Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2010 Ashes series?
Australia
23.68%
England
67.11%
Series Drawn (England retain the ashes)
9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:15 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Oh yeh, I'd forgotten about that.

Damn, Punter has finally sussed the game ... "The bottom line is we've got to find 20 wickets in the game and we've got to pick the bowlers who we think are best equipped, skill-based wise and physically, to get that job done."
When they had Warne and McGrath they didn't have to think about it. Ricky has just realised that you can make as many runs as you want, it won't win you a test match. As England rather neatly proved in the 1st test.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:45 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

bowling largely toothless and fielding woeful at times, not good for morale. Swann looked very ordinary.
Duncan Fletcher's take on Swanny:

Graeme Swann also struggled a bit. I think this was because the Kookaburra ball does not drift in the air as much as the Duke, which Swann uses in England. That drift is a vital part of Swann's armoury. He uses it to confuse batsmen into putting their foot down the wrong line. To a right-handed batsman the drift will open up his gate, and to a left-hander it makes him vulnerable to the lbw because his pad gets in the way of his bat as he tries to play the ball. The encouraging thing for Swann was that, even though he was getting hit for boundaries, he never tried to fire the ball in flat. He kept giving it flight and trying to beat the batsman. It was a brave way to bowl and it showed how much confidence he has.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:17 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

A picture paints a thousand wides...sorry words

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ge/490038.html
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:08 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Just read this on Jonathan Agnew's twitter feed:
"Evening with the Boycotts rowing over who has the most points in their family golf tournament. Pleased to announce Mrs leads. Sir G bottom!!"

I responded with:
"Are you saying Sir G's wife is beating him?"

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Dec 1st 2010 at 10:27 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Rain puts result in doubt for Adelaide Ashes Test
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

No shortage of Eng supporters according to the poll results so far. 2nd test may tell.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:39 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Duncan Fletcher's take on Swanny:

Graeme Swann also struggled a bit. I think this was because the Kookaburra ball does not drift in the air as much as the Duke, which Swann uses in England. That drift is a vital part of Swann's armoury. He uses it to confuse batsmen into putting their foot down the wrong line. To a right-handed batsman the drift will open up his gate, and to a left-hander it makes him vulnerable to the lbw because his pad gets in the way of his bat as he tries to play the ball. The encouraging thing for Swann was that, even though he was getting hit for boundaries, he never tried to fire the ball in flat. He kept giving it flight and trying to beat the batsman. It was a brave way to bowl and it showed how much confidence he has.
Drift ... in the air ... ball?!

Look, I'm sorry but having played a bit of cricket I can say that Duke vs Kookaburra vs Rock would have had no effect on the 'drift in the air'

This is just smokescreen ... A better explanation would be 'the pitch suited ALL batsmen after day 3, let's see in Adelaide'

I agree giving it some flight instead of flattening is a good sign. Attack is the best form of defence and all that
Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:58 pm

Drift ... in the air ... ball?!

No drift.....hence Doug's rug stays on

CATV just sent me an email entitled Q&A with Bollinger and Harris. So Hilf is out tomorrow too then?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

No drift.....hence Doug's rug stays on

CATV just sent me an email entitled Q&A with Bollinger and Harris. So Hilf is out tomorrow too then?
Yeh, I get them too, should really set up a rule to auto-delete them

Can't see Harris playing meself but who knows what madness is afoot?!

I read that Punter has been over-ruled on the Johnson decision so there must be friction amongst the natives

I picked a fine time to be between jobs and a house-husband I know that!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:18 pm

I read that Punter has been over-ruled on the Johnson decision so there must be friction amongst the natives

I picked a fine time to be between jobs and a house-husband I know that!
They just posted a vid on Fb in which Johnson talks in press conf about 'taking the positives out of it' - er...of being dropped?

I cocked up job wise - going to miss first two seshes of Day One & Day Four - am only a part-time house husband, must work on that...
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:31 pm
Mostly Harmless

They just posted a vid on Fb in which Johnson talks in press conf about 'taking the positives out of it' - er...of being dropped?

I cocked up job wise - going to miss first two seshes of Day One & Day Four - am only a part-time house husband, must work on that...
Yeh, typical sportsman-speak, dull scripted stuff ... good luck with that work/life balance
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:50 pm

good luck with that work/life balance

Oh I've always found the balance, married my boss from the office and I work freelance while she does full-time Japanese workweek. Hope you're left to watch the Ashes in peace at home. The new job can wait. Crimbo's coming up anyway.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:21 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Can't quite believe how few think a drawn series is the most likely outcome.
Me thinks more voting with heart than head (which is fine).
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:38 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Can't quite believe how few think a drawn series is the most likely outcome.
Me thinks more voting with heart than head (which is fine).
I'm one of those six. England winning is too hard. Australia winning is too hard. What's left?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:54 am
Mostly Harmless

Oh I've always found the balance, married my boss from the office and I work freelance while she does full-time Japanese workweek. Hope you're left to watch the Ashes in peace at home. The new job can wait. Crimbo's coming up anyway.
Precisely, I'll be off until the end of January at least, school holidays are coming up

So, the money seems to be on a draw in Adelaide ... I dunno ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.