Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aboriginal recognition

Aboriginal recognition

Old Jun 14th 2015, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aboriginal recognition

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Was just watching a Frankie Boyle, post election internet show on youtube, Australia came out very badly in the racism discussion, in fact pre-1967 the aboriginals were legally classed as flora and fauna, which is something that rather shocked me
Was that classification created by the English inhabitants of the day?
Old Jun 14th 2015, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
Was that classification created by the English inhabitants of the day?
You're missing the point, intentionally I'd say, which is that Aboriginals weren't legally recognized as human beings til 48 years ago. Delving even further back in time so you can apportion blame elsewhere, isn't getting over it and moving on, it's carrying on in the same vein that's got us into a shameful situation in the first place.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You're missing the point, intentionally I'd say, which is that Aboriginals weren't legally recognized as human beings til 48 years ago. Delving even further back in time so you can apportion blame elsewhere, isn't getting over it and moving on, it's carrying on in the same vein that's got us into a shameful situation in the first place.
I'm not sure apportioning blame now towards anyone would help at all. What's done is done, those law makers responsible are long dead and buried. Importantly its time to move on, as one nation.

You raised the Frankie Boyle thing. I'm not exactly sure he's really in the right position to pass comment on Australia, and considering he's British, it kind of makes it worse considering the treatment of Aborigines by the British.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

I'm not sure apportioning blame now towards anyone would help at all. What's done is done, those law makers responsible are long dead and buried. Importantly its time to move on, as one nation.

You raised the Frankie Boyle thing. I'm not exactly sure he's really in the right position to pass comment on Australia, and considering he's British, it kind of makes it worse considering the treatment of Aborigines by the British.
Eh? What bearing do the British, more to the point Frankie Boyle have on the current situation? My reference to him was purely that it was on his show that a piece of information came my way

I agree with you that it's time to move on, however that'll never happen unless Australia takes sole responsibility for the current situation. It's in a mess, go to some towns out west and they're looked at and spoken about like they're no better than animals, which I personally find offencive to the extreme
Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eh? What bearing do the British, more to the point Frankie Boyle have on the current situation? My reference to him was purely that it was on his show that a piece of information came my way

I agree with you that it's time to move on, however that'll never happen unless Australia takes sole responsibility for the current situation. It's in a mess, go to some towns out west and they're looked at and spoken about like they're no better than animals, which I personally find offencive to the extreme
There's been an attempt by a previous government.

Apology to Australia's Indigenous peoples | australia.gov.au

If there's some local pockets which offend you, perhaps you should report it.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Was just watching a Frankie Boyle, post election internet show on youtube, Australia came out very badly in the racism discussion, in fact pre-1967 the aboriginals were legally classed as flora and fauna, which is something that rather shocked me
Utter rubbish

Another myth perpetuated by the left and aboriginal asshats with an axe to grind

Do your own research. There is a really good SBS article on this subject
Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Utter rubbish

Another myth perpetuated by the left and aboriginal asshats with an axe to grind

Do your own research. There is a really good SBS article on this subject
So prior to 1967 they weren't regulated by the Flora and Fauna act? Not everything is a lefty conspiracy you know, some 'lefties' are just people who give a shit about someone other than themselves.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So prior to 1967 they weren't regulated by the Flora and Fauna act? Not everything is a lefty conspiracy you know, some 'lefties' are just people who give a shit about someone other than themselves.
Just prior to 1967 they were not

Boyle is an asshole. Get your facts from a more reliable source than a prick like that
Old Jun 14th 2015, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

Just prior to 1967 they were not

Boyle is an asshole. Get your facts from a more reliable source than a prick like that
what do you mean by 'just' ?

An article I read had reference to just that, it just wasn't documented which department looked after indigenous affairs, many states just lumped it on flor and fauna. I'd be inclined to take the whole '**** it you take care of em' sound of that as even more of an insult TBH

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Jun 14th 2015 at 6:44 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 6:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

what do you mean by 'just' ?

An article I read had reference to just that, it just wasn't documented which department looked after indigenous affairs, many states just lumped it on flor and fauna. I'd be inclined to take the whole '**** it you take care of em' sound of that as even more of an insult TBH
Just was the wrong word to use so let's get that agenda issue out of the way. Apologies for my error

Let's not beat around the bush, what you and Boyle and those who want to make Australia look racist and backwards are trying to make out is that prior to 1967, Australia considered Aboriginals to be animals (fauna) and classified them as such - when they most certainly did not

Australia is no more racist than the UK - that was the case in 1967 and is the case today
Old Jun 14th 2015, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just was the wrong word to use so let's get that agenda issue out of the way. Apologies for my error

Let's not beat around the bush, what you and Boyle and those who want to make Australia look racist and backwards are trying to make out is that prior to 1967, Australia considered Aboriginals to be animals (fauna) and classified them as such - when they most certainly did not

Australia is no more racist than the UK - that was the case in 1967 and is the case today
Brits love trying to make Australia look racist. Didn't you know?

Kind of akin to the way Brits love shoving countries into a box and boringly banging on about whatever topic they come up with ....... forever. They make light of it as 'just taking the piss' but its pure racism.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 7:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Kind of akin to the way Brits love shoving countries into a box and boringly banging on about whatever topic they come up with ....... forever. They make light of it as 'just taking the piss' but its pure racism.
That moral high ground is mighty high
Old Jun 14th 2015, 7:30 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Let's have a constitutional recognition that all people are equal and nobody gets special privileges - now that's a message against discrimination I could get behind...
What vested interests do you have, I wonder, in your definition of equal?

That's a fine argument, if you are not the wronged party.

Let's not beat around the bush, what you and Boyle and those who want to make Australia look racist and backwards <snip>
TBH, Australia does look pretty racist to those of us overseas living in countries that are prepared to engage with the issues of indigenous rights and colonialism's legacy, even though such engagement is complex and thorny and sometimes feels without end. We have our own problems in NZ with settling the grievances of the past that are shown in the scars of today, but it's nothing like the situation in Australia, thank God, and I am proud of little NZ for that.

It always amuses me when people knock "lefties" and try to construct caring about other people, giving a shit about equality (real equality, not just equality that serves the status quo), and generally being a decent human being as something noxious and with a hidden agenda!
Old Jun 14th 2015, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

But prior to 1967, indigenous affairs were looked after by the flora and fauna departments. Are you saying that isn't true? When I took my missus to hospital as she went into labour, I'd have been pretty pissed if a vet walked in

Similarly, I think the fact that there is a referendum looming on whether or not the traditional occupants of this country should or shouldn't be recognised in its constitution is absolute proof of its backwardness. It's 2015 for Christs sake, if Australia doesn't want to appear backwards, it's time to stand up and be accountable for its own problems, and stop trying to pay the problem to go away. Just make it happen, equal rights, equal recognition, no special treatment for anyone who doesn't need it.

This is probably all a bit lefty and preachy, but my original issue is the fact that it's going to a vote. They're sussing out the wording of the question, FFS
Old Jun 14th 2015, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

Bullshit, it's a perfectly valid point, pinpoint the comparison I made to Britain

I don't give a monkeys where Britain stands in the racism table, my home is Australia, I'm a citizen and I have a voice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.