Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I never have - and now I never will. Ever.

He makes me laugh when he says that internet sales have little affect on his sales - small electronics, phones, laptops, cameras make up a lot of HN's retail space - the very stuff that people are buying on the internet. So he is talking out of his arse.

I know Australian retail is pretty backward but I am really surprised that a major Aussie retailer like Woolworths, Westfarmers etc have not started an Amazon/Tesco/Walmart type internet site - I reckon they would make a killing.
My Daughter is concentrating on this side of Business at the Ad and Media company she is working at. Showing companies how to implement it, instore actually.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, the government had a great opportunity to inject some much needed competition into the book marketplace the year before last, but instead opted for continuing with the existing protectionist measures.

S
I just can't bring myself to pay $32 for a book that costs £8 on Amazon, or whatever. Does anyone here know why they fixed the book market in Australia? Has it always been rigged like this?

In edit: I just looked into this and part of it is that they have GST on books, but that still doesn't explain the full extra cost compared with other countries. The UK does not put VAT on books, I'm fairly sure, but even if they did, your average £8 paperback would come to £9.60. This in dollars is $15, albeit it on the present very weak pound.

Last edited by Seneca21; Nov 24th 2010 at 2:50 am.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there also some requirement that commercial tenants must pay a percentage of their sales to their landlord?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
I just can't bring myself to pay $32 for a book that costs £8 on Amazon, or whatever. Does anyone here know why they fixed the book market in Australia? Has it always been rigged like this?

Essentially, the government prohibits the parallel importation of books from cheaper suppliers overseas. So local booksellers have to obtain their stock from local publishers who can [and arguably do] charge what they want.

This is in spite of a productivity commission recommendation that parallel importation be phased in over three years to allow book sellers to obtain their books from where they like.

The government could have acted on this in 2009, but instead chose to maintain the status quo, which is effectively a protectionist measure pandering to the book publishing industry. Most of the book sellers, including Dymocks, supported the change.

There's an article about it here:

Australians deserve access to cheaper books

S
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Essentially, the government prohibits the parallel importation of books from cheaper suppliers overseas. So local booksellers have to obtain their stock from local publishers who can [and arguably do] charge what they want.

This is in spite of a productivity commission recommendation that parallel importation be phased in over three years to allow book sellers to obtain their books from where they like.

The government could have acted on this in 2009, but instead chose to maintain the status quo, which is effectively a protectionist measure pandering to the book publishing industry. Most of the book sellers, including Dymocks, supported the change.

There's an article about it here:

Australians deserve access to cheaper books

S
Thanks again - I'll have a read. I have heard the argument that allowing these changes will ruin Australian writers - what? - like all the destitute writers in the US and Europe??

People would buy far more books if they were affordable, and writers and publishers would make more money under the changes. For example, I have bought one book in an Australian book shop, and my wife has bought - I think - three. We have bought dozens of books through Amazon. We would buy all these books from Dymocks or Borders or wherever if th eprices were competitive. So instead of getting $32 for a book, they get $0 for it.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:28 am
ABCDiamond

THey have five major supermarkets in the UK and I would argue there is a big difference between the top end Sainsbury's and the bottom end Asda. At least a much bigger difference than there is between Coles and WW.
If including ASDA in UK, how about including the bottom end supermarkets in Australia as well then ? Since competition began here, almost 10 years ago, we have really cut down on shopping in Woolworths and Coles.

Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Who is the 'Norman' guy? I always see Gerry Harvey on TV, but Mr Norman is invisiible. (I'm guessing someone is going to say he is dead)

It's kind of like Microsoft, everyone sees and hears Bill Gates, no-one knows Paul Allen.

Or Apple, everyone knows Steve Jobs, know one knows Steve Wozniak

Everyone knows Gerry Harvey, who's this Norman bloke?

JTL
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Incidently Preston in Melbourne postcode 3072 will have Two Aldis in the one suburb soon. They are building one at the Junction of Plenty Rd and High St. Thats surprised the hell out of me. There are 5 now within 5 km's of each other... Heidelberg, Northcote, Two in Preston and Brunswick. Anywhere else got Two Aldis in the one Postcode ? Probably be one in Coburg soon, so that will be 6 within 5k's of Preston. Another 10 years of expansion like this and they really will be giving the big two grief.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 24th 2010 at 3:38 am.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:40 am
ABCDiamond

I found out yesterday that SA has the largest number of German immigrants in the whole country, for historical reasons. There are actually rather a lot of Germans in the state.

No wonder the public transport is as good as you say it is - it's probably organised by Germans.
Born Overseas - Adelaide
  • 9% United Kingdom (8% for South Australia)
  • 2% Italy (2% for South Australia)
  • 1% Germany (1% for South Australia)
  • 1% New Zealand (1% for South Australia)

Heck... even Hahndorf has very Germans
Born Overseas - Hahndorf 5245
  • 9% United Kingdom
  • 2% Germany

Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Who is the 'Norman' guy? I always see Gerry Harvey on TV, but Mr Norman is invisiible. (I'm guessing someone is going to say he is dead)

It's kind of like Microsoft, everyone sees and hears Bill Gates, no-one knows Paul Allen.

JTL
Why did you have to do that?

I have spent the most pointless minute of my life finding out.

And I feel unclean and worthless.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:48 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Why did you have to do that?

I have spent the most pointless minute of my life finding out.

And I feel unclean and worthless.
So tell us, is he dead or not?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:50 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
So tell us, is he dead or not?
I can't remember, I've blanked the whole experience ... he doesn't rate a 'link' in Wikipedia so there's a modern measure of significance ...
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
Forbes Rich List 2006:

#33 Ian Norman
Net Worth: $ 385 million
Married, 3 children

Gerry Harvey and Ian Norman opened their first store in 1961, sold up in 1982, to Grace Brothers. Grace Brothers then sold to Alan Bond, who promptly sacked both directors from their positions.

Gerry and Ian then started Harvey Norman in 1982.

Ian Norman, is now a silent partner of Gerry Harvey.

Mr Norman, who remains a non-executive director of Harvey Norman and its second largest shareholder with a stake worth some $630 million, received a $17.9 million dividend the previous year

Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:02 am
ABCDiamond

To be honest, I don't know a single person that would shop in HN. Everybody seems to say it's overpriced and not great value for money, and that includes just about all of the posters on this forum.

So who exactly is still shopping there?

S
With $6.4 billion in sales in 2010 they must have a few customers.

Not sure I would want to own one of the franchises though, with only a 6.1% operations margin.

Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Born Overseas - Adelaide
  • 9% United Kingdom (8% for South Australia)
  • 2% Italy (2% for South Australia)
  • 1% Germany (1% for South Australia)
  • 1% New Zealand (1% for South Australia)

Heck... even Hahndorf has very Germans
Born Overseas - Hahndorf 5245
  • 9% United Kingdom
  • 2% Germany
Why does it have to be born overseas? Your heritage isn't deleted because you were born in Australia. As I mentioned above, the large number of German-Australians in the state are due to a big wave in immigration many decades ago so they wouldn't register as "born overseas".

You can see the ethnic mix in this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Adelaide_CoB_dots.png

Note the orange dots represent people born in Germany. Also note that Perth is basically an English colony in comparison:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Perth_CoB_dots.png

Last edited by Seneca21; Nov 24th 2010 at 4:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.