Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia to become a republic?

Australia to become a republic?

Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:41 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia to become a republic?

Originally Posted by Tableland
It would be enough to know I invented it....he says now. Seriously though, I can't think of an Austalian symbol than can be abstracted as easily as the maple leaf, other than the boomerang which is ridiculous. France and Holland have very similar flags and Australia and NZ are similar nations, so I don't see the harm of them sharing the southern cross for the short time it takes NZ to switch its flag to the black and fern thingm, which is inevitable.

As for colours, in my opinion I don't see the problem in having blue and white. Its claim on its identity as part of the old British family is the same as Canada's red and white, after all.

But something tells me the new flag will be pretty horrid, because things have changed since the 1960s when Canada's flag was invented. Back then you didn't have 4000 minority groups all demanding representation. The new Australia flag will probably end up being red, white, blue, green, gold, black and yellow, and have the southern cross, the Commonwealth star, a boomerang, two kangaroos, a spring of wattle, a koala and a surfboard.

Stick to the southern cross! It's respected. Just look at my avatar - this is the flag of the new Australian Republic. You know it. You can feel it. Admit it!
As stated in a previous post, I reject the representation of specific ethnicity on the Australian flag. It causes more problems than it solves.

I definitely want a flag with the Commonwealth Star and the Southern Cross. But I still feel that we need... something else.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Australia to become a republic?

Originally Posted by guest5234
Australia is not multicultural,

Apartheid is the right word. The assumptions underlying this racial separatism regarding the law are almost (if not equally) as racist as what was formerly practised in South Africa,they are the most disadvantaged group in Australia.
Thanks for your opinion. Now you need to familiarise yourself with the voice of Aboriginal Australia.

You can start with Noel Pearson. A collection of his writings is available here.

And theworse health level of any indigenous group in the world.
This is due to many factors. It cannot be solely blamed upon the government.

The greatest threats to Aboriginal health are political apathy, welfare dependency, abandonment of cultural identity, and lack of social obligation.

Aborigines lost their self determination upon the colonisation of Australia two centuries ago.
That was then; this is now.

Todday's Australian Aborigines have the right - and the means - to self determination.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:46 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australia to become a republic?

If I have to explain it to you it would prove you are obviously short of the knowledge of the UK, I will ask you to name one Country that is more Democratic then the UK and why.

Brussels does not effect our REAL laws and decisions in any way.
It is generally recognised that Australia is the most democratic country in the world for the simple reason that voting in federal elections is compulsory. Turnout is thus around 95%.

In the UK turnout in general elections is around 60%
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Australia to become a republic?

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
It is generally recognised that Australia is the most democratic country in the world for the simple reason that voting in federal elections is compulsory. Turnout is thus around 95%.

You make a good point, though in all fairness it must be acknowledged that the system does not guarantee legitimate votes.

Australia's ballot boxes will have their fair share of "donkey votes" and spoilt papers.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:19 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I definitely want a flag with the Commonwealth Star and the Southern Cross. But I still feel that we need... something else.
Quite right, but what was wrong with the boxing kangaroo ?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:24 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Australia to become a republic?

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Quite right, but what was wrong with the boxing kangaroo ?
Quite apart from any other objection (such as its humorous absurdity), it is owned by the Australian Olympic Committee.

Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:31 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Thanks for your opinion. Now you need to familiarise yourself with the voice of Aboriginal Australia.

You can start with Noel Pearson. A collection of his writings is available here.

This is due to many factors. It cannot be solely blamed upon the government.

The greatest threats to Aboriginal health are political apathy, welfare dependency, abandonment of cultural identity, and lack of social obligation.

That was then; this is now.

Todday's Australian Aborigines have the right - and the means - to self determination.
I see the voice of ONE person, he does not speak for anyone else.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:33 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

And were would that be regonised........

ohhhhh white Australia

Forcing people to vote is very undemocratic. sounds very commi.

Last edited by guest5234; Dec 17th 2007 at 3:37 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 4:08 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Australia to become a republic?

I see the voice of ONE person, he does not speak for anyone else.
Nonsense. As a lawyer, land rights activist, Aboriginal leader and representative, he speaks for a great many people.

And he is hardly alone in his views.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 4:12 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

And were would that be regonised........

ohhhhh white Australia

Forcing people to vote is very undemocratic. sounds very commi.
It is actually recognised in several history books by UK authors.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 4:37 pm
Banned

It is actually recognised in several history books by UK authors.
I dont belive you, can you prove it please. with links.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

I dont belive you, can you prove it please. with links.
You seem to be quite adept at demanding evidence and proof from people, but remarkably reluctant to provide any to support your own assertions.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:01 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
You seem to be quite adept at demanding evidence and proof from people, but remarkably reluctant to provide any to support your own assertions.
there is very little internet connection under the bridge I fear.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Talking Re: Australia to become a republic?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
there is very little internet connection under the bridge I fear.
Perhaps we should start a protest march: "Wi-Fi for trolls!"
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:08 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we should start a protest march: "Wi-Fi for trolls!"
maybe one of those e-petitions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.