Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie Football..... A league... Calling all UK fans....

Aussie Football..... A league... Calling all UK fans....

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:52 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Football..... A league... Calling all UK fans....

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
Roar drew 0-0 with Adelaide last night and it was a shite game, waste of two hours and $30.
were we at the same game?

I thought it was a great game, its just a shame that we didnt put one passed Bajic.. he unfortnately was man of the match easily...
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:57 pm
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

I'm lumbered with Sydney FC I'm afraid. I actually got a season ticket last year and went to every home game, plus Central Coast away, which is a fair return I reckon, especially as I don't really care that much whether they win or not! I thought the quality of football last year was pretty poor, but it was good to be able to experience a big crowd and an atmosphere again. I used to go down to Aussie stadium with either the missus, her brother-in-law or a mate from work, but they are slacking this year so far.

Anybody based in Sydney interested in going to a few games?
Old Sep 24th 2006, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Should definitely be another crowd record set next Sunday 1st oct. Melbourne 5 out of 5. Pity its on a sunday at 5.30 though.

Anything above 40,000 will be brilliant, combined with another win of course.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:18 am
Just Joined

brizvegas123 is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day - where do you meet up in Brisbane - hubby is life long Villa supporter and would certainly enjoy talking to people who understand that "football" is not AFL or Rugby League

QUOTE=ozzieeagle]Well this season compeition has got off to a flying start, With great crowds and atmosphere. The clubs are gaining strength, people that are going are reporting a great expeirence. For me personally it's a godsend, after 26 years without being able to go on almost a weekly basis to my local teams home and away games throughout the year. I will admit the standard isn't what we are used to in the UK. However only by going and taking part in the days action will we be able to attract a better standard of play (hopefully). From what I've seen so far, a afternoon or evening at the football seems to have a far more encompassing and involving atmosphere, than the local Fairies in the park "AFL" ....

Quiet often there are threads that pop up about the A league, but as yet nothing has been coordinated, I'd like to take the opportunity to start the ball rolling at least in getting interested fans to get to meet each other in their respective cities.

I know of two two fairly substantial groups outside the expats, from UK football supporters that meet up in Sydney and Brisbane. So if you miss the football banter of the UK, want to meet up pre and maybe post match, make some football orientated freinds then please make your interest known on here.. I think we also have access to a group in Perth as well. Melbourne and Adelaide are yet to have a set meeting place as of yet. Melbourne will be easy to set up.... It's just there are little groups all over the place.

I'm on holidays as of the end of next week, so I can give this a month of pushing, after that I will be busy, and not as up with it as I would like, hopefully by then this thread will be free running and self sustaning.

Jump on board, and lets start

Whos up for Sunday... Melbourne Victory V Queensland Roar at the Telstra dome.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:45 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

I must admit that I cannot grasp the fact that Aussies call Rugby League 'football' and an eggball is known as a football. How does that work, when it's a sport played predominantly with the hands? Handball maybe, but certainly not football. Fair play to SBS and the Sydney Morning Herald who are trying to push real English - Kick a ball with the foot = football. If you know the origin of the dreaded 'soccer' (sic) word you'd never mention or acknowledge the word.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:49 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

have to agree. i thought it was a good game, much better than last season anyway (but how could it not be with that loser michael baird gone).

Originally Posted by sloake

I thought it was a great game, its just a shame that we didnt put one passed Bajic.. he unfortnately was man of the match easily...
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:13 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sloake

True. The game was a classic, one of the best 0 - 0 draws I've seen for ages.

