Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

“aborigines,” ??

“aborigines,” ??

Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:37 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: “aborigines,” ??

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Now that makes sense!Besides ,to the other poster who mentioned the aborigines had'nt "done much".Whats wrong with that?Do you judge a persons worthiness on how much they've accomplished?Or how much they havent?Most treat their land with the upmost respect,which us "whities"have alot to learn from.
They managed to survive 40,000 years in the outback most of us would die in a week left alone out there. We would have no idea where to track animals for food and water like they do.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
They managed to survive 40,000 years in the outback most of us would die in a week left alone out there. We would have no idea where to track animals for food and water like they do.
True and on the other hand most of them have no idea how to live in our world.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:59 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
...and just how many of them would have survived more than a week on a Scottish moor in January?. It's a dumb argument.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and just how many of them would have survived more than a week on a Scottish moor in January?. It's a dumb argument.
They might do OK actually...

more to the point, how have the Scots managed it for so long?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
The aboriginal way of life, like that of the Native American or the Carib Indian was always going to wiped out, just a question of who and when. The romantic notion that these people led an idyllic is also flawed. They all fought bitterly between tribes and only their level numbers and limited advancement technologically, stopped whole clans being wiped out. Just other human beings, they warred, they stole, they killed.
There were other reasons they didn't all kill each other. Many tribes did have agreed boundaries - crossing tribes displayed smoke as they crossed the land for notification and permission. There were fully developed inter-tribal rules. But your right in the sense that tribal numbers stayed at a sustainable level dictated by nature.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
They might do OK actually...

more to the point, how have the Scots managed it for so long?
We know where the pubs are?
Actually, it's amazing that given the population of the UK, there are still isolated places all over the, like the Brecon Beacons for example, where special forces can practice survival techniques etc.
My father in law used to take survival classes on some of the uninhabited Scottish Islands and on more than one occasion was stranded there with the group while the weather cleared to allow the boat to pick up.
One such night a half full keg of Tennents beer washed up on shore and they had a beer to go with the cormorant dinner!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fish.01
There were other reasons they didn't all kill each other. Many tribes did have agreed boundaries - crossing tribes displayed smoke as they crossed the land for notification and permission. There were fully developed inter-tribal rules. But your right in the sense that tribal numbers stayed at a sustainable level dictated by nature.
It's a fascinating way of life and culture, but throughout man's history these type of people have been assimilated or destroyed by a more powerful people, from Day one. Doesn't make it right of course but it does seem to follow natures law of survival of the fittest.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
True in some respects but tribal societies do not mine minerals from the ground, create polluting industries, chop down vast swaths of forest for agriculture and housing etc.
As Meatloaf used to say "You took the words right out of my mouth"
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by livinginreality
As Meatloaf used to say "You took the words right out of my mouth"
On a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
It's a fascinating way of life and culture, but throughout man's history these type of people have been assimilated or destroyed by a more powerful people, from Day one. Doesn't make it right of course but it does seem to follow natures law of survival of the fittest.
Exactly, others did it, not themselves. So it I guess I'm trying to emphasise that they did have a successful society going on. Some Australians try and down play their society to down play the subsequent destruction and I don't like that approach. Even if saying it would have happened anyway we still should acknowledge that something good was lost. Not aimed at your comment just a broader point.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

Exactly, others did it, not themselves. So it I guess I'm trying to emphasise that they did have a successful society going on. Some Australians try and down play their society to down play the subsequent destruction and I don't like that approach. Even if saying it would have happened anyway we still should acknowledge that something good was lost. Not aimed at your comment just a broader point.
"we still should acknowledge that something good was lost".

By the time the last aborigine met 'civilisation' in 1964, that civilisation had ships that sailed the worlds oceans, railways travelling at hundreds of KPH, and satellites in orbit. The aborigine had hair belts and a bent stick.

What did we lose?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:40 am
Account Closed

By the time the last aborigine met 'civilisation' in 1964, that civilisation had ships that sailed the worlds oceans, railways travelling at hundreds of KPH, and satellites in orbit. The aborigine had hair belts and a bent stick.

What did we lose?
A simpler way of living. I don't want to live like that but I am definitely past the material money fest that life today is, with the complications and strains of the modern world.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What did we lose?
The aboriginal culture was perfect for sustaining human life on this continent for long periods....they obviously managed to survive for a long time without significantly degrading the country.

To do this they developed a lot of knowledge of this country and how to live in it from finding food, water, fixing themselves when they were ill, dealing with seasons and a lot more. A lot of the those skills have been lost.

Whether we value them or not they had some remarkable skills developed over 1000's of years - the jury is still out whether our more developed way of living is sustainable over 1000's of years so they might come back into vogue one day
Old Mar 12th 2010, 1:57 am
Account Closed

The aboriginal culture was perfect for sustaining human life on this continent for long periods....they obviously managed to survive for a long time without significantly degrading the country.

To do this they developed a lot of knowledge of this country and how to live in it from finding food, water, fixing themselves when they were ill, dealing with seasons and a lot more. A lot of the those skills have been lost.

Whether we value them or not they had some remarkable skills developed over 1000's of years - the jury is still out whether our more developed way of living is sustainable over 1000's of years so they might come back into vogue one day
That's the thing though... what was man doing in Europe 40,000 years ago?
Pretty much the same as the aboriginals were doing in Australia... but we moved on.. we progressed.

WE have remarkable skills. I'm part of a technological society that has the capability to connect all of mankind. Don't you find that more remarkable than being able to scratch an existence from the Outback?.
We think it amazing that they have 'skills' we don't... but our ancestors used to have exactly the same skills for surviving in the European environment... we lost those skills because we improved our personal environment to the point that they are no longer needed.

If I need to find food and water now, I go to Woolworths or turn on a tap.
To fix myself when I'm ill I either take medications or contact a doctor.. Dealing with the seasons.. I have shelter, heat, light, air-conditioning.

If we can't sustain that way of life then that doesn't mean the 'old' ways were right all along... it means we regressed.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:18 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

To a degree they did do it as well. Later aboriginals displaced earlier ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.