Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Now you've lost me. They call themselves that. Meditteraneans have claimed ownership of the word which used to be an Insult back in the 60/70's..... You Americans think you can dictate to the world

I think you need to look at yourself on this one honestly.
Well, it is the same thing in America and the N word. Some blacks call themselves this, but white people and all the other colors (brown, yellow, purple) can't and rightfully don't use these terms.
For what exactly do we need to look at ourselves?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:28 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BILDER
I find it disgraceful that people can use the term "wog" in public, when referring to someone who is Italian or Greek. This is a disgusting term! At a store in Sydney, we saw "gollywog and other ' nigger ' dolls" for sale!

There are differing versions of how the word "Golliwog" came into existence. One story is when the British soldiers were in Egypt in the 19th century, the Egyptian labourers working for the British Army were required to wear armbands with the letters W.O.G.S. indicating they were Working On Government Service and these labourers were called Ghuls (غول), an Arabic word for ghost, by the British soldiers. Children of the Egyptians played with rag dolls of black stuffed material and the British (soldiers) bought them as gifts and took them back to England with them. The dolls were called Ghuliwogs and this word later became Golliwog.

Another version, with some similarities but one difference is also of the Egyptian labourers wearing the armbands with the letters W.O.G.S. The British soldiers in hilarity began calling them "wogs;" they (the Egyptian labourers) in turn then called the soldiers "Ghuls" and from these two words came the word "ghulwog" which in turn became ghuliwog, golliwog.

Courtesy of Wiki etc.

Nothing to do with black folk, apparently.

You'll find in Australia, folk will call each other 'wogs' and other names.

I wonder how it's acceptable for black people in the US to address each other as 'nigger' but there you go. Swings and roundabouts.
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

I am an American, born to British father and an Aus mother, and every time I visit Australia I get some type of hassle. I was in Sydney at Tetsuyas (if anyone's been, they know it is amazing!). My girlfriend and I were eating and we weren't being obnoxious and loud (as I know many Americans truly are), but we pay and leave, and as we are leaving the party at the table next to us yells at top of his ruddy lungs "F*uck you, you Yank! F*uck off, we're full." I reply in poor French and notify the maitre d', and he says, " there is nothing we can do about that as he is entitled to free speech, and he doesn't seem to have disturbed many patrons"(!) In fact, many people applauded him. It has been a few weeks since this occurrence, but my gf and I are still somewhat traumatized.
I am not sensitive, in fact we are quite thick skinned but that was beyond rude!
I don't mean to paint all Australians with the same brush, but I do find anti-American sentiment quite pervasive. Any country that still uses racial epiphets in common day speech is truly a little backward. It is a pity because Australia is probably the most beautiful country in the world.
I wouldn't worry about perceived 'anti- American' sentiment in NSW mate.

It's probably down to the fact that are so 'anti-American' we have a 'sherman' as premier and she may have altered peoples perception of the species
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

It's the Australians that make Australia backwards in this regard
Opinions vary, I consider not having a decent public healthcare system and allowing a significant number of your population to live below the poverty line to be backward, that's just off the top of my head, I haven't even started to make a list.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:32 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by freebo
Opinions vary, I consider not having a decent public healthcare system and allowing a significant number of your population to live below the poverty line to be backward, that's just off the top of my head, I haven't even started to make a list.
And perhaps having the interesting record of the highest amount of black, learning disabled kids killed by the death penalty in history...
Hardly a shining of example of being a 'forward thinking' nation.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Look and Learn Sunshine....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2GYIcprD70

Posted from Wogcentral Melbourne.... the very diverse and very Meditteranean area of the Northern Subs.

Seriously do not knock things you clearly have no understanding of. 30 years I've been here and the term disgusted me at first... then I became educated by the majority Meditteranean people I live amongst.

Ironcally you have given a example in your reasoning as to why Australians have insulted you.

We dont like being dictated too... unlike the poodle Poms.
Remember, I am (kind of) Australian too! It is not an American issue, it should be a universal issue, equality and respect is vitally important. America should not have to educate other countries when it comes to this! I doubt America does btw. Probably Wog is accepted by the target community, but I do know that Aborigines detest the N word. If an American store did sell items labeled like that, I guarantee you it would make national news by breakfast the next day.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
And perhaps having the interesting record of the highest amount of black, learning disabled kids killed by the death penalty in history...
At least they don't call them the 'N word', that would be truly shocking.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:34 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Posted from Wogcentral Melbourne.... the very diverse and very Meditteranean area of the Northern Subs.

Seriously do not knock things you clearly have no understanding of. 30 years I've been here and the term disgusted me at first... then I became educated by the majority Meditteranean people I live amongst.

Ironcally you have given a example in your reasoning as to why Australians have insulted you.

oh, so who was it exactly that join them in the Vietnam war?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
oh, so who was it exactly that join them in the Vietnam war?
....and the Gulf etc.etc.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and the Gulf etc.etc.
Both UK and Aus govts are equally guilty of blindly following the US lead in their military adventures, to the great detriment of those serving for both countries.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Both UK and Aus govts are equally guilty of blindly following the US lead in their military adventures, to the great detriment of those serving for both countries.
Indeed.....except the UK refused in Vietnam
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
There is no excuse for their shocking behaviour, but was it a drinking establishment?

and remember the infamous words of marvin gaye......
"When I get that feeling I want sexual healing ummmm baby its good for me" . . . ?
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Absolutely true on both counts!! I actually work in health care, and I wholeheartedly believe that health care is a human right. We need reform here. Something like Mitt Romney did in my home state of Massachusetts. I agree with this, even though I know that as a physician, I could expect a decrease in salary.
I think education is truly important for these at risk youth. Get them in school and in after school programs, motivate them and I am sure they can make a good life for themselves. This is truly what America is all about! The American dream.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:40 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a new one on me...please explain?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by ukecadet
That's a new one on me...please explain?
It's very similar to the lapdog Australians

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.