Equality?

Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:14 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Equality?

Two jobs currently being advertised in Cairns:

Apprentice Fitter & Turner (Identified Position - Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander People)

Trainee Administration Officer - 12 Month Term (Identified Position - Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander People)

Is this racist?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equality?

Positive discrimination....

Not too sure I agree with it... You can't level an uneven playing field without doing a heck of a lot of ground work and preparation with heavy machinary...

Feels patronising, like the old school tie in Reverse... Best applicant for the post should be the rule....
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:24 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Apprentice Fitter & Turner (Identified Position - Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander People)

Trainee Administration Officer - 12 Month Term (Identified Position - Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander People)

Is this racist?
It's positive discrimination. When I did my brief stint in Indigenous rights we used to get the odd trainee secretary from Arukun, Hope Vale or Coen (our communities). Invariably they were about 18, sullen and never stopped testing/facebooking (maybe even BEing). We sacked white receptionists to open the jobs up if there was a candidate. Their arrival would be celebrated with cakes, fizzy drinks etc

Bit of an odd phenomenon but as a race they've had a raw deal and need supporting into the work force.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
It's positive discrimination. When I did my brief stint in Indigenous rights we used to get the odd trainee secretary from Arukun, Hope Vale or Coen (our communities). Invariably they were about 18, sullen and never stopped testing/facebooking (maybe even BEing). We sacked white receptionists to open the jobs up if there was a candidate. Their arrival would be celebrated with cakes, fizzy drinks etc

Bit of an odd phenomenon but as a race they've had a raw deal and need supporting into the work force.
Cant believ you sacked receptionists to make way for... That truely shocks me... Positive discrimination to fill a vacant position is ONE thing... But christ, no wonder you get racial tensions in communities where people loose their jobs coz of the colour of their skin or their "ethnicity" is wrong.. Whichever way that goes.....
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

But you could argue that this type of drastic measure is a product of the decades of inequalitative treatment. Now we are overcompensating for it. It will obviously be disguised as a measure to integrate the indiginous people more into everyday jobs, but the reality is that it is likely to be more led by politics and guilt.

Either way, is it such a bad thing that they are now being given an advantage after the people they are now replacing were given decades of preferential treatment which has got them to this point?

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix

Is this racist?
Tricky one isn't it.Personally I can live with it.I had a mate who used to get abstudy which was at a higher rate than the austudy that I was receiving.
She always seemed a bit embarrassed about it.
Things like this seem to drive a wedge and can cause unnecessary and avoidable resentment.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by eddie007
Cant believ you sacked receptionists to make way for... That truely shocks me... Positive discrimination to fill a vacant position is ONE thing... But christ, no wonder you get racial tensions in communities where people loose their jobs coz of the colour of their skin or their "ethnicity" is wrong.. Whichever way that goes.....
Sorry, not you personally... As an organisation....
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:44 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
But you could argue that this type of drastic measure is a product of the decades of inequalitative treatment. Now we are overcompensating for it. It will obviously be disguised as a measure to integrate the indiginous people more into everyday jobs, but the reality is that it is likely to be more led by politics and guilt.

Either way, is it such a bad thing that they are now being given an advantage after the people they are now replacing were given decades of preferential treatment which has got them to this point?
I really don't know which way I swing. Obviously sacking white staff is ridiculously bad but pretty much every aspect of human resources was - there was a great deal of anti-white racism. First time I've experienced it!

It could often be so difficult to get anyone from these very dysfunctional communities into gainful employment it was considered a great achievement. That way positive role models are gradually developed who, when they return home, re-establish social norms - at least that's the theory. It's a uphill struggle. There was a case of 10 twenty something blokes from Coen who were cajoled into abattoir work in SA somewhere for 10 weeks - accommodation, meals and transport provided. 8 had gone AWOL by week 2...
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:53 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Would a Christian be sacked in Germany to make way for someone with Jewish beliefs? The Jews had a pretty raw deal.

Is it not time to move on? I fear for the future until the indigenous people let go of the past - it is like an anchor.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:55 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't know which way I swing. Obviously sacking white staff is ridiculously bad but pretty much every aspect of human resources was - there was a great deal of anti-white racism. First time I've experienced it!
Yes, to be clear, that I do not agree with.

It could often be so difficult to get anyone from these very dysfunctional communities into gainful employment it was considered a great achievement. That way positive role models are gradually developed who, when they return home, re-establish social norms - at least that's the theory.
That makes great sense, but as you say in theory
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:58 pm

I hear it so often - what exactly is 'reverse racism' ? Surely racism is racism, regardless of who the protagonist and victims are?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:58 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by sheene
Would a Christian be sacked in Germany to make way for someone with Jewish beliefs? The Jews had a pretty raw deal.

Is it not time to move on? I fear for the future until the indigenous people let go of the past - it is like an anchor.
But meanwhile in everyday life they are often treated as second class citizens.

Therefore how can they possibly let go of the past if it is still happening in the present?

The aboriginal treatment issue is by no means over. Just because K Rudd said "sorry" doesn't mean anything has actually changed. What has actually improved for the aboriginal people since that day 4 years ago?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
But meanwhile in everyday life they are often treated as second class citizens.

Therefore how can they possibly let go of the past if it is still happening in the present?

The aboriginal treatment issue is by no means over. Just because K Rudd said "sorry" doesn't mean anything has actually changed. What has actually improved for the aboriginal people since that day 4 years ago?
Having lived and worked with the indigenous people, I just didn't see the inequality, but you certainly heard about it.

I think there might be more sympathy if there was more balance. Let's see more news stories about indigenous people helping the poorer white kids?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by sheene
Having lived and worked with the indigenous people, I just didn't see the inequality, but you certainly heard about it.

I think there might be more sympathy if there was more balance. Let's see more news stories about indigenous people helping the poorer white kids?
I imagine the job adverts posted by Bix are Cairns based. It has a high Indigenous population (literally and numerically) and is the hub for employment for the Cape York communities. There is a massive amount of inequality in every aspect of life outcomes.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:25 pm

I imagine the job adverts posted by Bix are Cairns based. It has a high Indigenous population (literally and numerically) and is the hub for employment for the Cape York communities. There is a massive amount of inequality in every aspect of life outcomes.
But that is not simply down to race. Poor people tend to have less chances, as do those with medical problems, mental issues, low IQ, those who make wrong 'choices' - the list is endless. The world is not flat, it is a very uneven playing field. Wherever we are placed in the spectrum ,there are always people who are worse off, and those who are better off. If we all spent our time looking over our shoulders at others, we would never achieve anything. Before working with the indigenous people I had empathy, and now I am left with sympathy. Empathy is the healthy option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.