Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else NOT have a mobile phone?

Anyone else NOT have a mobile phone?

Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else NOT have a mobile phone?

I have an old clamshell one that used to be my husband's. I rarely turn it on - it is for emergencies only. People are puzzled that I don't get the messages they send me, despite me having told them that they should call my home phone and/or leave a message. I don't do facebook either.
I don't want to be accessible 24/7. The school have my home phone, my work number and OH's phone numbers should they need to call. I don't put my mobile number onto any surveys, competitions or documents, as that only encourages spam, and why should I pay for someone to send me messages?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
They can always contact HIM at work, and I cant leave work, leave pts at risk and staffing at dangerous levels.... It takes time for me to organise leaving work even in an emergency.... HE can drop it and run and get anywhere quicker...... I'm always last to know anything....
We have lots of nurses at our school and it is difficult to get hold of them, understandably and I totally see your situation is different to mine. I can drop everything and go but if we didn't have mobile phones imagine if I was out shopping for a few hours. My child could be dead by the time the school got hold of me. I know that is worst case scenario but not one I am prepared to gamble for the sake of having a mobile phone.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
Forgot to add the extortionate cost of them and most importantly when you DO bloody need 'em like on March 11 here for the mega quake they failed us all miserably

Facebook via PC did us proud then, mind...
Mine cost $29 and i buy a $50 12 month credit prepaid... Usually sees me through a year .....
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Mine cost $29 and i buy a $50 12 month credit prepaid... Usually sees me through a year .....
Here the brainwashed citizens are sucked into ongoing monthly deals, love their keitai mails they do.

Gives them even more reason to avoid 'normal' communication.....
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Here the brainwashed citizens are sucked into ongoing monthly deals, love their keitai mails they do.

Gives them even more reason to avoid 'normal' communication.....
My txts are 10 cts each or free provider to provider..... A fantastic deal...

Now I have to learn how to do them
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
We have lots of nurses at our school and it is difficult to get hold of them, understandably and I totally see your situation is different to mine. I can drop everything and go but if we didn't have mobile phones imagine if I was out shopping for a few hours. My child could be dead by the time the school got hold of me. I know that is worst case scenario but not one I am prepared to gamble for the sake of having a mobile phone.
Strange though isn't it. We didn't even have a landline at home when I was a kid, I don't remember dying before a parent was contacted.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:49 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Strange though isn't it. We didn't even have a landline at home when I was a kid, I don't remember dying before a parent was contacted.
I know, I am being dramatic
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

My txts are 10 cts each or free provider to provider..... A fantastic deal...

Now I have to learn how to do them

Practice with some abusive ones to the MIL is she tech literate? You may reach the stage next month where face to face dialogue is best avoided.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Practice with some abusive ones to the MIL is she tech literate? You may reach the stage next month where face to face dialogue is best avoided.

But how do I know if she recieves them... Is there a " read" option that tells you she did...

Come to think of it... I dont believe she actually has one....

Maybe I could get her one for christmas, then I can send abusive txts...
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

But how do I know if she recieves them... Is there a " read" option that tells you she did...

Come to think of it... I dont believe she actually has one....

Maybe I could get her one for christmas, then I can send abusive txts...
Perfek - that's her crimbo pressie sorted and you can practice on IT with the texts & emoticons before handing it to her in t' airport on Dec 24(is it?). Far easier to tell family what you really think of them in electronic form - believe you me I've been there
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a very basic bottom of the rung nokia mobile that can basically telephone people and receive calls.

I have never had a iphone thingymebob or any kind of phone where by I can access the net, I don't have an ipad.

I am in my early 30's so might be unusual that I don't have one of these iphones. But I have no desire to spend extra time on the net during the day when I am out and about and I have no desire to let the world have a minute by minute running update on my life.

I catch up with family and friends often enough and seem to get by. As someone else mentioned above, I have no wish to be in contact 24/7.

Last edited by Jon77; Nov 11th 2011 at 10:25 pm.