Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

“aborigines,” ??

“aborigines,” ??

Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: “aborigines,” ??

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Anyone else find it interesting that Vash has yet to re-appear on this thread?
I expect a misty eyed oratory on the Australian multicultural miracle shortly!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:05 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I expect a misty eyed oratory on the Australian multicultural miracle shortly!
all of it completely paraphrased from Wikipedia of course
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:36 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I said that it sounded like drivel, and to a Europeans ears it does. There seems to be almost no start or end to any of the words and whole sentences just blur by in a stream of odd noises.

you meant it sounds like drivel to your ears...

just sounds like another language to me...

I've heard aboriginal languages spoken many a time.

Some of the languages from northern australia have have a couple of similar words to indonesian ... in particular a reference to a dutch/white person... shows the indonesians were telling indigenous Aussies about the dutch a few hundred years ago..
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:49 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by copa
you meant it sounds like drivel to your ears...

just sounds like another language to me...

I've heard aboriginal languages spoken many a time.

Some of the languages from northern australia have have a couple of similar words to indonesian ... in particular a reference to a dutch/white person... shows the indonesians were telling indigenous Aussies about the dutch a few hundred years ago..
Yep drivel to my ears... which are obviously not as attuned as yours. Good for you.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
Some of the languages from northern australia have have a couple of similar words to indonesian ... in particular a reference to a dutch/white person.
Which translates into English as "white ******s". I hear it every time I visit Broome - "You white ******s, you stole our land".
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:27 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Which translates into English as "white ******s". I hear it every time I visit Broome - "You white ******s, you stole our land".
I suppose technically that would be correct.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

deadlock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Anyone else find it interesting that Vash has yet to re-appear on this thread?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:22 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I saw the program. Aboriginal languages sound very strange to me, but I wouldn't use the word "drivel." Quite apart from being immensely subjective, it's also culturally insensitive.

I know Poms struggle with muliculturalism, but you could at least try to make an effort.
ummmmm
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
Yes, but they weren't really doing a lot with it
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I suppose technically that would be correct.
Not really, under the Aboriginal beliefs, no one can “own” the land, the land owns the people. So by their own belief system, it’s impossible for anyone to steel if from them.

Besides, they are originally from Indonesia; they just got here a long time ago. And after 40,000 years haven’t done much, look how much other civilisations have done in much less time, in Europe, Asia, South America.

A lot of countries have been occupied and colonised throughout history, most people got over it and got on with life. I think the Aborigines of today need to build a bridge and get over it, they need to move on and do something with their life.

And for any Australian, or actually anyone living here who thinks it’s terrible that their land was “stolen”, then why don’t you give up your piece of land to them and head back to your homeland, after all... you just bought stolen property. Hypocrites.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:27 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Not really, under the Aboriginal beliefs, no one can “own” the land, the land owns the people. So by their own belief system, it’s impossible for anyone to steel if from them.

Besides, they are originally from Indonesia; they just got here a long time ago. And after 40,000 years haven’t done much, look how much other civilisations have done in much less time, in Europe, Asia, South America.

A lot of countries have been occupied and colonised throughout history, most people got over it and got on with life. I think the Aborigines of today need to build a bridge and get over it, they need to move on and do something with their life.

And for any Australian, or actually anyone living here who thinks it’s terrible that their land was “stolen”, then why don’t you give up your piece of land to them and head back to your homeland, after all... you just bought stolen property. Hypocrites.

We are all originally from Africa.

I think your comment "40,000 years and [they] haven’t done much" shows a misunderstanding of the culture of Indigenous Australians.

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Mar 10th 2010 at 9:38 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

We are all originally from Africa.

I think your comment "40,000 years and [they] haven’t done much" shows a misunderstanding of the culture of Indigenous Australians.
I watched a programme on the box about the lack of native Australian development over hundreds of years. The theory that the programme was pushing is it's all down to wind. Apparently, the kind of wind that they have in Australia is particularly good at stripping the soil of it's nutients and blowing it out to sea. This meant that settled farming was never an option for them so their culture continued to be based on a hunter gatherer nomadic lifestyle. In my opinion their culture is more advanced than ours because at least theirs it's sustainable.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by paulry
I watched a programme on the box about the lack of native Australian development over hundreds of years. The theory that the programme was pushing is it's all down to wind. Apparently, the kind of wind that they have in Australia is particularly good at stripping the soil of it's nutients and blowing it out to sea. This meant that settled farming was never an option for them so their culture continued to be based on a hunter gatherer nomadic lifestyle. In my opinion their culture is more advanced than ours because at least theirs it's sustainable.
Indeed. Sustainability is something Westernised countries will increasingly need get to grips with, we cannot simply continue to exploit the earth for financial gain.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed. Sustainability is something Westernised countries will increasingly need get to grips with, we cannot simply continue to exploit the earth for financial gain.
It's amazing just how much of the earth has been raped in the short time we have had the capacity to do so on a big scale. Another few decades like this and we may be too late to fix it.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
New South Wales isn't called that for nothing mate... its because large parts of it look just like South Wales. It's not a barren, wind swept, desert.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.