Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Australian Police force

The Australian Police force

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Australian Police force

Originally Posted by Grayling
edited
What was said before? Can I see your notebook?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:31 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey!
A few articles in the press, (which never has slant does it), and all of a sudden the old bill are the villains. They do a bloody tough job on the frontline and I think seldom get thanked for it. Some people who fail to comply put themselves in harms way. Why should't the police tai action to prevent harm to themselves or others?

We were unfortunate enough to have been victims of crime last year and WA police were brilliant. I must admit I was surprisingly pleased how responsive and effective they were. I doubt I would have got that in the UK.

I have found many police react to how they are treated. Be an arse and your experience will be less pleasant.

Sure there are a few bad apples, there are everywhere but I say raise a glass to our police and thank them.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:33 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Few bad apples? Couple of kilos if you ask me. I have respected police in the Europe and here (everywhere) and appreciate their job and brought up my kids to respect them. Have many friends in the police forces in various countries. However, here, I did have an incident where the policeman (covered in tats!) totally lied under oath. Gave me such a threatening eyeball when leaving Court.
No more respect from me.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:33 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I have a wee cousin who's a copper in Newcastle (UK) and every time I see him he regales me with stories of how him and his workmates get the chance to knock the living sh*t out of people on a weekend.

I personally wouldn't trust a cop or police force anywhere in the world.

To me people who choose to be in the police are pretty similar to people who choose to be in the army.
You mean wanting to serve their country and defend it to the best of their abilities, and with their lives if necessary
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
You mean wanting to serve their country and defend it to the best of their abilities, and with their lives if necessary

If I may:

Whilst both are uniformed services, to me - the single biggest difference between a serviceman and a policeman is that a policeman gets to go home after every shift and is very much a part of the society that trained him or her - (yes yes I've heard all the knockers!!) : a serviceman could spend years stationed away in a tight-knit community with infact little contact with the world at large, and indeed work on shift for many, many months(!) Perhaps the levels of intensity are greater?

A serviceman is trained to kill, and is expected to have to kill (ultimately). A policeman is armed in self-defence.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:56 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Few bad apples? Couple of kilos if you ask me. I have respected police in the Europe and here (everywhere) and appreciate their job and brought up my kids to respect them. Have many friends in the police forces in various countries. However, here, I did have an incident where the policeman (covered in tats!) totally lied under oath. Gave me such a threatening eyeball when leaving Court.
No more respect from me.
Oh well if they had tats they must have been corrupt.If thats you level of prejudice perhaps best your not a copper eh?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:59 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Oh well if they had tats they must have been corrupt.If thats you level of prejudice perhaps best your not a copper eh?
Yep, call it prejudice. I don't expect to see my lawyer, my doctor or my bank manager covered in tats. 80% of prisoners have tats. Prejudice? or Fact? What does that say?
I don't expect police to be covered in tats.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:28 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

well...the sydney police are usually cute. can't complain.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:28 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I know i will be jumped on and some will expect this but the British Police are lightyears ahead of the various Australian forces in their attitude and behaviour. You only have to watch any of the cop shows currently doing the rounds and the difference is amazing. I have quite a few good friends in the Aussie force and they are great people but it seems when the uniform goes on and more importantly the gun is in the holster it all changes. As you say very Americanised.
You do realize its make believe don't you Chris?

Its not real mate, they are actors.

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, call it prejudice. I don't expect to see my lawyer, my doctor or my bank manager covered in tats. 80% of prisoners have tats. Prejudice? or Fact? What does that say?
Thats a shame... To be so prejudiced... Its a FACT that we are seeing a new generation of people from all walks of life who are embracing body art as a means of self expression.... And it has passed you by....
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:33 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

let's dance haka

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:41 pm
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
You do realize its make believe don't you Chris?

Its not real mate, they are actors.

the cops are cuter in real life.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by eddie007
Thats a shame... To be so prejudiced... Its a FACT that we are seeing a new generation of people from all walks of life who are embracing body art as a means of self expression.... And it has passed you by....
I've said this before. I have a small tatoo. I got it before they were fashionable and it was a bit of a talking point in some places. It's now gone.

If truth be told, tattoos are not clever at all, in my opinion, and I don't like them - unless they are so devilishly cute and mostly hidden. And yes, people from all walks of life have had tatoos at various times.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

They were fashionable when i got mine... But not as extensive as they are nowadays... And not as "visable" on most females...we mostly kept ours undercover
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:34 pm
I don't re Member

Originally Posted by eddie007
Don't think so at all. No problem with tasteful tats but full arm and leg - as far as I am concerned - are not acceptable for public facing employees of any industry. I will never, ever, employ one and plenty of my colleagues are of the same opinion.
Next thing the "anti-prejudice" police will be saying is that the new ban on bikie gangs owning tattoo parlors doesn't make sense. Go figure...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.