Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Old May 11th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice
Default Re: Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

When my children are in bed they are behind locked doors and windows, and when you were a kid was probably quite a few years ago, unfortunatley this world has gone mad since then and all im saying is that in the world today you have to be alot more vigilent and take no risks when it come to children, i dont want to argue over this but parents are entiitled to there own opinion, we all have diferent opinions, and i think theres alot of us out there that have never left the kids alone whilst on holday just as there are parents that have. im just one of those parent that wouldnt comprehend such a thing.
Old May 11th 2007, 7:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
A foreign apartment in a foreign country with a much lower crime rate than the UK. The fact that it the country is "foriegn" is irelevant-there are a number of "foreign" countries where crime against children is rarely ever heard of.
Perhaps we should consider the snooty British attitude that doesnt like kids at the restuarant table when considering this case.
You are really talking kak today.
Old May 11th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this true

Someone told me that a lot of criminals have come from the UK to Australia.....I think it was my history teacher.

Bless...
Old May 11th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_...264158,00.html

Now there's a picture of her in an Everton FC shirt. All echos of Holly and Jessica. So terribly sad. I just hope that whatever has happened, no-one has hurt her.

I have three children under 4 years old and it really doesn't bear thinking about. My Mum used to leave me napping at home when I was baby and went off to coffee mornings in the same road I still can't get my head round that one (oh and she's 'educated' )
Old May 11th 2007, 7:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevenChez
If Denise Bulger hadn't let go of James hand. If Holly and Jessicas parents hadn't let them play out. The list could go on. Yes I know there is a higher degree of irresponsibility on the parents, as I've said I'm not condoning it, but it does appear that these people were determined and had targeted Maddy. Parents on holiday with friends, 2 toddlers to mind + a 3 year old, plenty of distractions, the sicko(s) must have been biding their time. Plus a person(s) had been seen tampering with the shutters on other apartments, so what's to say they wouldn't have taken her whilst the parents slept.

What I'm really trying to get across is that we can all tut and shake our heads, but shouldn't we rather be outraged at the lack of action from the police and be calling for the EU to regulate how abductions are handled.

Shouldn't we be outraged that we have these sicko's in our society who are allowed to live freely and be calling for our childrens right to safety.

I'm in no way saying that what has been said on here is wrong, just trying to change the focus.

Cheryl
I'm sorry but the basic fact that a child can be abducted in a split second is the biggest reason that you don't leave your three babies locked in an apartment whilst you swan out with your mates for a meal (allegedly every night of the holiday).

Lack of action by the police? says who? Please don't assume that what the papers say is fact, what the police do is their job, they don't feel the need to publicise every move.

I would be interested to know quite how any country is supposed to regulate abductions Also perhaps you could tell me how we are supposed to know who the "sickos" are so we can keep them locked up. I would assume they would have to do something sick first. Whatever your feelings on the case, the parents have stuffed up parenting big time and very sadly the child has gone. They will never forgive themselves and neither will the general public. It makes no difference how many "there but for the grace of god" stories there are, their lives have gone pair shaped and you can't absolve the parents from the blame.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:22 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
You are really talking kak today.
Look, I never suggested the parents get a good parenting award for what they did-and you don't know what kind of wonderful life they might have given their girl-save this error.
I also mentioned that I myself consciously never left my kids in hotel rooms on their own while in another part of the hotel.
I just don't think the parents are the ones primarily at fault.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

"Allegedly" they didn't get a sitter because they didn't trust strangers because in the UK they always use their fab nanny. They live in a different world to me
Old May 11th 2007, 8:31 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Look, I never suggested the parents get a good parenting award for what they did-and you don't know what kind of wonderful life they might have given their girl-save this error.
I also mentioned that I myself consciously never left my kids in hotel rooms on their own while in another part of the hotel.
I just don't think the parents are the ones primarily at fault.
I disagree. The abductor would have been watching and waiting for an opportunity to snatch the poor little mite. The parents must have done this before. When will people start to realise just how precious their children are?
I was at work a mere two days after this was all over the news and there was a little 3 year old girl running around outside on her own while her parents were inside! I was sat in the car for 20 minutes and if I had been a paedphille it would have been so easy to pick her up and take her away.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:47 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
I disagree. The abductor would have been watching and waiting for an opportunity to snatch the poor little mite. The parents must have done this before. When will people start to realise just how precious their children are?
I was at work a mere two days after this was all over the news and there was a little 3 year old girl running around outside on her own while her parents were inside! I was sat in the car for 20 minutes and if I had been a paedphille it would have been so easy to pick her up and take her away.
I agree, it actually said this wasnt a one off they had done this before its really silly, i panic if i go shopping and loose sight of my 4 yearold for a minute i could never enjoy a meal knowing my kids were on there own its nuts!!!
Old May 11th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Hi Folks,

Some interesting things to think about, eh?

