Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2010 Ashes series?
Australia
23.68%
England
67.11%
Series Drawn (England retain the ashes)
9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:25 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Soooooo funny, I walked into work tonight, there is a loud conversation going on about AFL and what a great sport it is and how it is the biggtest sport in the countr and no point in bothering with anything else I managed to get a word in to ask if anyone had watched the cricket and apparently after the first day no-one bothered at all because "the Aussies are going to win all the other matches, not that it matters cos cricket is an old and boring sport...." Talk about sore losers!!!! I said I thought it was a good match all round but no, they thought it was appalling and the two who did watch reckon that Ponting put up the best all round performance
You have to forgive them. It's a small country and they aren't very good at very much. Not being good in cricket anymore is like having their testicles removed with a spanner.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
You have to forgive them. It's a small country and they aren't very good at very much. Not being good in cricket anymore is like having their testicles removed with a spanner.

Oh so true! I remember when I first worked here and Aus were kings of cricket - the same blokes who have today become AFL fanatics were crowing nicely in those days Its so funny to watch how their loyalties change!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:31 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The stereotypical public school toff who ran the old empire and still think they do got us the arrogant tag. Fancy tagging a whole nation from the antics a few. Wouldn't happen here would it?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:07 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
The stereotypical public school toff who ran the old empire and still think they do got us the arrogant tag. Fancy tagging a whole nation from the antics a few. Wouldn't happen here would it?
Bet you a dollar.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:07 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Soooooo funny, I walked into work tonight, there is a loud conversation going on about AFL and what a great sport it is and how it is the biggtest sport in the countr and no point in bothering with anything else I managed to get a word in to ask if anyone had watched the cricket and apparently after the first day no-one bothered at all because "the Aussies are going to win all the other matches, not that it matters cos cricket is an old and boring sport...." Talk about sore losers!!!! I said I thought it was a good match all round but no, they thought it was appalling and the two who did watch reckon that Ponting put up the best all round performance
Yeh, pretty typical of the breed

Just reading that Strauss only declared because Cook and Trott were in danger of out-staying their Visas
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:54 pm
Demi-God

Question is, can England bowl Australia out twice at the Adelaide Oval? I think they need another bowler, and probably an accurate seamer going by the history of the ground. Boring the batsmen into mistakes seems to get most of the wickets. Has there been much rain in Adelaide? Is the pitch going to be different than usual?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Question is, can England bowl Australia out twice at the Adelaide Oval? I think they need another bowler, and probably an accurate seamer going by the history of the ground. Boring the batsmen into mistakes seems to get most of the wickets. Has there been much rain in Adelaide? Is the pitch going to be different than usual?
Yeh, the taking 20 wickets thing is going to be key.

I can't see the team changing though, and to answer the question, there sure can bowl 'em out twice.

Just finished watching day 4 and 5 highlights, I can do some chores with a silly grin on my face now
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:09 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

and to cap Brisbane off rather nicely..the Barmy Army were on the flight to Adelaide with the Aussies...Bet that pissed of Mitch Johnson

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/englandsbarmyarmy

Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:12 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
and to cap Brisbane off rather nicely..the Barmy Army were on the flight to Adelaide with the Aussies...Bet that pissed of Mitch Johnson

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5077481_n.jpg
Jimmy Saville is wearing well.... and he looks taller.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
and to answer the question, there sure can bowl 'em out twice.
I'm not so sure. I am yet to be convinced that England's attack is capable of taking 20 - and this is based on what I have seen so far.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:18 am
Demi-God

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm not so sure. I am yet to be convinced that England's attack is capable of taking 20 - and this is based on what I have seen so far.
Oh they can take 20 wickets all right, just perhaps not in Adelaide. Guess we'll see. If cricket was predictable we wouldn't watch it.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:59 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Oh they can take 20 wickets all right, just perhaps not in Adelaide. Guess we'll see. If cricket was predictable we wouldn't watch it.
It sounds negative but selecting a team with the aim to win at Adelaide is dangerous. If we drop a batsman for a bowler and we suffer a silly batting collapse then the game is over. Adelaide tactics should be counter attacking. The Aussies will pick an aggressive 11 which could leave them exposed if their middle order fail again. Let them take all the risks I say and we can sit and counter punch. Getting anything more than a draw out of Adelaide is difficult enough when you have a great attack. Perth, Melbourne and Sydney will produce results and they are where the Ashes will be won. I predicted a few weeks ago that the first two tests would be drawn
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:08 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5077481_n.jpg
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Jimmy Saville is wearing well.... and he looks taller.
So what did he fix for Ponting? Suggestions, please.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:09 am
Mostly Harmless

Johnson bought a ticket? Seems like a waste of money.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Ah but you wouldn't have thought the Aussie attack was so toothless that they'd only take 1 English wicket in the second innings in Brisbane, but they were.

I heard the first test being described as a 'drab draw' the other day ... these people don't have a clue ...
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:58 am
Demi-God

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
It sounds negative but selecting a team with the aim to win at Adelaide is dangerous. If we drop a batsman for a bowler and we suffer a silly batting collapse then the game is over. Adelaide tactics should be counter attacking. The Aussies will pick an aggressive 11 which could leave them exposed if their middle order fail again. Let them take all the risks I say and we can sit and counter punch. Getting anything more than a draw out of Adelaide is difficult enough when you have a great attack.
If you need the opposition to make mistakes you need a bowling attack that can create pressure. So bowling tight and waiting for mistakes is an aggressive tactic. After all, most wickets in cricket come from batsmen making mistakes, magic deliveries are pretty rare. I don't expect England to change the team simply because England have never done so in recent memory on the back of a win. If they feel Broad can do the all rounder job on a flat pitch, though, I'd think about dropping Colly and bringing in another bowler (ideally Panesar, which would get us a different bowling style and a load more overs in the time). Big call though, and they won't do it. It would be tough on Collingwood.

Perth, Melbourne and Sydney will produce results and they are where the Ashes will be won. I predicted a few weeks ago that the first two tests would be drawn
Your prediction is noted. We shall wait and see.

My prediction is that it will be a drawn series, so we are both still on the money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.