Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

80% will not be enough

80% will not be enough

Old Sep 14th 2021, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 80% will not be enough

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
'Plus the 182 pre 21 days...., They supposedly had some protection.

Thing is Beoz most of these victims are over 80 years old and have pre existing chronic conditions.

Yep average age of 84.

I guess you would hope, that the 182 pre 21 days would become a thing of the past after the initial round. And hopefully the vax companies get better at making it and dealing with variants as time draws on.

Definitely enough there to move on.

Maybe not for Queensland. I reckon they will struggle to get 70% without a decent outbreak forcing the issue,

Old Sep 14th 2021, 3:49 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Haven't we passed the everyone who wants it? Maybe not for the 12-18 year olds as ATAGI hasn't approved AZ for that group yet. They should though. But for the +18's, there is no longer an excuse.
I don't think so - many areas still waiting on supply I think.

Most areas no where near getting everyone double dosed plus 21 days. Probably end of the year for that.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 3:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

....Maybe not for Queensland. I reckon they will struggle to get 70% without a decent outbreak forcing the issue,
Why the hard on for QLD - you know they are ahead of WA in vaccination rates right?
Old Sep 14th 2021, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I don't think so - many areas still waiting on supply I think.

Most areas no where near getting everyone double dosed plus 21 days. Probably end of the year for that.
Where is waiting on supply? We are told we are swimming in AstraZeneca, the better vaccine.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why the hard on for QLD - you know they are ahead of WA in vaccination rates right?
Because Qld needs to open up for the sake of its economy where as WA could build a wall with its mining cash and only upset those who need to see family. Plus all the irrational thoughts of Palette and the Granny make Qld so much fun to poke at.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 9:06 am

Where is waiting on supply? We are told we are swimming in AstraZeneca, the better vaccine.
Just about everywhere is waiting because everyone is waiting on Pfizer. That's due in part to the bad press for AZ, as seen on here by some people.

Even then, getting any vaccine out to some areas will be slow going - and getting enough doses into arms in high density areas is also slow going.

For us, and states like QLD, WA, etc - it really does need to speed up so that we reach vaccine targets before delta makes it here.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just about everywhere is waiting because everyone is waiting on Pfizer. That's due in part to the bad press for AZ, as seen on here by some people.

Even then, getting any vaccine out to some areas will be slow going - and getting enough doses into arms in high density areas is also slow going.

For us, and states like QLD, WA, etc - it really does need to speed up so that we reach vaccine targets before delta makes it here.
Why on earth would anyone wait for Pfizer? Its proving to be the worst vaccine out of the lot available here. Just look at Israel which is entirely vaccinated on Pfizer. I am switching it up to AstraZeneca. I want the longer power and a locally made brew that I don't have to get in the world wide queue for. If Moderna comes along maybe that, but AZ is proving the front runner if I am in a position to choose next time due to its abundance. I get a feeling we are going to need a lot of boosters.

Interesting article on Moderna v Pfizer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...evels-in-study

And thats the thing isn't it, people sitting tight thinking there is no Covid. It can hit you pretty quick and before you know it everyone is scrambling for a shot
Old Sep 14th 2021, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BTW did I read somewhere Janette Young's husband is a regular receiver of kick backs from Pfizer so she has personal financial interests in making AZ look like crap?
Old Sep 14th 2021, 11:22 am

BTW did I read somewhere Janette Young's husband is a regular receiver of kick backs from Pfizer so she has personal financial interests in making AZ look like crap?
Judging from this paper, that would be back in 2011 or earlier - https://www.asid.net.au/documents/item/139

And his colleague and co-author would add Astra Zeneca to the mix

So, no he does not have financial interests in making AZ look bad in my opinion but I only did a quick google and avoided FB and Bitchute stories.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Judging from this paper, that would be back in 2011 or earlier - https://www.asid.net.au/documents/item/139

And his colleague and co-author would add Astra Zeneca to the mix

So, no he does not have financial interests in making AZ look bad in my opinion but I only did a quick google and avoided FB and Bitchute stories.
Snippets but not much concrete evidence I do agree.

However I do find it strange that a great vaccine in AZ that stops death and hospitalisation has not received the greatest push from the QLD CHO
Old Sep 14th 2021, 12:18 pm

Snippets but not much concrete evidence I do agree.

However I do find it strange that a great vaccine in AZ that stops death and hospitalisation has not received the greatest push from the QLD CHO
Wouldn't her comments be in line with the ATAGI guidelines for QLD though? Which is exactly how NSW CHO views how AZ should be used.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wouldn't her comments be in line with the ATAGI guidelines for QLD though? Which is exactly how NSW CHO views how AZ should be used.
The advice never prevented anyone under 50 or 60 approaching a GP to discuss the risks around the vaccine. That was the advice. Talk to your GP.

What Young say was "I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca,". That's irresponsible on not her call. It's the decision of the taker and the GP.

The advice was always based on risk. Given Covid could and will jump the border at any time, having your population vaccinated now is the right call.

The NSW CHO is of the view that any vaccine is a good vaccine. Just get vaccinated.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 12:32 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would anyone wait for Pfizer? Its proving to be the worst vaccine out of the lot available here. Just look at Israel which is entirely vaccinated on Pfizer. I am switching it up to AstraZeneca. I want the longer power and a locally made brew that I don't have to get in the world wide queue for. If Moderna comes along maybe that, but AZ is proving the front runner if I am in a position to choose next time due to its abundance. I get a feeling we are going to need a lot of boosters.
How much of that is due to the time delay between the AZ and Pfizer shots ?
Old Sep 15th 2021, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take the sort of 'information' posted by Beoz with a large pinch handful of salt.

Both vaccines reached roughly the same efficacy rates in protecting against infection from Delta after around 4–5 months, the study authors conclude.

Those with signs of previous COVID-19 infection showed the strongest resistance after being vaccinated, the analysis showed – a finding that could spur those who have previously had the virus to get vaccinated.......

A report on the study in the medical journal Nature concludes that Pfizer is around 92% effective at stopping people from developing a high viral load 14 days after the second dose.

Nature reports the study as showing the vaccine’s efficacy declined to 90% after 30 days, 85% after 60 days and 78% after 90 days. AstraZeneca’s efficacy began at 69% a fortnight after the second dose, falling to 61% after 90 days, the journal reports.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...icacy-fades-st
Old Sep 19th 2021, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisbannite
I'd take the sort of 'information' posted by Beoz with a large pinch handful of salt.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...icacy-fades-st
Have you seen anything else on Moderna? (I did note the passing, inconclusive mention in your linked article.)

My youngest offspring is newly eligible, and will get first-shot Pfizer by default in a few weeks, which is fine for the moment. But there's still time to switch to the New New Thing, if more recent data on Moderna's efficacy vs Delta is available. I confess to having had some "pre-print fatigue" recently, so might have missed something.

Last edited by abner; Sep 19th 2021 at 10:33 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.