a little break out of the system.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:27 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Originally Posted by Seneca21
What other countries do it and what level of tax are we talking about? Australia already does it for goods of $1000 and this is a fair tax, I would argue. Lowering it to cover things like books is draconian.
UK for one. But at 17.5% or is it now 20% ?

Here, it is just the normal 10% GST.

The reason that having the same tax for everyone seems fair, is because it is the same tax for everyone.

Currently in Australia:
Product cost under $1,000
  • You buy in Australia and pay 10% GST
  • You buy from overseas and pay no GST

Product costs over $1,000
  • You buy from overseas and pay 10% GST

Mr Harvey said Australians should be charged a goods and services tax on products bought from overseas online retailers.

Local retailers were at an unfair disadvantage competing against goods bought from overseas. (With NO GST)

He estimated the government could lose up to $1 billion in GST revenue every year because of the Australian dollar's current value against the US greenback.
From a logical point of view, non of us should be exempt from paying the GST.

From a personal point of view, as I buy from overseas, I am quite happy to have my overseas purchases subsidised by the Australian taxpayer

Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

UK for one. But at 17.5% or is it now 20% ?

Here, it is just the normal 10% GST.

The reason that having the same tax for everyone seems fair, is because it is the same tax for everyone.

Currently in Australia:
Product cost under $1,000
  • You buy from overseas and pay no GST

Product costs over $1,000
  • You buy from overseas and pay 10% GST

From a logical point of view, non of us should be exempt from paying the GST.

From a personal point of view, as I buy from overseas, I am quite happy to have my overseas purchases subsidised by the Australian taxpayer
So there is no threshold in terms of UK VAT on imports? This would not surprise me by the way. In the least. The problem we have here is that Australian stuff is generally quite expensive, so buying books from overseas allows one to read without being fleeced. If they slap this on books then I will simply have my books sent to me by family as gifts. They should be encouraging reading not stopping people from doing so.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Seneca21
So there is no threshold in terms of UK VAT on imports? This would not surprise me by the way. In the least. The problem we have here is that Australian stuff is generally quite expensive, so buying books from overseas allows one to read without being fleeced. If they slap this on books then I will simply have my books sent to me by family as gifts. They should be encouraging reading not stopping people from doing so.
Do not bank on all gifts coming through with no tax.
Before this $1,000 threshold was brought in, I received gifts from family, but had to pay tax before they delivered the parcels.
The original threshold was only $250, but this changed to $1,000 in 2005. We have therefore only had 5 years of this higher limit.

Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Incidently Preston in Melbourne postcode 3072 will have Two Aldis in the one suburb soon. They are building one at the Junction of Plenty Rd and High St. Thats surprised the hell out of me. There are 5 now within 5 km's of each other... Heidelberg, Northcote, Two in Preston and Brunswick. Anywhere else got Two Aldis in the one Postcode ? Probably be one in Coburg soon, so that will be 6 within 5k's of Preston. Another 10 years of expansion like this and they really will be giving the big two grief.
2 in Epping, 1 in Mill Park
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, Ha!

Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Now $3.01 a share, and they were only 41c in 2008 !!

Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

German heritage in Australia, as a nation, actually made up 4.1% in 2006, so Adelaide is actually quite low in comparison.

Brisbane quotes 4.3% German heritage.... Brisbane Public Transport ??

I just love seeing how far statistics takes us
Come on then.. let's have the Gong stats. I can ask the guys here what they think of them.

Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Things are going from bad to wurst.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:38 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Things are going from bad to wurst.
I have admit that I've never been in the German Club in the Gong... never had the lederhose for it.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I have admit that I've never been in the German Club in the Gong... never had the lederhose for it.
I've been nein times and it got better each visit.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, also with a comparatively high minimum wage.
And a circular relationship between the two, although the less said the better because it's a highly contentious issue and high land prices and rents are unquestionably good for the economy.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I never have - and now I never will. Ever.

He makes me laugh when he says that internet sales have little affect on his sales - small electronics, phones, laptops, cameras make up a lot of HN's retail space - the very stuff that people are buying on the internet. So he is talking out of his arse.

I know Australian retail is pretty backward but I am really surprised that a major Aussie retailer like Woolworths, Westfarmers etc have not started an Amazon/Tesco/Walmart type internet site - I reckon they would make a killing.
Harvey Norman did actually start up a proper Internet selling site back in 2000. But it didn't out very well, so they canned it.

They then set up the current one which trebled sales, so they stuck with what worked.

A 2002 ABS report here: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/...es/s466912.htm

Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Anywhere else got Two Aldis in the one Postcode ?
We have quite a few ALDIs in our area but I'm not sure the postcodes. There's one in Ashgrove which is five minutes drive and there is another one opening up about 15 minutes walk away in Kelvin Grove.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Brisbane quotes 4.3% German heritage.... Brisbane Public Transport ??
German club near the Gabba is good for a beer and a few wurst allegedly. Haven't tried it myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.