This story raises the spectre of worry that must haunt all parents from time to time. It also raises questions about the actions of the police and the media, and the fear of crime.

Are the parents to blame? How often do parents believe that they have taken an acceptable risk by leaving their children alone? I guess every parent (to some degree or another) has taken a calculated risk. Perhaps leaving children asleep, locked indoors was felt to be enough? Maybe it's not for me to say. I like to think I might have done something different - or would I?
How often do we suppose that a moments inattention comes to nothing. But what do we feel when letting go of a child's hand, or being distracted for a moment only to find that an innocent and trusting child has gone missing?

Some years ago, whilst serving as a police officer, I was in charge of a search for a 3-year old boy who had gone missing whilst with his father and 10-year old sister.
All three had been on a boat when the father had agreed that the two children could walk the 50 metres to a local sweet shop. The father had ensured they were safely off the boat and continued to work on board. He was only alerted to the absence of the boy when his daughter said that she couldn't find her brother.
I became involved and an extensive search took place. There was huge local support - many members of the public were involved (it was a Bank Holiday) without us finding the boy.
In the meantime, we had to consider the possibility (however unlikely) that the child had fallen into the water. Eventually, the boy was found dead - under the boat. This was a desperately sad case.
Subsequently it was determined that he had most likely slipped between the boat and the mooring while his sister was not looking and while his father had believed them to be safely on shore.
Needless to say, the father was extremely upset and blamed himself. However, did he reasonably do all that he thought was necessary? After all, the boy and his sister were familiar with the location and had vistied the shop many times before.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we all take risks, but I am not trying to condone negligence. We all make judgements that are felt to be 'reasonable' at the time and have to live with the consequences.

So what about the media and the fear of crime? Let's not forget that much of what we 'know' is often filtered, restricted by law and presented to suit the particular agenda of some sections of the media. That's not to say this isn't an horrific situation for the child and the parents but we do need to understand that we cannot possibly know all the facts.

Let's also not be carried away on a tide of moral panic about "weirdos" and "perverts". The reality is that most child sex offenders (if that is what this case is about) rely on knowing and creating a bond of trust with their victims (recent reports regarding the Church of England are a case in point). This 'grooming' takes place over a long period and, sadly, often takes place within what many regard as 'safe' relationships. The media portrayal of predatory offenders is frequently far from reality and does help sustain the discourse of "it's not safe to let your child out these days".

This is a tragic case. There will be debate and dissection of the police response. There will be a very public critique of the role of the parents. However, the fact that this has attracted so much attention also highlights the relative rarity of the event. The fear of crime is often disproportionately higher than the reality.

Mine is only one view. I know others will will have stronger and contrary views. What I like and support about this forum is the opportunity to air ones views and see them challenged and/or supported.

Over to you....

Simon
Old May 11th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm sorry but the basic fact that a child can be abducted in a split second is the biggest reason that you don't leave your three babies locked in an apartment whilst you swan out with your mates for a meal (allegedly every night of the holiday).

Lack of action by the police? says who? Please don't assume that what the papers say is fact, what the police do is their job, they don't feel the need to publicise every move.

I would be interested to know quite how any country is supposed to regulate abductions Also perhaps you could tell me how we are supposed to know who the "sickos" are so we can keep them locked up. I would assume they would have to do something sick first. Whatever your feelings on the case, the parents have stuffed up parenting big time and very sadly the child has gone. They will never forgive themselves and neither will the general public. It makes no difference how many "there but for the grace of god" stories there are, their lives have gone pair shaped and you can't absolve the parents from the blame.
Is there a smiley for banging your head on the desk? At no point have I condoned what the parents did!!! I've got over it and have moved on...

It took 15 hours to close the border (which is 2 hours away) - Fact confirmed by UK police - do we now not believe them because they said it on the news? I agree that you definitely have to sift through media coverage for the facts, but if you think that a confirmed delay 15 hours is good enough This was first reported by the press, then confirmed by police.

Regulating police proceedures in such instances would be fairly simple I should think. Why can't there be guidelines which state that borders should be closed within a set number of hours of a confirmed abduction, the set procedures should be carried out within certain time frames.

