Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Australian Police force

The Australian Police force

Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Australian Police force

Now I respect any person who joins any police force. I really believe that any man or women that joins the Police want to make a difference to society and make it a safer place for all of us. They have real courage and I don't think I could do the job. The hard decisions that need to be made in seconds!!!!

The Police today face problems that generations past have never had to face, these are violent times, especially inner city areas.

But you see the news at the moment of so many recent situations of the Police taking the option to shoot and take down the offender in Australia.

And then there was the double taser gun incident where that guy from Brazil copped it.

Then there was that image of that Police officer at the SCG beating the living crap out of a guy who was causing trouble, but was clearly surrounded by security and other Police officers, but no one jumped in and stopped this Policeman kicking the crap out of this guy with his fists. Then I think it turned out that this Police guy was a relation of the big boss of NSW Police, guess what, he was back straight to work and you hear no more about it.

When I see a British Police Officer I generally respect them and their position. I am not so sure I am so confident with the Australian Police force. They seem Americanised which isn't a good thing.

I just don't think the standard of the Police force is as high here as in the UK.

Last edited by Jon77; Apr 21st 2012 at 10:52 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:56 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Australian Police force

I know i will be jumped on and some will expect this but the British Police are lightyears ahead of the various Australian forces in their attitude and behaviour. You only have to watch any of the cop shows currently doing the rounds and the difference is amazing. I have quite a few good friends in the Aussie force and they are great people but it seems when the uniform goes on and more importantly the gun is in the holster it all changes. As you say very Americanised.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I know i will be jumped on and some will expect this but the British Police are lightyears ahead of the various Australian forces in their attitude and behaviour. You only have to watch any of the cop shows currently doing the rounds and the difference is amazing. I have quite a few good friends in the Aussie force and they are great people but it seems when the uniform goes on and more importantly the gun is in the holster it all changes. As you say very Americanised.
Indeed, I believe in the fact the British Police are not armed with guns (although there is a firearms response unit of course). I think it is a sad day when regular Police on the beat need to be armed with guns.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:04 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is when you see a couple of young cops with guns walking around in a shopping mall it just makes them unapproachable.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:15 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is when you see a couple of young cops with guns walking around in a shopping mall it just makes them unapproachable.
Bollocks. I have people approach me all the time. Tourists want photos with me, kids want to come up to chat (and we always make time to have a nice chat to the kiddies). It's just the norm here (for people who have grown up here), people don't seem to be freaked out by it and they certainly seem to think I'm approachable.

But maybe that's just me
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I have people approach me all the time.
edited

Last edited by Grayling; Apr 21st 2012 at 11:26 pm. Reason: can't be bothered
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bollocks. I have people approach me all the time. Tourists want photos with me, kids want to come up to chat (and we always make time to have a nice chat to the kiddies). It's just the norm here (for people who have grown up here), people don't seem to be freaked out by it and they certainly seem to think I'm approachable.

But maybe that's just me
Maybe that is the problem, people are used to how it is now, they don't know any different or that there can be other ways. Being used to something doesn't always mean that that something is good.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:26 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Whether or not one force is better who cares. What matters is that prevantable deaths happen in both countries. When this happens the police can suffer PTSD and families lose loved ones. Better training could prevent more deaths. The facts are that it is those who are mentally ill who are statistically far too overpresented.
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Now I respect any person who joins any police force. I really believe that any man or women that joins the Police want to make a difference to society and make it a safer place for all of us. They have real courage and I don't think I could do the job. The hard decisions that need to be made in seconds!!!!

The Police today face problems that generations past have never had to face, these are violent times, especially inner city areas.

But you see the news at the moment of so many recent situations of the Police taking the option to shoot and take down the offender in Australia.

And then there was the double taser gun incident where that guy from Brazil copped it.

Then there was that image of that Police officer at the SCG beating the living crap out of a guy who was causing trouble, but was clearly surrounded by security and other Police officers, but no one jumped in and stopped this Policeman kicking the crap out of this guy with his fists. Then I think it turned out that this Police guy was a relation of the big boss of NSW Police, guess what, he was back straight to work and you hear no more about it.

When I see a British Police Officer I generally respect them and their position. I am not so sure I am so confident with the Australian Police force. They seem Americanised which isn't a good thing.

I just don't think the standard of the Police force is as high here as in the UK.
I have a wee cousin who's a copper in Newcastle (UK) and every time I see him he regales me with stories of how him and his workmates get the chance to knock the living sh*t out of people on a weekend.

I personally wouldn't trust a cop or police force anywhere in the world.

To me people who choose to be in the police are pretty similar to people who choose to be in the army.
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Could be looking to buy drugs?

...or has all that changed?
Apparently things are a bit different now than in the 'good old days' lol
Originally Posted by Jon77
Maybe that is the problem, people are used to how it is now, they don't know any different or that there can be other ways. Being used to something doesn't always mean that that something is good.
Yeah maybe you're right. I'm just pointing out that I'm approachable.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:30 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I have a wee cousin who's a copper in Newcastle and every time I see him he regales me with stories of how him and his workmates get the chance to knock the living sh*t out of people on a weekend.

I personally wouldn't trust a cop or pilice force anywhere in the world.

To me people who choose to be in the police are pretty similar to people who choose to be in the army.
Well I don't know a single copper like that. Which is not to say they aren't out there, but with 14,000 members of the QPS, I guess you're bound to get a few rotten apples (don't know about NSW).

99.9% of us work hard to help good people and lock up bad people, even though we have to put up with being abused, spat at, assaulted etc on a far too regular basis. But we still do it, because we're trying to do our bit.

Last edited by Scubaemma; Apr 21st 2012 at 11:31 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:32 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

But maybe that's just me
I find the police very approachable here & for the vast majority very professional.
It's just that I sometimes approach them a little too fast............
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The Australian police have certainly cleaned up their act from the old days when corruption scandals seemed the norm

They do seem to have become a bit 'trigger happy' though.

Maybe society gets the police (and politicians) it deserves.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:46 pm
Banned

Queensland has always had the best Police force money can buy but they are certainly better than they used to be.
I can only base my opinion on my own personal experiences, those that concern the Police in Queensland havent been overly bad but in NSW and Victoria they have been less than professional and forgettable.

Originally Posted by Grayling
The Australian police have certainly cleaned up their act from the old days when corruption scandals seemed the norm

They do seem to have become a bit 'trigger happy' though.

Maybe society gets the police (and politicians) it deserves.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Light years? Quantify?

I agree that equipping with wpns is a big decision (actually maybe not) but think back to the UK cops of the 70s or even 80s. You might be surprised at how differently even Uk police look and behave now compared to then. A lot more hardware - and of course, the ditching of the hat. And a lot more mechanised, and yes, American. Remember the two-tone sirens of the 70s...long replaced with flashy Yank stuff.

It seems to me that what has happened in the UK is that the wpns are in highly tactical locations and ready to go. Not a disastrous model.

Australian police can be approachable - it's all dependant on the individual.

My personal opinion is that police should be armed. After all the Europeans arm their police even the French and the Belgians...

We've come along way from the local British bobby and his size 13s....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.