Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

80% will not be enough

80% will not be enough

Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 80% will not be enough

Originally Posted by Brisbannite
I'd take the sort of 'information' posted by Beoz with a large pinch handful of salt.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...icacy-fades-st
I don't think you have been following. (Or maybe following the granny a little too much).

What you aren't considering is the logarithmic speed of wane or when you will get your next booster, how available is it, or when the virus is going to bite you in the ass.

You have about 3 -4 months before Pfizer is starting to become pretty useless again symptomatic infection. Then what? You had your last dose 6 months ago its really ineffective by that point, Pfizer is feeding the developing world at that point, Australia can't get any Pfizer, and you've hung your hat on a dud where you could have just had the less waning AstraZeneca in plentiful supply.

Its not that hard to figure out.

I know you and your state has been hanging out for Pfizer for some bizarre reason, lets hope the new Northern NSW outbreak doesn't come and bite. Maybe it already has and you don't know and you left it too late because Janette Young said so. Remember even after your second dose its a few weeks before its effective.

Old Sep 29th 2021, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't think you have been following. (Or maybe following the granny a little too much).

What you aren't considering is the logarithmic speed of wane or when you will get your next booster, how available is it, or when the virus is going to bite you in the ass.

You have about 3 -4 months before Pfizer is starting to become pretty useless again symptomatic infection. Then what? You had your last dose 6 months ago its really ineffective by that point, Pfizer is feeding the developing world at that point, Australia can't get any Pfizer, and you've hung your hat on a dud where you could have just had the less waning AstraZeneca in plentiful supply.

Its not that hard to figure out.

I know you and your state has been hanging out for Pfizer for some bizarre reason, lets hope the new Northern NSW outbreak doesn't come and bite. Maybe it already has and you don't know and you left it too late because Janette Young said so. Remember even after your second dose its a few weeks before its effective.

"logarithmic speed of wane" more pseudoscience, as evidenced by you taking your reference from the FT who also brought us 'gems of wisdom" such as: "Covd-19 and the case against caution". I respectfully suggest that you learn to use Pubmed, or even Google Scholar.

Misinformation is bad. Good information is good.
"There's a lot of misinformation floating around, and it can be hard to know whether you're reading reasonable commentary, sensationalized content, or flat out misinformation. Here are some good sources of information about COVID-19 that are written to be accessible to the general public.
<snip>

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 29th 2021 at 8:47 am. Reason: copyright - link is in title
Old Sep 29th 2021, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

I am very, very grateful that our CHO and Premier bought us the time to get pfizer and moderna into our arms. They have done an amazing job.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 10:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am very, very grateful that our CHO and Premier bought us the time to get pfizer and moderna into our arms. They have done an amazing job.
Oh, get back under your bridge
Old Sep 29th 2021, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

"logarithmic speed of wane" more pseudoscience, as evidenced by you taking your reference from the FT who also brought us 'gems of wisdom" such as: "Covd-19 and the case against caution". I respectfully suggest that you learn to use Pubmed, or even Google Scholar.
And yet you aren't even vaccinated. Bright spark
Old Sep 29th 2021, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

When you have to resort to ad hominem attack you've already lost the argument.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey on the brightside, you are so late in getting vaccinated your Pfizer should last you until Xmas. Don't worry, you will still be figuring out how to live with Covid by then.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 1:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Use the quote system otherwise it looks like you're arguing with yourself!
Old Sep 29th 2021, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Beoz, saw this & thought of you. Have a lovely day

How effective are the Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines?

Old Sep 30th 2021, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey Beoz, saw this & thought of you. Have a lovely day

How effective are the Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines?

And that article says what .......... ? In summary, they are effective and they wane.

But here's your problem, where will you be in 6 months from getting your Pfizer trophy? Deep in a lockdown? Or deep in living with COVID. Unless you are prepared to switch it wouldn't want to be the latter.

mRNA vaccines are in short supply and it isn't that simple to turn on mRNA factories, and the developing world is currently brewing the next wave of variants, so its pretty certain your best bet, and same with me, is to jump on the longer lasting AstraZeneca as there is shit loads of it.

And by the way, latest studies on Pfizer out of Israel are showing a 16% efficacy of symptomatic infection for those who were vaccinated in January. OUCH. Not good. And thats right, if you were vaccinated in July like I was, I have a pretty damn good chance of catching it around the Christmas table. And given Israel is one of the only countries offering boosters to all age groups, where as all the others are only offering it to the elderly and vulnerable, unless you are either of those, it doesn't look good.

This picture out of Israel should help you out.

Last edited by Beoz; Sep 30th 2021 at 6:55 am.
Old Sep 30th 2021, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

The JCVI (UK) published some excellent advice on Covd-19 booster vaccinations and who should get them. I suspect we will see a similar advisory issued in Australia very soon

Some salient points:
The JCVI advises a preference for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for the booster programme, regardless of which vaccine brand someone received for their primary doses. This follows data from the COV-BOOST trial that indicates the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is well tolerated as a third dose and provides a strong booster response.

Alternatively, a half dose of the Moderna vaccine may be offered. Where mRNA vaccines cannot be offered, for example due to allergies, the AstraZeneca vaccine may be considered for those who received it previously.
and

The COVID-19 vaccines provide high levels of protection against hospitalisation or dying from the virus. To maintain this high level of protection through the coming winter, the JCVI is advising that booster vaccines be offered to those more at risk from serious disease, and who were vaccinated during Phase 1 of the vaccine programme (priority groups 1 to 9).

This includes:
  • those living in residential care homes for older adults
  • all adults aged 50 years or over
  • frontline health and social care workers
  • all those aged 16 to 49 years with underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk of severe COVID-19, and adult carers
  • adult household contacts of immunosuppressed individuals
The JCVI advises that the booster vaccine dose is offered no earlier than 6 months after completion of the primary vaccine course, in the same order as during Phase 1.
This is the link if you want to view the full UK Government report https://www.gov.uk/government/news/j...er-vaccination

I'm happy with that and don't see a problem tbh.

Last edited by Brisbannite; Sep 30th 2021 at 7:39 am.
Old Sep 30th 2021, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The JCVI (UK) published some excellent advice on Covd-19 booster vaccinations and who should get them. I suspect we will see a similar advisory issued in Australia very soon

Some salient points:

and

This is the link if you want to view the full UK Government report https://www.gov.uk/government/news/j...er-vaccination

I'm happy with that and don't see a problem tbh.
Why did you repeat what I said?
Old Sep 30th 2021, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

"And thats right, if you were vaccinated in July like I was, I have a pretty damn good chance of catching it around the Christmas table".
i requiem meam doleat
Old Oct 14th 2021, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

The JCVI (UK) published some excellent advice on Covd-19 booster vaccinations and who should get them. I suspect we will see a similar advisory issued in Australia very soon <snip>
oh look, my prediction was very accurate:

Booster shot for severely immunocompromised Australians

Old Dec 1st 2021, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh, get back under your bridge
As you can see, I am still very grateful to those two individuals to have bought us the extra time to get those shots into our arms, and we're still headed for 90% coverage early next year (with every chance of getting our under 5's vaccinate too in the not to distant future). Just what that has to do with being under a bridge is beyond me but no doubt it had some significance for you, fair enough.

Anyway, folks. I'm out of here now and will let you good people continue in your discussions. I just popped in to see how the long-termers were doing in these difficult times and stayed way longer than I planned.

All the best Bevs, don't give up on the UK its worth pursuing even if it takes a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.