“aborigines,” ??

Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:32 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: “aborigines,” ??

Love the irony Vash. Got a couple there I reckon
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:45 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Love the irony Vash. Got a couple there I reckon
Unless you are referring to the chips on his shoulder then I fail to see the irony in his post.....unless of course you subscribe to the Alanis Morrisette definition of Ironic, in which case everything can be defined as such??????
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Unless you are referring to the chips on his shoulder then I fail to see the irony in his post.....unless of course you subscribe to the Alanis Morrisette definition of Ironic, in which case everything can be defined as such??????
Sounded ironic to me. Not in the Alanis Morrisette mode either 'cause none of that is really ironic. What would be ironic is a car full of town planners getting stuck in a traffic jam on the way to a convention.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:28 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I saw the program. Aboriginal languages sound very strange to me, but I wouldn't use the word "drivel." Quite apart from being immensely subjective, it's also culturally insensitive.

I know Poms struggle with muliculturalism, but you could at least try to make an effort.
It's strange that someone who has lived in the UK can have such little knowledge of its history.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
It's strange that someone who has lived in the UK can have such little knowledge of its history.
Or maybe he was being ironic. How's your knowledge of Aussie history?

Allegedly you need a licence for everything and can't change your own plugs.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:38 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe he was being ironic. How's your knowledge of Aussie history?

Allegedly you need a licence for everything and can't change your own plugs.
Maybe, irony doesn't really come across very well on t'internet. Just though it was a strange comment to make.

My knowledge of Australian history is pretty good. It's an interest of mine.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:52 pm
Banned

Sounded ironic to me. Not in the Alanis Morrisette mode either 'cause none of that is really ironic. What would be ironic is a car full of town planners getting stuck in a traffic jam on the way to a convention.
Yes, they should be travelling by public transport or by bike.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

For the first time in months Vash you actually posted something that was quite sensible and then you went and spoilt it with the final line.

Please do enlighten us as to the amazing advancements that Australia has made with regards to multi-culturalism. I would love some examples of this in operation here.
It's fascinating addressing the perceived difference in multi-culturalism and the way it has been implemented (or worked out) in UK/Australia.

I think it is much of a muchness.

But some Australians seem to think it has worked better in Australia - (some might say because migrants have been to an extent Australianised) whilst GB commentators - (a little bitter from personal experience perhaps) say it's been a nightmare.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's fascinating addressing the perceived difference in multi-culturalism and the way it has been implemented (or worked out) in UK/Australia.

I think it is much of a muchness.

But some Australians seem to think it has worked better in Australia - (some might say because migrants have been to an extent Australianised) whilst GB commentators - (a little bitter from personal experience perhaps) say it's been a nightmare.
Sorry more thoughts. Quite a few Australian forum commentators have talked about the differences between racism, ethnicity, nationalism - I forget the examples and terms now - they do appear to think there is a difference and that UK definitions are even odd. This may of course be borne of a different approach/understanding (after all).

I for one just hope everyone gets on with everyone else - end of.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:25 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

unless you give up your religion or your previous culture I don't believe Australia is that accepting.
Take the issues around building Islamic schools, the uproar from the communities around this across Australia was huge and completely unreasonable. Victimisation of Indian people. I agree, it is much of muchness.

What I do see is Britain embracing other cultures more openly (Diwali, Notting Hill Carnival), while Australia expects those foreign cultures to fully integrate and renounce any of their previous culture. That's not multi-culturalism at all, that's just multiple cultures being assimilated into a single culture
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

unless you give up your religion or your previous culture I don't believe Australia is that accepting.
Take the issues around building Islamic schools, the uproar from the communities around this across Australia was huge and completely unreasonable. Victimisation of Indian people. I agree, it is much of muchness.

What I do see is Britain embracing other cultures more openly (Diwali, Notting Hill Carnival), while Australia expects those foreign cultures to fully integrate and renounce any of their previous culture. That's not multi-culturalism at all, that's just multiple cultures being assimilated into a single culture
Agree in part. But some of this will be literally show. But I've noticed in Australia that incoming nationalities still keep all their traditions - they don't give them up too quickly.

The most bizarre Australians are often ones who have fully embraced ridgy-didge Australian culture - 'you beauty' yet still have all their food, their ways and tastes - enough for people to notice and in some cases, make fun of in turn. Case in point in Melbourne - some Greek, South American people. Now that's very Australian - (not uniquely).

Look at the private schools in Melbourne - there are hundreds of boys and girls from ethnic minorities - that's a word I haven't heard in years....
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:06 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Look at the private schools in Melbourne - there are hundreds of boys and girls from ethnic minorities - that's a word I haven't heard in years....
but that is also the case in many UK schools too.

I just think that if Aus can be called truely multicultural then the UK is even more so and has more of a history of it. To use today's displeasure at the influx of Eastern European people in Britain is wrong as it is nothing new. The same was felt in the 50s and 60s with people coming from India and the Carribean. It is pretty fair to say that Britain has now become comfortable with people of those nationalities and their cultures that they keep.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:47 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

The same was felt in the 50s and 60s with people coming from India and the Carribean. It is pretty fair to say that Britain has now become comfortable with people of those nationalities and their cultures that they keep.
Surely you're joking?

Britain is "comfortable" with its Indian/Pakistani communities. You're pulling my leg...
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:56 am
Account Closed

Funny you should say that. I posted some of my Holi pictures on facebook and my mate Reshma said it was sad that they don't celebrate it in the UK.

The Holi festival is run by the same people who run the Diwali festival.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 8th 2010 at 2:00 am.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:08 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Take the issues around building Islamic schools, the uproar from the communities around this across Australia was huge and completely unreasonable.
In your view. Obviously not in the view of the local populous

Seems to work better than the British model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.