Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Old May 10th 2007, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Originally Posted by glittababe
bad enough leaving them with a babysitter! Mark still worries about leaving our 11 and 12 yr old when we go shopping. Its a fairly new concept for us, having spent years dragging along whining children, watching them fight in the supermarket whilst other people tutted at us! We have safeguards in place, neighbours, mobile phones, do not answer the door, don't use anything electrical and no going into the kitchen! Think they'd have more fun shopping!
I'm just dreading it when the kids get to the age when they want to go to the shops with their mates or play out, I know you have to let go at some point but I really don't think I'll be able to relax. At what age do you let them out on their own?
Old May 10th 2007, 1:58 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
I'm just dreading it when the kids get to the age when they want to go to the shops with their mates or play out, I know you have to let go at some point but I really don't think I'll be able to relax. At what age do you let them out on their own?
When they get to Frasers age.
Old May 10th 2007, 2:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When we were in the UK I let our eldest out to walk to the local shops on her own or with a friend at 11, a few months before moving on to Secondary school. BUT we were only about a 10 min walk to the shops and most people who lived along the route knew my daughter.

When she was about 12+ we allowed her to cycle with friends up to the town centre and she was walking to and from school. We now live about 5km from her school and strangely enough she doesn't want to walk it
Old May 10th 2007, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Out with friends before dark then I'd say 9 or 10. When we lived in the UK in a small village, my son and his mates (about a group of 7) used to go out on their bikes and would be gone for hours! Used to worry all of us parents involved. We ended starting a calling chain! They had to tell us where they were going (tiny village, only one park so not difficult), one of them had to have a mobile phone, home before teatime (4pm) and when one of us parents spotted them we'd call the rest of the parents to let them know they were safe. It also helped that Mark was the village bobby so he's do driveby's where the kids were and report back to us! Cameron said he felt suffocated but he was only 10, so what else could we do?

Here they don't tend to go out with their mates much as they have a lot of after school stuff in Noosa, which means I go with them (taxi service)!
Old May 10th 2007, 2:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Don't you think that's a bit young
Old May 10th 2007, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Would you let Fraser out after dark? Or let him stay at home alone?
Old May 10th 2007, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

bad enough leaving them with a babysitter! Mark still worries about leaving our 11 and 12 yr old when we go shopping. Its a fairly new concept for us, having spent years dragging along whining children, watching them fight in the supermarket whilst other people tutted at us! We have safeguards in place, neighbours, mobile phones, do not answer the door, don't use anything electrical and no going into the kitchen! Think they'd have more fun shopping!
Is it only me that thinks that the paeds are getting a soft deal here. They are the bloody criminals!! Yes the parents were stupid as I have said before and agree with some of the comments posted. Doesn't anyone think that they are absolutely devastated already without the blame of this awful tragedy being heaped solely on their heads. They will never forgive themselves.
The real criminal(s) is the person who took her. Hasn't anyone who has posted made a bad judgement call with regards to their own kids? I know I have but thank god I didn't reap such dreadful consequences. 'Let he who is without sin etc..............
(oKay, I'm ducking now before the bombardment)!

Lou
Old May 10th 2007, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise M
Is it only me that thinks that the paeds are getting a soft deal here. They are the bloody criminals!! Yes the parents were stupid as I have said before and agree with some of the comments posted. Doesn't anyone think that they are absolutely devastated already without the blame of this awful tragedy being heaped solely on their heads. They will never forgive themselves.
The real criminal(s) is the person who took her. Hasn't anyone who has posted made a bad judgement call with regards to their own kids? I know I have but thank god I didn't reap such dreadful consequences. 'Let he who is without sin etc..............
(oKay, I'm ducking now before the bombardment)!

Lou
Yes it is the criminals fault but parents have to realise that the world we live in isn't a very nice place and there are plenty of sickos preying on children all the time. Its up to the parents to understand this and make sure that their children are safe so these sickos can't gain access to them.
Old May 10th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Old May 10th 2007, 3:36 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You'll know.... you just do. It's so hard to imagine ahead but there will come a day when suddenly you realise that they will be leaving you soon and that they have to learn to be independent.
Old May 10th 2007, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Having had 3 children under 5 yrs, we used to go out armed with a double buggy and a pram! It was too much hassel to fit into restaurants so we used to either take a picnic or grab some fish and chips. Fond memories actually, wouldn't have it any other way

I was thinking the same, years of going out with a buggy/stroller, blankies, bottles, carrying someone too tired to walk..... funny thing is they are such lovely memories would do it all again in an instant

I got a bit annoyed at the BIL ( i think it was ) saying leaving them in that hotel was no different to any parent putting their kids to bed and leaving the room
Old May 10th 2007, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's the sort of stupidity that could be regarded as aiding and abetting for gods sake - you don't give the evil gits opportunity like that:curse:

Only if you haven't got a clue what the term actually means.

My point is that we are all vulnerable to these evil acts, and some people here seem to think that "good parenting" will ensure kids are completely safe.
Old May 10th 2007, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wren
some people here seem to think that "good parenting" will ensure kids are completely safe.

I don't think it makes them completely safe but in this case it speaks for itself. If they hadn't of left her she wouldn't have been taken from the room, simple.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

You must all be extremely blessed parents There is no way my near two year old would sit happily in his buggy at a restaurant, esp when he is tired. A shopping trip with him now is a horror I would rather avoid.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KatieStar
You must all be extremely blessed parents There is no way my near two year old would sit happily in his buggy at a restaurant, esp when he is tired. A shopping trip with him now is a horror I would rather avoid.

Mine certainly don't. There's normally tantrums, trying to climb out of the highchair, a bit of screaming and playing with knives and forks and then me and Fraser yelling at them, all the joys of being a parent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.