Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie newsreaders 'World Record!'

Wikiposts

Aussie newsreaders 'World Record!'

Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:50 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie newsreaders 'World Record!'

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
You've just broken my very fragile heart Arkon. Shame on you.
Oh no! Tell me how and I'll get my super glue out and fix it!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:03 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE=arkon;4331760]Oh no! Tell me how and I'll get my super glue out and fix it![/QUOTE]

Aaww, would you do that for me, would you? It was because you said that the 'rest of the world doesn't exist'....OMG, how am I ever going to tell my family back home?

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Jan 27th 2007 at 12:07 am.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:07 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, would you do that for me, would you? It was because you said that the 'rest of the world doesn't exist'....OMG, how am I ever going to tell my family back home?
It is a problem, but it is a good way of making a countries minor achievements world breaking thumping great ones, just pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. (Oh unless you are beating them at sport).
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:12 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
It is a problem, but it is a good way of making a countries minor achievements world breaking thumping great ones, just pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. (Oh unless you are beating them at sport).
You mean like the 'Socceroos'? That international, first time in the World Cup team who have a babies name? Can't be called Australia, they just haven't grown up yet? That kind of thing?
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:22 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

You mean like the 'Socceroos'? That international, first time in the World Cup team who have a babies name? Can't be called Australia, they just haven't grown up yet? That kind of thing?
Yep that's the kind of thing, When I first heard the name socceroos, I cringed big time. All my friends back home knew I came here and the idea of a national team called that rather than it's nations name, well the shame of it. I can never go home now. I've emmigrated to the kindergarden state. Whats worse, if it can actually get any worse is all the "Everyone around the world thought that Australia was the best during the world cup" clap trap that was on the news for weeks here.

I suppose I should be charitable, they did get quite far despite being the object of ridicule the world over. Socceroo....SoccerWHO more like.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:30 am
'In limboland'

Yep that's the kind of thing, When I first heard the name socceroos, I cringed big time. All my friends back home knew I came here and the idea of a national team called that rather than it's nations name, well the shame of it. I can never go home now. I've emmigrated to the kindergarden state. Whats worse, if it can actually get any worse is all the "Everyone around the world thought that Australia was the best during the world cup" clap trap that was on the news for weeks here.

I suppose I should be charitable, they did get quite far despite being the object of ridicule the world over. Socceroo....SoccerWHO more like.

Re: Name one positive thing about your life in Oz you couldn't have in the UK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order of importance to me:

- Cherry Ripes

- A winning cricket team

- No class system

- A work ethic

- Non-corrupt politicians

- Police who carry guns

- Beautiful asia on our doorstep

- Affordable housing

- Beaches with sand

- Affordable grocery prices

- Quality restaurants

- fresh seafood

- Fair salaries for all

- A sense of humour (the abilty to laugh at ourselves and others).

- Here, you're better off being down on your luck than up yourself.

- Not the laughing stock of the world (I/e english football team).

Just to name a few.

But not according to this guy!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:54 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Not sure anymore what forum to post things like this to, but I thought this lot would appreciate it the most.

Australia day and the early evening news. The news reporter was reporting on all the 'wacky' things that get done during the day and said 'nowhere in the world does the kind of wacky things we do here'. He then went on to tell of a 'massive' prey in involving 10,000 praying people and his comment was:- 'It just must be a world record!'. My first thoughts were I think the Cathlics in rome might just trump it, and if not I'm sure the millions that visit mecca every year might just surpass the Aussie world record.

As for nowhere else in the world doing such wacky things, all I can say it's probably true when the rest of the world only exists for a few hundred km's around the Australian coastline.

While I'm on a rant, there was an Australian day PR advert running on the history channel called 'icon towns' and it chundered on and on listing all the virtues of Australia and it's towns. It took me a while to get my breath back from all the shouting I did at the telly, Everything they saw as a virtue I saw as either, lame, lazy, boring or just plain wrong.

End of rant. Sorry to the rest of the world on here reading this, you don't exist so please don't get upset.
You might like this Arkon - in todays paper there was a newspaper article about a US report listing countries quality of life rankings. Things like economy, culture and leisure, infrastructure, climate, freedom, health service etc. The country you love to hate was 2nd! France was first. Guess where the UK finished - 37th! Not that I am rubbing your nose in it of course.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Runnymede has a spectacular aura aboutRunnymede has a spectacular aura aboutRunnymede has a spectacular aura about

You've just broken my very fragile heart Arkon. Shame on you.

AAAAAAAAAAAH!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Runnymede has a spectacular aura aboutRunnymede has a spectacular aura aboutRunnymede has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by denver
You might like this Arkon - in todays paper there was a newspaper article about a US report listing countries quality of life rankings. Things like economy, culture and leisure, infrastructure, climate, freedom, health service etc. The country you love to hate was 2nd! France was first. Guess where the UK finished - 37th! Not that I am rubbing your nose in it of course.
Well a fat lot of good that is! I can't speak French and I dont' like their cooking! Now I think about it, I can't speak Oz either!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Aussie newsreaders 'World Record!'

