Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to telstra

Alternatives to telstra

Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:24 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alternatives to telstra

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
God do I know where you are coming from !!

I switched broadband and land line to iiNet. So far I haven't had to contact them for any reason in the 12 months since I signed up... I can't think of a better recommendation.
Attached Thumbnails Alternatives to telstra-approved.gif  
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I'm currently with:

MyNetFone: $5 a month phone (free call nationwide AND to UK)
TPG ADSL2+: $79 a month 40Gb peak 110Gb off peak (more than enough to serve all my entertainment needs so no need for ad-ridden foxtel)

..and Telstra: $20 a momth for the landline that I use ONLY for ADSL.
-------------

Having said that - to tidy up my billing and avoid having to do ANYTHING with Telstra I'm seriously considering switching to MyNetFone naked DSL 'cos their voip service has been faultless (and VERY cheap) for the last 3 years:

$100 a month for 80GB... - then all my telco needs are taken care of centrally and I dont deal with any corporate dinosaurs.
Just got an email from iinet and they have upgraded my plan for no extra cost, so for $70pm:
Peak: previous - 25Gb, now - 60Gb
Off-peak: previous - 45Gb, now 60Gb
Off-peak hours: previous - 2am-12pm, now - 1am-9am
Shaped speed: previous - 64kb, now - 128kb

So now it's 120Gb of ADSL2+ for $70. I have a very fast connection, I downloaded Spooks the other night - 500Mb in less than 10mins.

I'm very happy with iinet.

Last edited by Amazulu; Dec 17th 2009 at 7:57 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Amazulu
iinet
120Gb of ADSL2+ for $70..
And Telstra has this to offer, in comparison:

$129.95 BigPond Liberty ADSL2+ 100GB
$179.95 BigPond Liberty ADSL2+ 200GB

Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Speaking of the 'download limits', do any internet providers have unlimited download limits?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brav
Speaking of the 'download limits', do any internet providers have unlimited download limits?
aanet do have unlimited off peak plans.

eg:
ADSL2-25gb
Day time limit 25 GB pm ($3 /GB excess)
Off Peak No limit (off-peak period is 2AM - 10AM)
$39.90 month

Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
aanet do have unlimited off peak plans.

eg:
ADSL2-25gb
Day time limit 25 GB pm ($3 /GB excess)
Off Peak No limit (off-peak period is 2AM - 10AM)
$39.90 month
Thank you. Coming to Aus from the states (aren't many Americans that leave here so I've no where else to go but these forums) and the download limits on broadband kind of caught me by surprise.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And Telstra has this to offer, in comparison:

$129.95 BigPond Liberty ADSL2+ 100GB
$179.95 BigPond Liberty ADSL2+ 200GB
Why anyone would willingly go with Telstra for landline and/or internet is beyond me. I can understand using them for cellphone as they have nextG and extensive coverage, but for everything else, forget about it.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Some providers have Unlimited plans but as far as I know they are only on 1500 plans with a "fair use" policy- makes it a bit slow compared to ADSL2 on a 20000 plan
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mulben
Some providers have Unlimited plans but as far as I know they are only on 1500 plans with a "fair use" policy- makes it a bit slow compared to ADSL2 on a 20000 plan
Do any internet companies there use actual cable lines instead of the DSL crap?
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:50 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why anyone would willingly go with Telstra for landline and/or internet is beyond me. I can understand using them for cellphone as they have nextG and extensive coverage, but for everything else, forget about it.
Firstly I do not use Telstra for internet (and am not a fan) but for internet I would suggest there are a number of reasons why people do....

More ADSL2+ enabled exchanges especially out in the sticks.
(include the very few ISP that resell Telstra's ADSL2+ too)

Ease of setup and large numbers of high street shops... known brand... etc.. (this is more perception than reality)

Cable broadband only available in some areas (with speeds upto 100mb/s)...

Issues with RIM's and other pair gain technologies etc on new estates

Fibre broadband with only Telstra being an option in new estates.

They also have well managed and not overloaded backhaul (unlike some ISP's) but this is in part due to the price....

So it's kinda the same argument as the nextG side, there are specific reasons to use them but the are very expensive with dire customer service from the call centres...
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:56 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Do any internet companies there use actual cable lines instead of the DSL crap?
Yes the Cable crap and the fibre crap are used here along with several wireless crap technologies and sat. crap technologies too.... Much like the US...