Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aboriginal recognition

Aboriginal recognition

Old Jun 15th 2015, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aboriginal recognition

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I'd imagine they felt very much like they were, they're still treated like animals in places even today, so you can't honestly say they weren't 50 years ago. Oh and there you with all your lefty twaddle again. Have you read what's being proposed? Not singling anyone out for special recognition at all, unless you think getting rid of wording like thisSection 25 – which says the States can ban people from voting based on their race
is being bias. Like I say, this is very basic stuff, to argue against it is just plain silliness IMO

Not exactly sure why you seem to be getting an attitude, it doesn't bother me that you only did it cos you boss told you to.

How exactly do you know what I do or don't do? I merely said I don't contribute financially. Do you honestly think I can work in the Pilbara for over 3 years and not work with and get to know at least afew indigenous guys? Sometimes simply not being a dick can make a world of difference. (any smart reply to that, really isn't as smart as you might think)

You actually remind me of that bloke we all work with, or went to school with who says 'well I can't be racist I kissed an Indian girl once', kind of sad
I can do better than that. I dated one for 2 years. But I dont like working with Indians so that kind of evens it up.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
I can do better than that. I dated one for 2 years. But I dont like working with Indians so that kind of evens it up.
I wonder how they contain their disappointment
Old Jun 15th 2015, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how they contain their disappointment
I could take your lead, and buy it up in Asia
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

I could take your lead, and buy it up in Asia
I can't imagine you'd get anyone with anything worth selling

Don't say anything on an internet forum that you wouldn't stand by if you met the person face to face, that's quite an accusation you've made, but I'm happy to get as personal as you like. You can either apologise or I'll report the post
Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can we keep this civil please and just discuss the subject or go off tangent but avoid personal comments. Many thanks.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can we keep this civil please and just discuss the subject or go off tangent but avoid personal comments. Many thanks.
Wouldn't worry too much, just another accusation that sympathy/empathy or even concern for someone other that yourself somehow equates to left wing politics and a hatred of western society, quite pathetic really, specially with some of the personal stuff, out of order.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

"or go off tangent" - would never happen.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
"or go off tangent" - would never happen.
Well it is The Barbie. I thought putting 'stay on topic' would be dumb.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't worry too much, just another accusation that sympathy/empathy or even concern for someone other that yourself somehow equates to left wing politics and a hatred of western society, quite pathetic really, specially with some of the personal stuff, out of order.
I said that because it's true but I never got personal (and never would unless in return) so I hope you weren't referring to me
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I said that because it's true but I never got personal (and never would unless in return) so I hope you weren't referring to me
If I was I'd have directed it at you, but I didn't. I dislike your view on this, but we're all entitled to one.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Jun 15th 2015 at 9:25 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:23 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In your post #15, you were trying to make out that Australia, until 1967, considered Aboriginals to be animals (fauna). It's total shite but that's what you were trying to say - you know it, as do I

The fact that certain groups of rural Aboriginals were administered by wildlife departments was not very enlightened but does not mean that they were considered to be fauna - and they weren't
"Not very enlightened" does not begin describe the 'modus operandi' treatment of indigenous Australians, even up until the late 70s, most of it sanctioned by state and federal governments. An obvious example is the stolen generation but that was just one of many atrocities lawfully committed. They certainly were treated like animals and less than animals by a good many people and a lot of that was perfectly legal. And that history is recent for a lot of people - it's not so easy to "look to the future and move toward one nation" when it's your family, community, and culture that have suffered for generations and when that "one nation" doesn't include your culture or values.

Part of the difficulty of belonging to a minority culture is that it is always assumed that you will somehow represent your cultural or ethnic background. If you are indigenous then your non-indigenous friends might ask you for your view on something which they then interpret as "the indigenous view". If you do well in life, you are an example of someone from your culture who has done well; likewise, if you fall on hard times, this will partly be attributed to your cultural background. This goes some way to explaining why the aboriginal friend you have might brush off aboriginal concerns and wish to align with majority culture view.

We have this fundamental understanding of culture in NZ that is woven through healthcare, education, political life, law, and all aspects of cultural life - if you haven't lived here it's hard to understand; but it's not perfect, far from it. I don't see that in Australia; I don't see any real attempt or interest in bicultural understandings. In that respect I think it is a fundamentally racist society, arguably one of the most racist in the world when you scrutinize life chances in "the lucky country" by cultural background.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it is The Barbie. I thought putting 'stay on topic' would be dumb.
Hang on. It was on topic. Comparing aboriginals to Indian women is topical.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Hang on. It was on topic. Comparing aboriginals to Indian women is topical.
There are bound to be some Aboriginals who are smug, arrogant, self centred pricks who think they're clever too. So it would be on topic to call you one, but I wouldn't stoop so low

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Jun 15th 2015 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are bound to be some Aboriginals who are smug, arrogant, self centred pricks who think they're clever too.
Now now. You were warned not to get incite nastiness, be vindictive, and get personal. Shall I stoop again ........ no.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

Now now. You were warned not to get incite nastiness, be vindictive, and get personal. Shall I stoop again ........ no.
stoop all you like , seems to be your thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.