Hey, you missed out the Hockeyroo's and the wombats. I am waiting for a team called the Platypusses!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Womat
Hi, I am an Australian who just recently stumbled across this forum and I've been wandering around the site reading quite a few of the threads. It's been interesting and enlightening reading the members' experiences and opinions.

I don't believe I would be in the minority of Australians who think remarks along the lines of the news reader are just plain insulting to the viewing audience, but we aren't the only country in the world that employs idiot writers for mouthpieces on the TV. I've heard similar remarks made by media of other countries but I don't believe their citizens swallow it hook, line and sinker just as we don't.

As for Scott McGregor on Icon Towns I can't grab the remote control fast enough, he'd be an acquired taste for a few.

I realise this forum is for British expats so I'll duck away quietly if my input is not wanted.
My last post has gone astray, so I shall make this short. Of course you can have your say, you weren't rude...unlike some on this Forum. One thing I will ask of you, the next time you watch telivision listen and count how many times the word "Australia/Australian/ or Aussie is mentioned...even in ads, it seems as if 'they' want to make sure you know, 'where' you are and 'who' you are, I find it very trying and most insecure. Just listen.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:14 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

In order of importance to me:

- Cherry Ripes

- A winning cricket team

- No class system

- A work ethic

- Police who carry guns

- Affordable housing

- Beaches with sand

- Quality restaurants

- fresh seafood

- Fair salaries for all

- Not the laughing stock of the world (I/e english football team).

Just to name a few.

But not according to this guy!
Just got to be a wind up, but I can't refuse a good whinge so here goes...
- Cherry Ripes
(That was really worth emmigrating for)

- A winning cricket team
(I'd rather watch paint dry)

- No class system
(LOL, Ok so no toffs and scoffs, but plenty of have and have not's. The class system is alive and well here but just not the kind of class you're used to)

- A work ethic
(Yeah right, It's a well known Australian trait that they are very proud of, the laid back lifestyle and work attitude. Translated means can't be arsed to do a good job. I don't doubt they work long ours or hard, but quantity isn't everything. The work ethic here is a couldn't give a rat's arse ethic)

(Oh my, what can I say, Non corrupt!! Just must be some other country you were refering to)

- Police who carry guns
(Great, and they are not affraid to use them either, just don't park the wrong way in the street)

(You can keep that, give me Europe anyday)

- Affordable housing
(Year right, if you want a tree house or shed maybe, but if you want to live somwhere remotely un chavvy and near civilisation or by the coast your in for a shock)

- Beaches with sand
(I come from Cornwall where all the beaches had sand, so you must be on about another country)

(Yep, very affordable, and they keep the price rises to a very low 20-30% a year. I can't give a hoot what they say the RPI is here. Where I am and my life I've seen my grocery bill double in the 2 years I've been here, and petrol has gone up 50%+ (I'm pretty sure it hasn't gone up that much back home))

- Quality restaurants
(Ho Hum, none near me)

- fresh seafood
(What was it back home then? Always seemed mighty fresh to me)

- Fair salaries for all
(If you want to be the man who checks your docket and lifts the barrier at bunnings then maybe you are right)

(Yeah but a sense of humour that is so unsophisticated and toilet based as to be tottaly un-funny to me. Give me a British sense of humour anyday rather than the "it gets funnier the louder you shout the joke" type)

(No idea what you mean here)

Ok I'm off out to work and get some skin cancer and cataracts!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

can actually get any worse is all the "Everyone around the world thought that Australia was the best during the world cup" clap trap that was on the news for weeks here.
Sometimes I think you just are plain wrong, or twist things around. What seemed to be the consensus was that the world enjoyed watching Australia play, and a lot of positive things were said about their supporters, and the team won over some neutrals.

It happens a lot in sport championships, people get behind a 'minor' nation and enjoy them before concentrating on the real sporting giants in that game. Sort of like Cameroon in 1990.

Doesn't that sound more like it?
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think people overplay this Australia insecurity thing. It's just another tabloid news thing which some people ignore - even Australians.

I think it's OK to let off a bit of healthy steam once in a while. I'll let you into a secret - show me people who have reached the top of their game or profession or competed at elite level and they will be proud of it even if they 'pretend' to be modest in polite company - there is a time and place for all these things. i) You've earnt it ii) You've reaped the rewards.

Generalising in some fields: all this pandering to the weak and 2nd best is desiged by people who are 2nd best and have never worked out how to win. Trust me, I know! I've been 'No.1' and know what if feels like to 'win', but win 'well'. And occasionally the middle and bottom tier don't like it when you rub their noses in it. All good fun - you hope they will raise their game.

Ever watched Sky TV rugby reports/promos in the early 00s. There was stacks of England this, England that then too.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=iPom;4331296]

I guess newsreaders get paid to reflect a certain view... that of their network or owner - Murdoch? I don't know what channel you watch.

QUOTE]

BBC World is pretty good.

One of the worst things I see is Sky (UK and Australia) when they have the polls.

e.g. there's just been a news item about Hilali or whoever saying that all white Australian women should be raped because they are "asking for it" and then straight after the item, there's a poll saying "Should Hilali be sent back to Saudi Arabia"

Makes me cringe every time I see a poll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.