Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aboriginal recognition

Wikiposts

Aboriginal recognition

Old Jun 17th 2015, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aboriginal recognition

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I don't want to sit on the fence but definitely don't want to ignore the slaughter inflicted on native Australians. We always remember those who fought in wars and died for us. Isn't it important to show the same respect to the people who were slaughtered by the people who arrived before us?
Sure. Fair point.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Beoz, I'm quite happy to just agree to disagree - I'm fine with being outnumbered in an argument; it's always lonely on the left in the antipodes

Knokoff Nige made some really insightful points, I thought
He did and he put it in the context of an activity that is performed in remembrance, like Steve suggested alterations to the constitution. I can't say I agree with them all, but they are actionable ideas which is good.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 9:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gibbo
We are "treated" every now and again, on these pages, to threads on this subject. Usually started by people who know very little about what successive governments have done for the aboriginal community, including handing many millions of dollars to aboriginal leaders to administer for the benefit of their people. The stolen generation was not peculiar to the aboriginal race, white women too had there children taken from them. Having spent almost 50 years in this country I know a fair amount about what governments have tried to do and with my work in education I met ,worked with and got to know many aborigines, most of whom were hardworking, nice people. They didn't think Australia was a racist country they were more out spoken about those who sat on their butts with their hands out for the dole. Ofcourse, this country isn't perfect but naming one cultural group in the constitution will divide the population, not bring everyone together as we would wish. I could write a thesis on this subject but I think I'd better stop.
Reading the constitution will teach someone all they need to know on the subject, which is recognizing them in the constitution. Think of it like someone building you a house, a lovely big house, the house of your dreams in fact. Then only saying thank you to the bloke who hung the wallpaper.

The handouts (paying the problem to go away) is precisely what has caused any divide in the first place, whether some actually exist or are Daily Mail type fabrications. I agree that we shouldn't be singling just one race out in the constitution, which is why these minor changes are so important, Australia's history stretches further back than is credited. Really not much to ask, and far more important than handouts or an apology.