If only Qu had scored that free header that would have been very embarrassing for a very talented Roar outfit!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brizvegas123
G'day - where do you meet up in Brisbane - hubby is life long Villa supporter and would certainly enjoy talking to people who understand that "football" is not AFL or Rugby League

QUOTE=ozzieeagle]Well this season compeition has got off to a flying start, With great crowds and atmosphere. The clubs are gaining strength, people that are going are reporting a great expeirence. For me personally it's a godsend, after 26 years without being able to go on almost a weekly basis to my local teams home and away games throughout the year. I will admit the standard isn't what we are used to in the UK. However only by going and taking part in the days action will we be able to attract a better standard of play (hopefully). From what I've seen so far, a afternoon or evening at the football seems to have a far more encompassing and involving atmosphere, than the local Fairies in the park "AFL" ....

Quiet often there are threads that pop up about the A league, but as yet nothing has been coordinated, I'd like to take the opportunity to start the ball rolling at least in getting interested fans to get to meet each other in their respective cities.

I know of two two fairly substantial groups outside the expats, from UK football supporters that meet up in Sydney and Brisbane. So if you miss the football banter of the UK, want to meet up pre and maybe post match, make some football orientated freinds then please make your interest known on here.. I think we also have access to a group in Perth as well. Melbourne and Adelaide are yet to have a set meeting place as of yet. Melbourne will be easy to set up.... It's just there are little groups all over the place.

I'm on holidays as of the end of next week, so I can give this a month of pushing, after that I will be busy, and not as up with it as I would like, hopefully by then this thread will be free running and self sustaning.

Jump on board, and lets start

Whos up for Sunday... Melbourne Victory V Queensland Roar at the Telstra dome.
[/QUOTE]

I love footie so would be up for that. I live in Brissie. Up the Roar LOL.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say that so far the Q'land group is the most enthusastic of them all with a substantial group of UK supporters meeting everyweek. I'll get the exact address later.

However does the Caxton ring a bell to anyone up there ?

Could be some people joining this thread from outside britishexpats in the next few days
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Have to say that so far the Q'land group is the most enthusastic of them all with a substantial group of UK supporters meeting everyweek. I'll get the exact address later.

Could be some people joining this thread from outside britishexpats in the next few days
Sounds awesome. I am looking forward to a few and some footie banter. I have not heard of the Caxton.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:04 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Queensland Roar will be by local side when i get there,are they any good? and what sort of attendances do they get?
Not too bothered with the standard as my own side Glasgow Rangers have been awful for the last few years!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

pen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nice

If you are meeting in Melbourne and going to the match we'd be up for coming along and sinking a few

cheers

pen8uin
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:34 am
Big Member

Palace4Ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Roar Supporters.

Ozzieeagle pm me about where we meet up in Brisbane. It is the
The Caxton
38 Caxton Street
Petrie Terrace 4000
There are a few of us who go now but we would like more.
We might change our meeting place to Pig and Whistle on Eagle street, because they run a bus from there to the ground but we havent decided yet.
If you are intetrested in joining us then please pm me and will give you the details on the next meet.
Come along the more Brits we have there the more football atomsphere we can get.
Cheers
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We also have quite a big group of various supporters in Sydney, that I'm trying to pin down.

The guys in Sydney will probably be the ones that manage to get the away support happening as they are in close contact with some major football organisers in this country.

So next stop Sydney.

Perth is also covered, will chat with them later.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:38 am
Big Member

Palace4Ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Well you've moved to Aus and everything is a great the weather's lovely the people are great there's less traffic, but hang on there's one thing missing. Yes Football, i miss the Saturday afternoon in the pub having a few beers then going to the football and then going back to the pub win lose or draw, the banter with the away fans the laughs and jokes of fellow football fans.

Well never fear we can create that here in Brisbane. If you miss your football and fancy meeting for the the Roar games then i have a solution, i am trying to arrange as many expats as possiable to join us first at the Pig and Whistle before the game then we have organised a bus to take us to the Suncorp stadium and the bus to bring us back to the Pig and Whistle.

The next game will be 22nd Oct Roar v Newcastle. If you are intetresed then please drop me a pm. I havent finalised a price yet but it will be $30 for the match ticket then what ever is the cost for the bus. The more people who want to go the cheaper it will be.

Come on try it you might even like it.

Cheers Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.