Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

“aborigines,” ??

“aborigines,” ??

Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: “aborigines,” ??

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
40,000 years of achieving nothing is an evolutionary cul-de-sac. To be honest I fail to comprehend how any human society can not progress over 40,000 years. It goes against everything that the rest of humanity is about.

"more power in doing nothing"
Doing nothing didn't come in that useful for the Aborigine did it?
Why not?The majority seem to be doing ok,but I guess if you are measuring it by white mans standards???Who's got a better life?(I'm not talking about an aborigine who is sat on a street corner zonked out of their heads here)An aborigine who is living a "natural"lifestyle,or us who go out slogging it every day,and coming home too exhausted to do much else?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Why not?The majority seem to be doing ok,but I guess if you are measuring it by white mans standards???Who's got a better life?(I'm not talking about an aborigine who is sat on a street corner zonked out of their heads here)An aborigine who is living a "natural"lifestyle,or us who go out slogging it every day,and coming home too exhausted to do much else?
See post #133
Old Mar 13th 2010, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

See post #133
Can't be bothered finding it,too exhausted!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:41 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

40,000 years of achieving nothing is an evolutionary cul-de-sac. To be honest I fail to comprehend how any human society can not progress over 40,000 years. It goes against everything that the rest of humanity is about.

"more power in doing nothing"
Doing nothing didn't come in that useful for the Aborigine did it?
There's a range of anthropological and environmental reasons for this. Major factors include the lack of certain animals that we used in our farming methods such as cattle, sheep ect.

What is more amazing is that Western culture has thrust a couple of thousand years of technology on Indigenous Australians in 150/200 years.

BTW, in no way do I adhere to the idea that 'they did no progress'. It's a fascinating and rich range of cultures and I take great pride in working with Indigenous Australia.

Paul.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by diddy
There's a range of anthropological and environmental reasons for this. Major factors include the lack of certain animals that we used in our farming methods such as cattle, sheep ect.

What is more amazing is that Western culture has thrust a couple of thousand years of technology on Indigenous Australians in 150/200 years.

BTW, in no way do I adhere to the idea that 'they did no progress'. It's a fascinating and rich range of cultures and I take great pride in working with Indigenous Australia.

Paul.
Nice post Paul,I'm glad someone can see where I am coming from!You must have a very interesting job,I would of loved to have been able to work with Aborigines.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:08 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy

Paul.
Good points. Where would we have been without the beasts of burden.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
Driving tractors.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Probably alot better off!I'd rather be gathering berries in my own time,than working my now 37.5 hrs per week!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 11:07 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Probably alot better off!I'd rather be gathering berries in my own time,than working my now 37.5 hrs per week!
I suspect that gathering berries for a living will be a bit tougher than blackberry picking in late summer. You'll also need to be happy eating grasshoppers, ants, maggots, worms and squeezing drinking water from dung balls
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suspect that gathering berries for a living will be a bit tougher than blackberry picking in late summer. You'll also need to be happy eating grasshoppers, ants, maggots, worms and squeezing drinking water from dung balls
You think so?I have friends that live in benders in a forest in Scotland.They seem to be doing alright!(A bender is a dwelling made of hazel wood and canvas)
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

You think so?I have friends that live in benders in a forest in Scotland.They seem to be doing alright!(A bender is a dwelling made of hazel wood and canvas)
Tramps then?

"A dwelling made of hazel wood and canvas" sounds so much more refined than "under the local railway arch"
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

And are they doing it without signing on?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps then?

"A dwelling made of hazel wood and canvas" sounds so much more refined than "under the local railway arch"
Don't be so insulting!No where near tramps,they have very rich lives,just not in monetary terms which most people base their lives on.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And are they doing it without signing on?
Thats right.They get paid a small allowance from the forest owner to be guardians.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:33 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be so insulting!No where near tramps,they have very rich lives,just not in monetary terms which most people base their lives on.
Agreed. I don't like the racist attitudes I hear about Aboriginal people, which are mostly misguided.

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Mar 23rd 2010 at 9:08 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.