Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Gerry Harvey of Harvey Horman is whining because his $1.4 billion fortune is being adversely affected by Australians who go online to find a better deal. People go online because much of the stuff in Australia is quite expensive, especially books which are totally unaffordable. The reason for this is the massive house price inflation.

Currently you can buy up to $1000 worth of goods without paying import duty, but if a tax were to be introduced that raised the price of online goods to those of the local market how would it affect you? Should this guy shut up or is he justified?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225959734340
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:18 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Gerry Harvey of Harvey Horman is whining because his $1.4 billion fortune is being adversely affected by Australians who go online to find a better deal. People go online because much of the stuff in Australia is quite expensive, especially books which are totally unaffordable. The reason for this is the massive house price inflation.

Currently you can buy up to $1000 worth of goods without paying import duty, but if a tax were to be introduced that raised the price of online goods to those of the local market how would it affect you? Should this guy shut up or is he justified?

He should " SHUT UP "...or start charging realistic prices..
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

The guy should learn to compete.

Presumable he can get in stuff from overseas cheaper (wholesale) than an individual.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
He should " SHUT UP "...or start charging realistic prices..
I saw on Gruen some guy who has started under-cutting Harvey by selling cheap TVs and Gerry Harvey kicked up all kinds of fuss about it. The bottom line with people like Harvey is that they have had no competition in Australia and have charged whatever the hell they pleased, and now they have competition and they don't like it.

Before houses were severely unaffordable people had more disposable income and could pay these prices, now for a lot of new homeowners - who are exactly the kind of people who need the stuff Harvey sells - there is nothing left every month and yet they are still expected to pay these high prices. This in conjunction with lower online prices = an unhappy billionaire, I guess.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Even if they did add duty and GST I am sure it would still be cheaper to buy overseas and pay the shipping rather than buy from Gerry Harvey.

He should shut the **** up.

Having read the article I will never buy anything from Harvey Norman again.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The guy should learn to compete.

Presumable he can get in stuff from overseas cheaper (wholesale) than an individual.
There is nowhere near enough competition in Australian business - at least at the top end. Look at the supermarkets. Coles and WW with almost identical ranges and prices - they're practically one entity as far as the customer is concerned.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Even if they did add duty and GST I am sure it would still be cheaper to buy overseas and pay the shipping rather than buy from Gerry Harvey.

He should shut the **** up.

Having read the article I will never buy anything from Harvey Norman again.
I read it and to me it just looked like he was trying to stifle competition, when we need more not less competition. I have never bought anything from him because the prices are too high.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

There is nowhere near enough competition in Australian business - at least at the top end. Look at the supermarkets. Coles and WW with almost identical ranges and prices - they're practically one entity as far as the customer is concerned.
Not debating your sentiment but I'm not sure your example works. Apparently there is competition in the UK supermarket sector and yet the prices and ranges of the big players are almost identical. When I was a customer there, there was little to differentiate them apart from distance from house.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Not debating your sentiment but I'm not sure your example works. Apparently there is competition in the UK supermarket sector and yet the prices and ranges of the big players are almost identical. When I was a customer there, there was little to differentiate them apart from distance from house.
THey have five major supermarkets in the UK and I would argue there is a big difference between the top end Sainsbury's and the bottom end Asda. At least a much bigger difference than there is between Coles and WW.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

THey have five major supermarkets in the UK and I would argue there is a big difference between the top end Sainsbury's and the bottom end Asda. At least a much bigger difference than there is between Coles and WW.
Based on my experience of living in the UK, I'm not convinced.

I could see a difference between Asda and Aldi or Netto but I saw little difference between Safeways (as was), Tesco, Sainsbury and Asda. Shopping in the big players was interchangeable.

Also Coles and Woolies are not homogeneous. Although there is a large overlap there are certain things that I can only get in Coles or only get in Safeway. Also their prices vary quite considerably for the same good. This smacks of lower competition more than homogeneous prices and products.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Before houses were severely unaffordable people had more disposable income and could pay these prices, now for a lot of new homeowners - who are exactly the kind of people who need the stuff Harvey sells - there is nothing left every month and yet they are still expected to pay these high prices. This in conjunction with lower online prices = an unhappy billionaire, I guess.
Need? Or want?

There's only one new appliance in my home. I see buying new as a complete waste of money.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Need? Or want?

There's only one new appliance in my home. I see buying new as a complete waste of money.
He sells stuff like couches and fridges doesn't he? Stuff to put in a new home, etc. Yes I also have bought at second hand shops. Got some great stuff in them.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:52 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

He's a lucky man who spotted the hole the market at the right time. However, since the market place is changing would it not make sense to change your business model. No, just whine about it some more.

Welcome to globalisation. For many Australians this concept is so alien they do not seem to understand the rest of the world embraced it some years ago.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

He sells stuff like couches and fridges doesn't he? Stuff to put in a new home, etc. Yes I also have bought at second hand shops. Got some great stuff in them.
My point was that this stuff is not essential i.e. a want rather than a need. If they've loaded up to the extreme on debt to buy an over priced house and they want all their furniture and appliances to be shiny and new, then that's their problem.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve2009
My point was that this stuff is not essential i.e. a want rather than a need. If they've loaded up to the extreme on debt to buy an over priced house and they want all their furniture and appliances to be shiny and new, then that's their problem.
Couches are not essential? I agree with your sentiments on debt by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.