Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

I recall reading--and it is a sign of advancing age, advancing gut, and poor Google skills that I cannot provide a link as to where--that Australia ranks #2 behind the US's #1 in terms of having populations (as opposed to individuals) that are both fit and fat, i.e. that have disproportionate representation from the extremes of both tendencies.

Certainly my own experience of both countries backs that up.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:53 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you are a Sea Eagles fan then?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by abner
I recall reading--and it is a sign of advancing age, advancing gut, and poor Google skills that I cannot provide a link as to where--that Australia ranks #2 behind the US's #1 in terms of having populations (as opposed to individuals) that are both fit and fat, i.e. that have disproportionate representation from the extremes of both tendencies.

Certainly my own experience of both countries backs that up.
I have the same two first problems as you, but am better on the third

Australia now world's fattest nation
The latest figures show 4 million Australians — or 26% of the adult population — are now obese
http://www.theage.com.au/news/health...770886872.html

but....

More than one-third (33% +) of U.S. adults were obese in 2005–2006.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db01.pdf
US: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey

33% of US are Obese per government figures, but Australia has more at 26% ??

Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I take it you are a Sea Eagles fan then?
No...
But googling rubgy player height weight, came up with a page with all their players details, so I used it to get their BMI's

While I am at it, this one is only Overweight.......

Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:07 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
What a load of b0llocks
if you are talking about BMI as a measure of obesity, then I agree
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:12 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No...
But googling rubgy player height weight, came up with a page with all their players details, so I used it to get their BMI's

While I am at it, this one is only Overweight.......

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1108/...df30146e2e.jpg
Certainly doesnt look overweight to me

...shame about the face though
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:15 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Well, although BMI may be a rather crude indicator I suspect that sports people are a very small proportion of those in the overweight and obese categories.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:15 am
Account Closed

here is another fatty according to the BMI method
Attached Thumbnails Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?-jonnywilkinson_468x636.jpg  
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:17 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

NO fat - just fud
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Well, although BMI may be a rather crude indicator I suspect that sports people are a very small proportion of those in the overweight and obese categories.

its a wildly inaccurate indicator'.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:21 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
here is another fatty according to the BMI method
no he's just Phat!

Seeing all those upset Aussie faces was never as satisfying as on that fateful day in November 03
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BenandPam
So I have been wondering, given that the sports facilities in Australia are plentiful across a wide variety of sports, and the weather doesn't prevent people from taking part in sport, why is there such a high rate of obesity here ?
Australia defines itself by it's sporting triumphs, yet it ranks as one of the most obese nations on Earth, along with the USA (who also take sport very seriously). The sad thing is that good quality food is easily available in Australia, with good markets, fruit and veg shops and decent butchers, yet clearly the vast majority of the population choose to eat crap. It seems a lot of Australians choose to work hard and then not bother playing at all.
Thoughts ?
Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Add those two quotes together and what do you get....

Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
no he's just Phat!

Seeing all those upset Aussie faces was never as satisfying as on that fateful day in November 03
you've spelt twat wrong
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia - good at sport, so why so fat ?

Originally Posted by BenandPam
So I have been wondering, given that the sports facilities in Australia are plentiful across a wide variety of sports, and the weather doesn't prevent people from taking part in sport, why is there such a high rate of obesity here ?
We're all fans of Ian Botham.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Then how come so many sportsmen are Obese ?
why dispute this??? bmi is just height and weight ratio... these guys weigh loads but as as fit as and full of muscle mass - it makes sense that they would tip the bmi scales~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.