How are we supposed to know who the sicko's are so we can lock them up?? The sex offenders list would be a good start I should think.

This is a highly emotive topic and disparaging others comments isn't why I joined this thread, so I'm outta here.

Cheryl
Old May 11th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simon876
Hi Folks,

This story raises the spectre of worry that must haunt all parents from time to time. It also raises questions about the actions of the police and the media, and the fear of crime.

Are the parents to blame? How often do parents believe that they have taken an acceptable risk by leaving their children alone? I guess every parent (to some degree or another) has taken a calculated risk. Perhaps leaving children asleep, locked indoors was felt to be enough? Maybe it's not for me to say. I like to think I might have done something different - or would I?
How often do we suppose that a moments inattention comes to nothing. But what do we feel when letting go of a child's hand, or being distracted for a moment only to find that an innocent and trusting child has gone missing?

Some years ago, whilst serving as a police officer, I was in charge of a search for a 3-year old boy who had gone missing whilst with his father and 10-year old sister.
All three had been on a boat when the father had agreed that the two children could walk the 50 metres to a local sweet shop. The father had ensured they were safely off the boat and continued to work on board. He was only alerted to the absence of the boy when his daughter said that she couldn't find her brother.
I became involved and an extensive search took place. There was huge local support - many members of the public were involved (it was a Bank Holiday) without us finding the boy.
In the meantime, we had to consider the possibility (however unlikely) that the child had fallen into the water. Eventually, the boy was found dead - under the boat. This was a desperately sad case.
Subsequently it was determined that he had most likely slipped between the boat and the mooring while his sister was not looking and while his father had believed them to be safely on shore.
Needless to say, the father was extremely upset and blamed himself. However, did he reasonably do all that he thought was necessary? After all, the boy and his sister were familiar with the location and had vistied the shop many times before.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we all take risks, but I am not trying to condone negligence. We all make judgements that are felt to be 'reasonable' at the time and have to live with the consequences.

So what about the media and the fear of crime? Let's not forget that much of what we 'know' is often filtered, restricted by law and presented to suit the particular agenda of some sections of the media. That's not to say this isn't an horrific situation for the child and the parents but we do need to understand that we cannot possibly know all the facts.

Let's also not be carried away on a tide of moral panic about "weirdos" and "perverts". The reality is that most child sex offenders (if that is what this case is about) rely on knowing and creating a bond of trust with their victims (recent reports regarding the Church of England are a case in point). This 'grooming' takes place over a long period and, sadly, often takes place within what many regard as 'safe' relationships. The media portrayal of predatory offenders is frequently far from reality and does help sustain the discourse of "it's not safe to let your child out these days".

This is a tragic case. There will be debate and dissection of the police response. There will be a very public critique of the role of the parents. However, the fact that this has attracted so much attention also highlights the relative rarity of the event. The fear of crime is often disproportionately higher than the reality.

Mine is only one view. I know others will will have stronger and contrary views. What I like and support about this forum is the opportunity to air ones views and see them challenged and/or supported.

Over to you....

Simon
I think statistically most toddlers drown whilst in the care of older children/teenagers. That was a tragic occurrence. The family must have been devastated.
I guess it highlights the danger of thinking older children can be more responsible than they really are.
Old May 11th 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

fiona021 will become famous soon enoughfiona021 will become famous soon enough

I think this thread is turning into a witchhunt against the parents. They made a grave error but no way do they deserve the vitriol against them. It's quite obscene. They need support at this time and the pain they are going through is there to see. They will live to regret their actions but they don't need people's holier than thou attitude. I strongly hope that there is a positive ending to their plight.
Old May 11th 2007, 10:41 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiona021
I think this thread is turning into a witchhunt against the parents. They made a grave error but no way do they deserve the vitriol against them. It's quite obscene. They need support at this time and the pain they are going through is there to see. They will live to regret their actions but they don't need people's holier than thou attitude. I strongly hope that there is a positive ending to their plight.
I can hear what you're saying but on the other hand they're responsible for their childs safety and they didn't take that seriously enough. They are without doubt suffering. But I'm afraid the outcome of this is inevitable. Maddie was probably watched for a few days and they probably knew that once they'd checked on her they had 30 minutes to act, so they may be suffering but due to their negligence and not Maddies so has she.
Old May 11th 2007, 11:03 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simon876
Hi Folks,

Over to you....

Simon
Great Post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.