Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else NOT have a mobile phone?

Anyone else NOT have a mobile phone?

Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:33 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone else NOT have a mobile phone?

Or am I the only dinosaur left?

Going on the fax machine thingy....I do everything I can by email and on-line form filling.

Lots of forms ask for a mobile number and if you don't fill it in, you can't submit the form. (Some will if you put * or a few "0")

grrrrr

When I am out of the office or just out full stop I DON'T want to deal with phone calls. (And the coverage is crap here anyway apparantly.)

And why do I have to pay more to call a mobile from my landline??? Some people don't have a landline any more so you have to call the mobile. Bloody cheek.

Anyone else not got a mobile phone?

Rant over.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else NOT have a mobile phone?

I didnt have one in service for a couple of years... Apparntly they reclaimed my number in 2009 because I hadnt used it.....

Brought one a few months ago SOLELY for work purposes, had to be contactable 24/7...... Since resigned so will be ineterested to see how much I use it ..... Finished up on monday... Its flat already.... And I cant be bothered to recharge it....

Had HUGE problems finding a phone that JUST made phone calls... Clam shell design so I cant accidentally pocket dial, no camera, no tinternet, nothing extra.... Just the phone calls....

I loathe them with a passion.....
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:43 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
I didnt have one in service for a couple of years... Apparntly they reclaimed my number in 2009 because I hadnt used it.....

Brought one a few months ago SOLELY for work purposes, had to be contactable 24/7...... Since resigned so will be ineterested to see how much I use it ..... Finished up on monday... Its flat already.... And I cant be bothered to recharge it....

Had HUGE problems finding a phone that JUST made phone calls... Clam shell design so I cant accidentally pocket dial, no camera, no tinternet, nothing extra.... Just the phone calls....

I loathe them with a passion.....
Quite. Something with numbers 0 - 9 and NOTHING else and big enough to read might be almost acceptable.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No mobile phone don't think I like that idea.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I had one years ago when they first came out, the old bricks. Until I worked out though that it was causing me more grief than benefit. "Can you get some milk on the way home' Or "Can you pick up the kids" etc etc. So I generously donated my account to my 3rd oldest child.... for the sake of family finances you understand... Cant really afford 3 mobile accounts in the one household.

Now when I'm out and about I know I'm not going to be bothered with issues from home.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Quite. Something with numbers 0 - 9 and NOTHING else and big enough to read might be almost acceptable.
I only have four different numbers in my number and three of them are 666 together....

Kevin says its very apt, tho I cant imagine why
Old Nov 11th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Hate them - no privacy from work etc. Plus some people instead of using as a back-up use them as an excuse to change meet-up plans willy nilly half way through.

Not to mention dodgy reception when you're underground.

So the missus usually keeps hold of both of ours......
Old Nov 11th 2011, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
Hate them - no privacy from work etc. Plus some people instead of using as a back-up use them as an excuse to change meet-up plans willy nilly half way through.

Not to mention dodgy reception when you're underground.

So the missus usually keeps hold of both of ours......
Remember the old days - meet you under the clocks..etc...

if you didn't you couldn't...

and people just missed each other.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Remember the old days - meet you under the clocks..etc...

if you didn't you couldn't...

and people just missed each other.
We used to meet at " the Electric House."

Kids nowadays have no romance left in their lives..... That hopeful waiting, not really knowing if a " date" was going to turn up and not knowing if you'd recognise them a second time.... Nowadays they get a running commentary... I'm getting on the bus, I'm on the bus, the bus is pulling up, I'm getting off the bus...."
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

We used to meet at " the Electric House."

Kids nowadays have no romance left in their lives..... That hopeful waiting, not really knowing if a " date" was going to turn up and not knowing if you'd recognise them a second time.... Nowadays they get a running commentary... I'm getting on the bus, I'm on the bus, the bus is pulling up, I'm getting off the bus...."
Hmmm....see what you mean! It does have it's advantages:

little SMSs after the date(s) affording little whimsical exchanges...

another opportunity to flirt... in the interests of public decency I won't give any example.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hmmm....see what you mean! It does have it's advantages:

little SMSs after the date(s) affording little whimsical exchanges...

another opportunity to flirt... in the interests of public decency I won't give any example.
No absense making the heart grow fonder.... No sus

Pense..... No friends dragging the details out of you at school on monday.... Its all on facebook within minutes usually with pictures.....

Not too sure I like todays instant, just add water society...
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:12 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I have one and can't imagine living without one. If you don't have kids in school I can imagine it would be OK but I have 2 kids at school and need the school to be able to reach me wherever I am in case of emergency.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No absense making the heart grow fonder.... No susPense..... No friends dragging the details out of you at school on monday.... Its all on facebook within minutes usually with pictures.....

Not too sure I like todays instant, just add water society...
I don't mind technology, but I confess to not liking aspects of modern society and facebook etc - the just add water.

I'm a bit old fashioned, old school in many ways - there's lots of things the blokes will talk about and do at work - and I just say nothing...

Still, no complaints from the ladies so I just do my own thing.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by northernbird
I have one and can't imagine living without one. If you don't have kids in school I can imagine it would be OK but I have 2 kids at school and need the school to be able to reach me wherever I am in case of emergency.
They can always contact HIM at work, and I cant leave work, leave pts at risk and staffing at dangerous levels.... It takes time for me to organise leaving work even in an emergency.... HE can drop it and run and get anywhere quicker...... I'm always last to know anything....
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Forgot to add the extortionate cost of them and most importantly when you DO bloody need 'em like on March 11 here for the mega quake they failed us all miserably

Facebook via PC did us proud then, mind...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.